像美人鱼一样游泳
Swimming like a mermaid
Welcome to 6 Minute English, the programme where we explore an interesting topic and bring you some useful items vocabulary.
欢迎来到六分钟英语,在这个节目我们会探讨一个有趣的话题,以及为人们带来一些有用的词汇。
I'm Rob.
我是罗伯。
And I'm Neil.
我是尼尔。
Now Neil, I know you're a keen swimmer.
尼尔,我知道你喜欢游泳。
I am. I try to get to the pool once a week and do a few lengths, yes.
是的。我尽量每周去泳池一次,游游泳,是这样的。
That's good to hear, because swimming is one of the best sports for keeping fit.
很高兴听你这样说,因为游泳是保持健康的最佳运动之一。
It's an aerobic exercise.
游泳是一种有氧运动。
Aerobic means a very active type of exercise that makes your heart and lungs stronger.
有氧运动是指增强心肺功能的一种有效锻炼方式。
The opposite of this is anaerobic.
它的的反义词是无氧的。
And for my question today Neil, I wonder if you know which of these activities is an example of anaerobic exercise?
尼尔,今天我的问题是你是否知道这些运动中哪个是无氧运动?
a) weightlifting b) kickboxing or c) dancing?
a)举重 b)跆拳道 还是c)跳舞?
I don't have a clue but I'll pick my favourite sport – a) weightlifting.
我没有头绪,但是我选我最喜欢的运动-a)举重。
Wow! Is that really your favourite sport?
哇!那真是你最喜欢的运动吗?
Right. Anyway, we'll find out the answer at the end of the programme.
好吧。反正在节目最后我们会找出答案。
So what about you Rob?
那么你呢,罗伯?
Do you visit the swimming pool very often?
你经常来游泳池吗?
Only to use the cafe!
只是去那的咖啡馆。
I don't like anything aquatic.
我不喜欢任何水上活动。
I mean connected to water.
我是指和水有关的。
I just don't like getting wet.
我只是不喜欢弄得湿漉漉的。
And swimming up and down a pool is just boring!
而且在水里游上游下很无聊。
Well, there are alternatives to plain swimming.
好吧,除了普通游泳外还有其它的选择。
There's synchronised swimming.
还有花样游泳。
Synchronised, that's moving together at the same time or speed as someone else.
同步的,那是指和其他人一起同时或者同速移动。
Like dancing in water I suppose.
我猜就像是在水中跳舞。
Hmm, I'm not a good dancer either.
嗯,我也不是一个好的舞者。
How about the new craze of 'mermaiding', which is making a splash at the moment, in other words becoming very popular.
那新热潮美人鱼泳怎么样?现在美人鱼泳引起巨大轰动,换句话说就是变得非常流行。
The idea originated in America but is now popular in the UK and Europe.
这个创意源于美国,但是现在在英国和欧洲都流行起来。
OK. Tell me more!
不错,多告诉我些!
Let's hear from an expert – Emma Longden, who's founder of Fin2Fit,
让我们听一下专家艾玛•朗登是怎么说的,她是Fin2Fit的创办者。
which runs classes, teaching the skills of swimming safely like a mermaid.
Fin2Fit开办课程教授人们像美人鱼一样安全游泳的技巧。
Mermaiding is putting a monofin on your feet, putting a beautiful tail on and getting in the water and swimming like a mermaid.
美人鱼泳是穿上尾鳍, 穿上漂亮的鱼尾下水,像美人鱼一样游泳。
OK, so I would need to wear a monofin.
好吧,所以我需要穿上尾鳍。
The prefix 'mono' means 'only one or single' .
前缀 'mono' 是指只有一个或单个。
So a single fin, that's like a mermaid's tail.
所以单鳍,就像是美人鱼的尾巴。
Then I just get in the water and swim around like a mermaid.
然后下水像美人鱼一样游来游去。
I'm not so sure about that Neil.
我不确定我会那样做,尼尔。
I don't really know how mermaids swim!
我真不知道美人鱼怎么游泳。
There's more to it than that Rob. It's actually good for your fitness as Emma can explain.
不止这些呢,罗伯。它实际上对你的健康有好处,艾玛可以解释的。
It gives children's confidence in water a boost.
它可以提升孩子们在水中的自信。
It improves their water strength.
增强他们在水中的体力。
It gives you an entire body workout.
让人们全身都得到锻炼。
It works your cardiovascular system, it works your legs, your core.
它对人们的心血管系统,腿还有心脏都有作用。
It improves the children's swimming technique, flexibility, balance, co-ordination.
它能提高孩子们的游泳技术,灵活性,平衡性,协调性。
You get the reward, you get the social aspect.
你会有所回报,在社交方面有所得。
And alongside all of that, they're learning vital life skills along the way.
除此之外,人们也会在这个过程中学会至关重要的生活技能。
So there are many benefits to mermaiding, Rob.
所以美人鱼泳有很多好处,罗伯。
Improving confidence, strength, technique.
提升自信,体力和技术。
And it's good for your cardiovascular system.
并且它对人们的心血管系统有好处。
Cardiovascular relates to your heart and blood vessels.
心血管涉及心脏和血管两方面。
Well, I like the sound of the social aspect.
我喜欢社交。
And by that Emma means being with other people and having fun.
Emma那样说是指和别人在一起并玩得愉快。
It's an activity that's sociable.
它是一种社交活动。
And it teaches life skills, useful skills that help you deal with everyday challenges.
并且它教给人们能解决日常困难的生活技能和实用技能。
Well, that's great for kids and that's the problem.
好吧,那对小孩来说很棒但同时也是问题所在。
What's that?
什么问题?
Mermaiding is for kids.
美人鱼是为孩子准备的。
So I can't get involved even if I wanted to.
所以即使我想要学也没有办法参与其中。
Can I?
我可以吗?
You can, Rob.
你可以的,罗伯。
According to Emma, it's growing in popularity with adults too.
据Emma说年轻人数量也在增加。
Any excuse to live out your fantasies hey!
你有任何理由实现自己的美梦。
There are so many adults that actually kind of want to live out their childhood dreams that they wanted to be a mermaid when they were children.
许多年轻人真的想要实现自己儿时的梦想。当他们还是孩子的时候,他们想要成为一条美人鱼。
And they didn't get the opportunity.
但是当时没有机会。
And now it's here and now it's available.
现在机会就在这里,现在就有机会。
So yes, we do a lot of adult classes as well.
所以是的,我们也开展了许多年轻人的课程。
There you go, Rob.
这下你懂了吧,罗伯。
Living out your childhood dreams that doing things you wanted to do when you were a child.
实现你儿时的梦想就是做你小时候想要做的事。
Like being a mermaid!
就像成为一条美人鱼。
Sorry Neil, that wasn't a dream for me, although I did dream of swimming like a shark once!
抱歉尼尔,那不是我儿时的梦想,尽管我曾经确实想要像鲨鱼一样游泳。
Anyway, mermaiding is a good form of aerobic exercise.
总之,美人鱼泳是有氧运动一种好方式。
But earlier I asked you what an example of anaerobic exercise is.
早些时候我问你什么是无氧运动的例子。
Is it… a) weightlifting b) kickboxing or c) dancing?
是a)举重 b)跆拳道 还是c)跳舞?
I said weightlifting.
我说是举重。
Was I right?
我答对了吗?
You were Neil, well done.
你是对的,罗伯。做得不错。
Any exercise that consists of short exertion, high-intensity movement is an anaerobic exercise,
任何时间短,强度大的运动都是无氧运动,
such as weight lifting, sprinting and jumping.
像举重,短跑和跳高。
I won't go into scientific detail.
我不会深入谈科学性细节。
But aerobics exercise is done over a longer period of time and strengthens the heart and lungs, thereby improving the body's utilisation of oxygen.
但是人们做有氧运动有较长一段时间了,用来增强心肺功能,进而提高机体对氧气的利用。
Thanks for that Rob.
谢谢你提到的那些,罗伯。
Now I think we should sprint through our recap of some of the words we've talked about today, starting with 'aerobic', which you just explained.
我认为现在我们应该快速浏览一下今天谈到的单词,从你刚刚解释过的 'aerobic'开始。
"Mermaiding is a good aerobic workout."
美人鱼泳是一种不错的有氧锻炼。
Assuming you don't mind dressing up of course!
当然假设你不介意装扮一番的话。
Next we had 'aquatic', which refers to something connected with water.
接下来是'aquatic',指的是和水相关的某些事物。
Synchronised swimming is an example of an aquatic sport."
花样游泳是一种水上运动。
Ah, you slipped in another of our words there – 'synchronised', which means 'moving together at the same time or speed as someone or something else'.
啊,你跳到了我们下一个单词-同步的,指的是和其他人一起同时或者同速移动。
"We synchronised our watches so that we all arrived at the same time."
我们把各自的手表同步以便大家同时到达。
Good idea, you're always late, Neil.
好主意,你总是迟到,尼尔。
Then we mentioned 'mono', which means 'one' or 'single'
然后我们提到了 'mono',指的是一个或者单个,
and is used as a prefix on words,such as 'monochrome' – one colour, or 'monorail' – a train running on a single track.
用作一些单词的前缀,例如monochrome-单色,或者monorail-单轨列车。
Then we heard the word 'cardiovascular', a word that relates to the effect on your heart and lungs.
接下来我们听到的是cardiovascular,一个与心肺相关的单词。
"Experts say those who quit smoking could also quickly reduce their risk of cardiovascular disease."
专家称那些戒烟的人同样可以快速降低患心血管疾病的风险。
Finally, we also mentioned 'social', this adjective relates to activities that you do with other people and are usually fun.
最后我们同样提到了social,这个形容词指的是你和别人一起的活动,通常很好玩。
"Now I live in London, I have a great social life."
现在我住在伦敦,我的社交生活很棒。
Well, you never invite me out, Rob!
好吧,你从来没邀请过我,罗伯!
Sorry.
抱歉。
Anyway, that's it for this edition of 6 Minute English.
不管怎么说,以上就是我们这期的六分钟英语。
Before you rush off to fulfil your dream of being a mermaid,
在你跑去实现自己的愿望,成为一条美人鱼之前,
don't forget to visit our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube pages, and of course our website!
不要忘记访问我们Facebook,Twitter,Instagram和YouTube主页,当然还有我们的网站。
Yes, and that's at bbclearningenglish.com.
是的,网站地址是bbclearningenglish.com。
Bye for now.
现在再见。
Goodbye.
再见。