你使用哪种支付方式?
How would you like to pay?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Alice...
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语,我是爱丽丝。
… and I'm Neil. Alice, have you got two pounds?
我是尼尔。爱丽丝,你有两英镑吗?
I forgot my wallet and I need a coffee.
我忘带钱包了,但我需要买一杯咖啡。
I've only got these pennies.
我只有这几便士。
Sorry – I always use my bankcard in the cafeteria.
不好意思,我在自助餐厅都用银行卡。
You use a card to buy coffee?
你用银行卡买咖啡?
Yes. It's a tap-and-go card so it's quick – you don't enter a PIN number
是的。用的是感应式支付银行卡,所以非常快捷,你不需要输入密码。
– and everyone in the coffee queue uses them… except you.
咖啡馆排队买咖啡的人都用这种卡,除了你。
And today's show is about how we pay for things.
今天的节目我们讨论支付方式。
Well, I pay for things with money!
我用现金支付!
There are different kinds of money.
现在钱有很多不同的类型。
You're behind the curve, digging around in your pockets for change, Neil.
你太落后了,还在口袋里到处找零钱。
Do you still use cheques too?
你现在还用支票吗?
Yes, I do. Cheques are very useful.
是的,支票很实用。
Now, being behind the curve means not keeping up with current trends.
落后是指赶不上潮流。
So help me keep up, Alice.
所以帮我赶赶潮流,爱丽丝。
What's a tap-and-go card?
什么是感应式支付卡?
I thought you were talking about your regular bankcard.
我以为你说的是常见的银行卡。
Well, tap-and-go cards are regular bankcards but with a built-in chip and antenna.
感应式支付卡也是常见的银行卡,但内部有植入的芯片和天线。
The card reader sends out a radio frequency
读卡器会发射一种无线电频率,
and when you bring the card close to the reader, the antenna picks up the signal to make the payment.
当你的卡靠近读卡器时,卡内的天线接收这个信号并完成支付。
Hmm. This antenna business doesn't sound secure
这个天线听上去不太安全。
– an antenna is used for sending or receiving radio signals.
天线常常用来发射或接收无线电信号。
Doesn't it mean your personal data is flying around in the ether for anyone to steal?
这是不是意味着我们的个人信息在我们周围这个以太构成的环境中飞来飞去,从而被他人窃取?
In this context, ether means the air where electronic communication happens.
在这里,以太是指电子通讯发生的空间。
And nothing's flying around, Peter Pan!
没有东西在飞来飞去,彼得潘!
At less than half a second per transaction, there's no time for anyone to steal your cash!
每笔交易不到半秒就完成了,其他人没有时间来偷你的钱!
Now, why don't you answer today's quiz question?
现在回答今天的问题吧?
Which man's face appears on a UK ten pound note? Is it…
英国十英镑纸币上是谁的头像?
a) Charles Darwin
a) 查尔斯达尔文?
b) Isaac Newton
b) 艾萨克牛顿?
or c) Albert Einstein
还是c) 阿尔伯特爱因斯坦?
None of them – it's the Queen.
都不是,是女王的头像。
No, Neil. The Queen is on one side, but on the other side of each note is an important historical figure.
不,尼尔。一面是女王的头像,另一面是一个著名历史人物的头像。
Oh really? I've never noticed…
真的吗?我没注意。
OK, I'll go for b) Isaac Newton.
好吧,那我选b) 艾萨克牛顿。
He's a historical figure.
他是有名的历史人物。
So are Darwin and Einstein.
达尔文和爱因斯坦也是啊。
And coins and banknotes will be historical soon.
硬币和纸币很快也会成为历史。
But we'll find out if you're right later on.
之后我们再看你回答得是否正确。
I'm still concerned about tap-and-go.
我仍然对感应式支付很感兴趣。
What if someone steals my card?
万一有人把我的卡偷走了呢?
Each contactless payment is limited to a certain amount – the UK's limit is ?30.
每种非接触支付卡都有一定的支付限额,英国的支付额度是30英镑。
After you've used your card a few times in a row, you have to enter your PIN.
如果你连续使用此卡支付之后,你就需要输入密码。
And if a thief does go on a spending spree with your card, your bank covers you against fraud.
如果小偷真的用你的卡疯狂购物,银行为你的卡上防诈骗险。
Whereas, if someone steals your banknotes, that's your bad luck!
然而,如果有人偷走了你的纸币,你只能怪自己运气不好了!
OK, good points. Fraud means getting money by cheating people.
这确实不错。诈骗是指通过欺骗他人获取金钱。
And a spending spree is a short period of time where you do a lot of shopping.
疯狂购物是指在短时间内大肆购买。
Are you a big spender, Alice?
你是挥金如土的人吗,爱丽丝?
Not with my tap-and-go, Neil.
没有用感应卡挥霍过。
How about you and your chequebook?
你呢?用你的支票挥霍过吗?
No comment.
无可奉告。
Moving on.
那我们继续说。
If getting your bankcard out seems like too much trouble there's now a solution with wearable tech
如果你觉得掏出银行卡太麻烦,有一种解决办法,那就是可穿戴技术,
– that's clothing and accessories that include computer and electronic technologies.
将计算机和电子科技应用于衣物或配件上。
Let's hear what Kenneth Cukier, a technology expert, has to say.
我们来听听技术专家Kenneth Cukier怎么说。
You can simply take any wireless card and the chip from it that your bank might issue you with,
你可以携带无线卡以及银行发给你的芯片,
and you can put it into the coat and then when you want to make a payment
将其放入衣服内,当你想要付款时,
you just simply wave your arm in front of the terminal and leave with your latte.
在终端设备上挥一下手臂,就可以带走你的咖啡了。
This is intended for people who are incredibly lazy
这是为懒人量身设计的,
who don't want to take their card out of their wallet, or use their phone, or use their watch.
为那些不想从包里拿出卡,或者不想使用手机或手表支付的懒人设计的。
People are going to be making more purchases more of the time – particularly for small-valued goods.
之后大部分时间人们购物的频率会增加,尤其是购买低价值商品。
What Kenneth Cukier said is very interesting.
Kenneth Cukier提到的非常有趣。
That sounds tempting but I'm still concerned about how safe this all is.
这听上去很吸引人,但我还是关心这安不安全。
What if I wave my arm around and make a payment by mistake?
如果我挥一下手就不小心支付了怎么办?
The chip has to get very close to the card reader to make a payment so that's not likely to happen.
芯片需要非常靠近读卡器才能完成支付,所以你说的这种情况不太可能发生。
Now companies are creating new biometric technology – which you might like Neil
现在一些公司在研发新的生物识别技术,你也许会喜欢的,
– because it combines payment and security technology.
因为这是一项囊括支付与安全性能的技术。
Let's hear more from the BBC reporter Kate Russell.
让我们听BBC记者Kate Russell的介绍。
For those times when not even carrying a phone is convenient – at the beach or a festival for example
一些时候我们携带手机也不方便,例如在沙滩上或庆祝节日时,
– the fingo-pay system reads the unique maps of veins under the surface of your finger.
指静脉识别系统通过识别手指表面独一无二的静脉图来完成支付。
The trick is remembering which finger you registered with.
你只要记住用哪根手指注册的就好。
This high-tech stuff reporter Kate Russell is talking about is amazing!
Kate Russell所说的高科技真是太奇妙了。
Some day soon we won't have to carry a wallet or a purse or anything.
也许不久以后我们就不用带钱包了。
The veins in our finger will authenticate payments – and prove the payments are ours.
我们手指的静脉会进行支付鉴定,证明这些付款是我们的。
I can't wait!
我都等不及了!
Hmm. Sounds a bit too sci-fi for my liking.
对我来说这听上去太科幻了。
How about giving us the answer to today's quiz question?
不如公布今天问题的答案吧?
Alright then. I asked: Which man's face appears on a UK ten pound note?
好的。我问你:英国十英镑纸币上是谁的头像?
Is it… a) Charles Darwin b) Isaac Newton or c) Albert Einstein
a) 查尔斯达尔文b) 艾萨克牛顿 还是c) 阿尔伯特爱因斯坦?
And I said b) Isaac Newton.
我选的是b) 艾萨克牛顿。
Yes. And you were wrong, Neil!
好吧,你答错了,尼尔!
It was that other famous person, a) Charles Darwin.
正确答案是另一个名人,a) 查尔斯达尔文。
Isaac Newton was on the old one pound note which is no longer used.
旧版一英镑纸币上是牛顿的头像,但是现在已经不使用了。
And Einstein was German, not British, so he wouldn't appear on a UK banknote anyway.
爱因斯坦是德国人,不是英国人,所以压根不会出现在英国纸币上。
Well they look similar, I think.
我觉得他们长得都差不多。
Can you tell us today's words once again, Alice?
你能再带我们回忆一下今天的单词吗?
Yes, of course I can. They are:
当然可以。今天听到的单词有:
behind the curve
落后
tap-and-go
感应式
antenna
天线
ether
以太
fraud
诈骗
spending spree
疯狂购物
wearable tech
可穿戴技术
authenticate
鉴定
Well, that's the end of this edition of 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
Get ahead of the curve, and join us again soon.
紧跟潮流,下期再会!
Meanwhile, visit our website: bbclearningenglish.com,
同时,你也可以登陆我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com,
where you'll find guides to grammar, exercises, videos and articles to read and improve your English.
在这里查找更多语法讲解、练习、音频和文章,帮助你提高英语水平。
Bye.
再见。