你是赢家吗?
Are you a winner?
Hello I’m Rob.
大家好,我是Rob。
Welcome to 6 Minute English. I’m joined today by Neil. Hello Neil.
欢迎来到6分钟英语。今天和我一起的是Neil。你好Neil。
Hello Rob.
你好Rob。
Now Neil, I have a question for you – do you think you are a winner?
现在Neil,我有个问题问你--你自认为是位成功者吗?
You mean someone who has a lot of success in everything?
你的意思是说在任何事上都做的很成功的人吗?
Well, not exactly – I'm just talking about competitions –
呃,不是,我只是讨论比赛--
do you have a lot of success or luck in winning them?
赢他们你成功的时候多吗或者说运气?
Competitions? No, not at all.
比赛吗?一点都不多。
I don't think I've ever won a competition.
我想我从没赢过什么比赛。
Ah, bad luck. That means you're not a 'comper'.
啊,好倒霉啊。那也就是说你不是一个“比赛者。”
That's an informal name for someone who takes part in – or enters – competitions on an almost semiprofessional basis.
这是对参加类似半职业性比赛的人们一种非正式的称呼。
They spend a lot of time trying to win something
这些人为了赢花费了很多时间。
You mean winning prizes – or free gifts.
你的意思是赢得奖励--或免费礼物。
I do. And Neil, you could win a prize if you can correctly answer today's question.
是的。Neil,如果你能准确回答出今天的问题你就有奖励。
So, are you ready?
所以,你准备好了吗?
I'm ready.
准备好了。
Well, a lottery is one kind of competition where the prize is money.
彩票是一种竞争,奖励是票子。
The biggest cash prizes can be won in the USA –
在美国可以赢得最多的现金奖励--
but do you know what the biggest ever cash prize to be paid in America is? Is it:
但是你知道在美国现今最大的现金奖励是多少吗?是:
a) $590 million
a)5.9亿美元
b) $890 million
b)8.9亿美元
c) $1 billion
c)10亿美元
Well, things tend to be big in America, so I'm going to go for c) $1 billion dollars.
美国投的注一般都比较大,所以我选择c)10亿美金。
I'd like to win that. We’ll find out if you are right or wrong later on.
我想赢。一会我们将看一下你回答的是否正确。
So let’s talk more about 'compers' – people who regularly take part in competitions.
现在我们继续讨论“比赛者”---经常参加比赛的人们。
We could say they are hooked on – meaning addicted to – taking part.
我们可以说他们是迷上了--或者说沉溺于参与。
Yes, the lure – or attractiveness – of winning big prizes means these people just can't stop answering quiz questions, writing slogans and captions or solving puzzles.
是的,诱惑 — — 或赢得大奖品的吸引力 — — 意味着这些人一直不停地回答测验问题、书写标语和题注或解决谜题。
Some people go to great lengths – or put a lot of effort into winning something –
有些人付出了巨大的努力或付出了大量的努力来赢得比赛获得奖励--
even if it's just a box of chocolates or a coffee mug.
即便仅仅只是一盒巧克力或一个咖啡杯。
It's just the excitement of winning.
仅仅是为了胜利的兴奋。
But sometimes there are big prizes to win – a new car, a speedboat or a holiday of a lifetime.
但有时会有大奖--一台崭新的小汽车、一艘快艇或者人生中的某次假期。
The only problem is that these prizes are either not easy to win or there are millions of people trying to win them.
唯一的问题就是这些奖励要么就是不容易赢得,要么就是成千上万的人想要。
I've certainly never won anything as fantastic as that – but one man who has had plenty of good luck is Martin Dove, who is a retired lecturer and an expert 'comper'.
我从没赢得过像上面的任何东西--但有个叫Martin Dove的人很幸运,他是一位退休讲师,是“比赛者”中的专家。
He certainly is. He's won a yacht, a racehorse and lots of smaller prizes too.
的确如此。他曾赢过一艘快艇、一匹赛马还有很多小的奖励。
Let's hear from him now. Listen out for the names he says people have called him…
现在我们听听他说的。仔细听一下,人们曾经叫过的他的名字都有哪些...
I've been a comper for 40 years.
作为“比赛者”我已经做了40年了。
It's like admitting some addiction isn't it really!
就像是有瘾,不是吗,真的!
Some people have called me the Master of Comping, the King of Comping, the Guru of Comping, but it's just a word, it's just a phrase, it's just I was fairly high-profile.
有些人叫我Master of Comping,King of Comping, Guru of Comping,但这仅仅是一个词,一个短语,这只是因为我相当引人注目。
So, he says he was fairly high-profile – that means he was often seen in public, mentioned in newspapers, or appeared on television.
他说他相当引人注目--也就是说他经常出现在公众面前--以报纸或电视的形式出现。
And because he was high-profile he got called a few nicknames…
而且因为他引人注目他获得了几个新的外号...
…names like the master of comping – so someone who is very good or skilled at it.
像the master of comping--意思是一个人非常擅长什么。
And the king of comping – not an actual royal king but someone is the best at doing something.
the king of comping -虽然并不是真正的皇家国王,但指某人做某事做的最好。
And the guru of comping – that's someone who other people respect and go to for advice about comping.
还有the guru of comping--是一个人很受他人尊敬,并向他寻求比赛的意见。
Well, he knows his stuff and he still checks out competitions on cereal boxes and crisp packets for the next big win.
他知道他的东西,他为了下一个重大胜利仍然检查比赛的麦片盒和脆包。
He's even written books on the subject and offered advice to other compers.
他还甚至就此写过书,给其他的参加者提供建议。
But comping has changed, Rob.
但比赛形式已经发生改变了,Rob。
There are lots of competitions to enter on the internet now.
现在在网络上有很多的比赛可以参加。
Every webpage you look at seems to tempt us with a fantastic prize to be won.
你浏览的每一个网页似乎都在诱惑我们赢取梦幻般的大奖。
That's true. But Martin Dove doesn't think that is necessarily a good thing.
是的,但是Martin Dove认为这并不是一件好事。
Can you hear why?
你想听听为什么吗?
The thing is now competitions are far easier to enter than they ever were.
现在参加比赛比起以前是相当容易了。
In the old days I could spend a fortnight crafting a slogan and really working hard and really being proud of it.
过去我可以花两周制定一个口号,非常努力的工作,并为之非常自豪。
Now all you have do is 'click, click, click, click, click' and because it only takes 30 seconds to do, 20 minutes you can knock out 40 competitions.
现在你所需要做的就是“单击、单击、单击、单击、再单击”每30s你就可以参加一次,20分钟你就可以参加大约40场比赛了。
And you can get a million entries now, so it's a million to one.
现在你参加的是一百万人参加,所以几率是一百万比一。
So, competitions online are easier to enter – you just have to click.
所以在线的比赛更容易参加--你只需单击即可。
Martin said he could enter about 40 competitions in just 20 minutes!
Martin说他可以在20分钟内参加大约40场比赛!
But because it's so easy, more people enter and so the odds – or chances of winning are less.
但因为这很简单,更多的人参加,所以赢得的几率更小了。
Sometimes, a one in a million chance of winning – a very rare or unlikely chance.
有时是百万分之一的概率--几率非常非常小。
I wonder what your chances are of getting today's question right Neil?
Neil,我想知道你回答今天问题正确的概率是多少?
One in three maybe?
或许是三分之一?
Maybe! Well, earlier I asked you what is the biggest ever cash prize to be paid out in a lottery in the USA? Is it:
或许吧!之前我问你美国目前彩票最大奖是多少?是:
a) $590 million
a)5.9亿美金
b) $890 million
b)8.9亿美金
c) $1 billion
c)10亿美金
I said it was c) $1 billion.
我选的是C)10亿美金。
And you are wrong.
你回答错了。
It's actually only $590 million; that was won by an 84-year-old woman in Florida last year.
实际上只有5.9亿美金;是去年佛罗里达州一位84岁的老太太获得的。
Neil, what's the biggest prize you've ever won?
Neil,你曾经赢过的最大奖是什么?
I think I once, about 10 years ago, won ?10 on the British National Lottery.
大概十年前我曾经赢得英国国家彩票10英镑。
Wow, that's a big win!
wow,那是一个大奖!
Well, for getting today's question wrong you get the consolation prize of reminding us of some of the words that we've heard today.
因为你回答错了问题,所以你获得鼓励奖--带着大家回顾下今天听到的单词。
OK, we heard:
好的,我们听到的有:
Luck;comper;prizes; Lottery;
:Luck--运气;comper比赛者;prizes--奖励; Lottery彩票;
hooked on;the lure;slogans;high-profile
hooked on--着迷;the lure--诱惑;slogans--口号;high-profile--非常引人注目
master;guru;the odds;one in a million
master--(这里指)一个人非常擅长某事;guru--受人尊敬,人们向其咨询事情(赢得比赛);the odds--几率;one in a million--百万分之一
OK. Thanks Neil – you really are a winner.
好的。谢谢Neil--你是真正的赢家。
Well, we hope you’ve enjoyed today’s programme.
希望大家喜欢今天的节目。
Please join us again soon for 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English.
请再次加入我们的BBC6分钟英语。
Bye!
拜!