遗愿清单总是好的吗?
Are bucket lists always a good thing?
Hello. This is 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English. I’m Neil.
大家好。这里是BBC教学英语的《六分钟英语》。我是尼尔。
And I'm Sam.
我是萨姆。
Have you always wanted to learn to dance the tango, do a magic trick, or skydive?
你是否一直想学跳探戈、变魔术或跳伞?
If so, perhaps you need a bucket list – a list of all the things you want to do before you die.
如果是那样的话,也许你需要一份遗愿清单——你死之前想要做的所有事情的清单。
That's the topic of our programme.
那就是我们本期节目的主题。
Bucket lists have been called 'the greatest hits of your life'
遗愿清单被称为“生命中最伟大的成就”,
and have helped some people overcome anxiety and fear of following their dreams.
它帮助一些人克服了追梦路上的焦虑和恐惧。
But they've also been accused of limiting the imagination by encouraging people to follow someone else's idea of the perfect life.
但遗愿清单也被指责通过鼓励人们追求他人对完美生活的想法来限制想象力。
So, what would be on your bucket list, Neil?
那么,你的遗愿清单是什么呢,尼尔?
Are you a skydiving kind of person?
你的遗愿清单是要跳伞吗?
Not really! Bungee-jumping maybe - as long as someone checked the elastic rope! How about you?
并不是!可能会蹦极——只要有人检查过蹦极弹力绳!你呢?
One thing I've always wanted to do is swim with dolphins.
我一直想做的一件事就是和海豚一起游泳。
Well, you're not alone there, Sam,
嗯,不是你一个人如此,萨姆,
because swimming with dolphins is one of the most commonly included personal goals on bucket lists.
因为和海豚一起游泳是遗愿清单上最常见的个人目标之一。
But which of the following things do you think tops the list?
但是你认为以下哪个居于首位?
That's my quiz question for today.
那就是我今天的测试问题。
Is it: a) swimming with dolphins, b) getting a tattoo, or c) seeing the northern lights?
是a)和海豚一起游泳,b)纹身,还是c)看北极光?
I’ll go for a) swimming with dolphins – one, because it’s something I really want to do,
我会选a)和海豚一起游泳——第一是因为它是我真的想做的事情;
and two, because I’ve heard so many stories about how it improves your mental health.
第二是因为我听说过很多关于它如何改善人们心理健康的故事。
Well, that was certainly true in the case of blogger Annette White.
好吧,对博主安妮特·怀特来说确实如此。
She listed hundreds of things she wanted to accomplish
她列出了数百件她想要完成的事情
- from learning Spanish to hanging out with penguins in Antarctica
——从学习西班牙语到在南极洲和企鹅一起玩
- as a way of improving her psychological wellbeing.
——作为改善她心理健康的一种方式。
Here she is talking to Claudia Hammond for BBC Radio 4s programme All in the Mind:
以下是她在BBC广播4频道All in the Mind节目中和克劳迪娅·哈蒙德的对话:
You said that you started all this to try to help you overcome your anxiety – has it done that?
你说你开始所有这一切是为了帮助自己克服焦虑——真的做到了吗?
It definitely has and I feel that the reason is
肯定啊,而且我觉得那是因为
because that promise to live my bucket list really continuously pushes the comfort zone to its limits and beyond it.
遗愿清单的实现不断将舒适区推到极限,甚至超越极限。
So every time I can have a chance to step out of my comfort zone,
所以每次我有机会走出舒适区,
a little piece of that fear of the unknown is removed and replaced with a little piece of empowerment,
我对未知事物的一些恐惧就会消除,取而代之的是对生活的掌控能力,
and by continuously doing that, the size of my fear bubble has gotten smaller.
通过不断这样做,我的恐惧就减少了。
Annette feels that choosing adventurous goals for her bucket list helps her step outside her comfort zone
安妮特觉得为自己的遗愿清单选择冒险目标有助于她走出自己的舒适区
– the situations where she feels safe and comfortable but where her ability and determination are not really being tested.
——她感到安全和舒适的地方,但在舒适区她的能力和决心并没有真的得到考验。
Moving out of her comfort zone has helped Annette replace her feelings of fear with feelings of empowerment
走出舒适区帮助安妮特将恐惧替换为赋权
– the process of becoming stronger and more confident, especially in controlling her life.
——变得更强大、更自信的过程,尤其是在掌控自己的生活方面。
Well, that all sounds pretty good to me.
嗯,对我来说,那些听起来都很不错。
But not everyone is convinced that bucket lists can really help people like Annette in the long run.
但并不是每个人都相信遗愿清单能真的从长远上帮助像安妮特这样的人。
Here’s clinical psychologist Linda Blair to explain why:
临床心理学家琳达·布莱尔解释了原因:
I’m not really in favour of bucket lists. There are a couple of reasons.
我真的不赞同遗愿清单。那有几个原因。
Most of all, you’re kind of fooling yourself with a bucket list.
最重要的是,你是在用遗愿清单自欺欺人。
We fear death, more than I think we fear anything else in our existence,
我们害怕死亡,我觉得比害怕我们生活中其它任何事物还要害怕,
because we can’t predict it, and because we don’t know what it’s like because nobody comes back and tells us.
因为我们无法预测死亡,因为我们不知道死亡是什么样子,因为没有人会在死后回来告诉我们。
And when you create a bucket list – something to do before you 'kick the bucket,
当你列了一个遗愿清单——你死之前要做的事情,
the idea that you're giving yourself is that you can somehow control when and what death is going to be all about.
你向自己传达的想法就是你可以掌控死亡的时间和形式。
We only make sense of our lives at the end of it.
我们在生命的尽头才理解生命的意义。
A bucket list takes you away from the chance to be spontaneous,
遗愿清单会让你失去自发做事的机会,
and I think it’s so delicious to be able to say, 'that’s an opportunity? – oh, I’ll do that!'
而且我觉得能说“那是一个机会吗?”——啊,我要去做!”非常棒。
Linda thinks some people use bucket lists as a coping strategy to try to control something uncontrollable – death.
琳达认为,有些人把遗愿清单用作一种应对策略来试图掌控一些无法控制的事情——死亡。
In this way they are fooling - or deceiving - themselves
这样,他们就是在愚弄或者欺骗自己
- trying to make themselves believe something they know is not really true.
——试图让自己相信一些他们知道不是真的的事情。
And by having a checklist of adventures to tick off before they die,
在死前有一份冒险清单要完成,
people might lose the chance to be spontaneous – to act in a natural and impulsive way without planning.
人们可能会失去自发做事的机会——在没有计划的情况下,以一种自然、冲动的方式做事。
Linda also uses an unusual expression which gave 'bucket list' its name in the first place.
琳达还使用了一个不寻常的表达方式,先给出了“遗愿清单”这个表达。
A bucket list is all the things you want to do before you 'kick the bucket' – an informal way of saying, 'die'.
遗愿清单是你死之前想做的所有事情——“kick the bucket”是“死”的非正式说法。
'Kick the bucket' is an old English expression that was even used by Shakespeare.
“Kick the bucket”是一个古老的英语表达,它甚至被莎士比亚使用过。
It refers to kicking the bucket away from under the feet of a hanging man, leaving him to drop to his death.
它指的是把要绞死的人脚下的桶踢开,让他吊死。
Well, anyway, I hope I don't kick the bucket before I've had a chance to tell you the correct answer to today's quiz.
好吧,不管怎样,我希望在我有机会告诉你今天测验问题的正确答案之前,我不会死。
Remember, I asked you which personal goal was most often included in bucket lists?
还记得我问过你哪一个个人目标最常被列入遗愿清单吗?
I said, a) swimming with dolphins.
我说是a)和海豚一起游泳。
But the actual answer was c) seeing the northern lights.
但实际答案是c)看北极光。
Well, maybe we could combine the two in a single trip…
好吧,也许我们可以在一次旅行中把两个都做了……
And then get a tattoo!
然后去纹身!
That would be spontaneous!
那会是自发去做的!
Today, we’ve been discussing bucket lists – lists of all the things you want to do before you 'kick the bucket'
今天,我们一直在讨论遗愿清单——你“死”之前想做的所有事情的清单
– an informal way of saying 'die'.
——“kick the bucket”是“死”的一种非正式说法。
Bucket lists can be a great way to feel empowered – stronger and more in control of your life,
遗愿清单是使你感觉拥有权利的一种好方式——让你感觉更强大,更能掌控自己的生活,
because they take you out of your comfort zone – comfortable situations which are safe but not challenging.
因为它们让你走出舒适区——安全但没有挑战性的舒适环境。
But others think you’re fooling – or deceiving yourself – if you think bucket lists can really help you control your life.
但是,如果你认为遗愿清单真的可以帮助你掌控自己的生活,别人就会认为你在愚弄或欺骗自己。
In fact, they might even make you less spontaneous – less able to act in natural, sudden and impulsive ways.
事实上,它们甚至可能使你变得没那么自发——不那么能以自然、突然和冲动的方式行事。
That's all from us for now.
以上就是我们今天的全部内容了。
Why not go and make some plans for all the things you'd like to achieve in your life?
为什么不为你生命中想做的所有事情去制定一些计划呢?
And start having adventures before we see you next time here at 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English.
并在我们下次见到你收听BBC教学英语的《六分钟英语》之前开始你的冒险之旅。
Bye.
拜。
Byebye.
再见。