船长的规矩
Captain's etiquette
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English.
大家好,欢迎来到BBC学习英语的六分钟英语节目。
I'm Rob and joining me today is Jen.
我是罗伯,今天加入我的是珍。
Hi.
你好。
Hi Jen, Now I'm sure like everyone else, you heard the news recently about the cruise ship, the Costa Concordia, which hit some rocks and capsized – or overturned.
你好,珍。现在我肯定你和其他人一样听过关于科斯塔康科迪亚号游艇的最新报道,它触及一些礁石而倾覆翻倒。
Yes I did hear.
是的,我确实听到了。
It really was a dreadful story, terrible news for everyone involved.
它真是一个可怕的故事,对任何人来说都是很可怕。
It was a terrible disaster.
它是个可怕的灾难。
People have been discussing and speculating how it happened and particularly about the actions of the captain.
人们已经讨论和猜测它是如何发生的了,尤其是对船长的行为。
In today's programme we're talking about what is and what isn't acceptable behaviour for the captain of a ship during a disaster at sea.
在今天的节目中我们将要讨论在海难中船长的什么行为是可以接受的,什么不可以。
In other words, the captain's etiquette.
换句话说,就是船长的规矩。
But Rob, shouldn't we start with a question?
但是罗伯,我们不应该以一个问题开始吗?
Of course, I hadn't forgotten.
当然了,我刚才忘了。
As we're talking about ships, I wonder if you know how heavy the world's biggest cruise ship, Oasis of the Seas, weighs?
当我们谈论到船,我想知道你是否知道世界上最大的游轮有多沉,海洋绿洲号有多重?
Is it: a) 2,500 tonnes
它是:a)2500吨
b) 25,000 tonnes
b)25000吨
c) 250,000 tonnes
c)250000吨
I can honestly say, I've got no idea about how much a cruise ship would weigh but I guess if it's the world's biggest, I'll go for the biggest number, 250,000 tonnes.
我能够诚实地说,我真的不知道一艘游轮有多重,但是我猜如果是世界上最大的游轮,我将选择最大的数字,250000吨。
Well I'll reveal the answer at the end of the programme.
好的,我将在节目的最后揭露答案。
So today, we're talking about the role of the captain on a ship.
那么今天,我们将要讨论船长在一艘船上扮演的角色。
In the recent disaster involving the Costa Concordia, it was alleged the captain abandoned ship before all his passengers had escaped.
在最近的科斯塔康科迪亚号海难中,据说船长在所有乘客逃出游艇之前弃船逃跑。
Whether this is true or not, what should the captain do in such a situation?
无论这是否是真的,船长在这样的情况下应该做些什么呢?
Well when the famous ship, Titanic, sank in 1912 the captain was the last on board.
在最著名的游艇泰坦尼克号在1912年沉没的时候,船长是甲板上的最后一人。
Very heroic.
非常英勇。
Let's hear from another heroic man, Lord West of Spithead.
让我们来听听另一个英雄,斯皮特黑德游艇的安全部长韦斯特勋爵。
He used to be the professional head of the British Royal Navy – what is called 'The First Sea Lord'.
他曾经是英国皇家海军的专业将领,被称作“第一海务大臣”。
He was captain of HMS Ardent in the Falklands War and was the last man on board when it sank.
在马岛战争中他是皇家海军舰艇的船长,是船沉时甲板上的最后一个人。
So he understands why abandoning ship is never an option for a captain, even during a disaster.
所以他明白为何一个船长从不舍弃他的船,甚至是在海难之中。
Here he is speaking to the BBC's James Naughtie about the history of this captain's etiquette.
这里是他向BBC的詹姆斯·诺蒂讲述这位船长的礼节的历史。
What does he say is 'expected' of a captain?
他说对一个船长的期望是什么?
Well I think it's a very important custom and a rule.
好吧,我认为习惯和规则是很重要的。
It goes, if you think, back to the Titantic, the Lucitania.
如果你想象一下,回到泰坦尼克号事件。
You know, the Captain stayed on the bridge until they were washed off as the ship sank.
你知道,那个船长站在船桥上直到他们随着船下沉被海水冲走。
And I think it is expected of a captain to remain on board to look after the safety and security of his people until the last one has gone.
我认为一位船长被寄予一直留在甲板上来照看乘客的安全直到最后一个人的离开的期望。
So in a disaster, he thinks staying at the ships controls – or what is called the bridge – is an important custom and rule.
所以在海难中,他认为留在船上控制室里,或者是称作船桥,是一个至关重要的习惯和规则。
It is the expected behaviour.
这是一个被期望的行为。
Yes, it's what people expect the captain to do.
是的,这就是人们期望船长去做的。
He is responsible for the safety and security of his passengers until the last one has gone.
他对他的乘客的安全负责直到最后一个也走了。
On the Titanic, the captain was finally washed off the bridge as it sank.
在泰坦尼克上,船长随着船下沉被冲下了船桥。
But even if captains are obeying the rules or doing what they think is right, there could be something else that compels them to stay on board.
但即使船长遵守了规则或是做了他们认为对的事,仍有其他的一些东西迫使他们留在甲板上。
This is something the BBC's James Naughtie asked Lord West of Spithead.
这里是BBC采访詹姆斯·诺蒂关于斯皮特黑德游艇的安全部长韦斯特勋爵。
It's more than that, isn't it?
还不只是这样,不是吗?
It's more than a practical question of, you know, being in charge until the rescue is complete.
担负责任直到救援完成不仅仅是一个很现实的问题。
It's something that's in the DNA of a sea-going person.
它是一个航海的人天性中的东西。
It's unthinkable…it just goes utterly against the grain to be anything but the last man off.
这真不可思议,这完全违背了任何事物,除非最后一个人离开。
That is absolutely right.
这完全正确。
It is a core aspect of duty.
它是职责的核心。
So that's James Naughtie, suggesting that staying until everyone is off the ship is part of a captain's DNA – it's in their genes.
所以,那就是詹姆斯·诺蒂所建议的留在那里直到最后一个人也离开船是一个船长的本质,这是存在于他们基因里的。
He used a good phrase – 'it goes utterly against the grain'.
他用了个很好的短语“它完全格格不入”。
It goes against the grain to be anything but the last man off.
这完全违背了任何事物除非最后一人也走了。
In other words, you do the opposite of what is usually done.
用另一句话来说,你做了和平常做的相反地事。
Or you're not willing to abandon ship because it contradicts what you believe in.
或许你并不愿意舍弃你的船因为它和你的意愿相违背。
And Lord West of Spithead agrees.
而斯皮特黑德游艇的安全部长韦斯特勋爵就是这样。
He says it's a core aspect of duty – it's the most important part.
他说这是职责的核心所在,这是最重要的一部分。
Basically, the ship is the captain's top priority – even more important than his wife and family!
基本上来说,船是一个船长的最优先的东西,甚至比他的妻子和家庭还要重要!
Yes, incredible – and Lord West of Spithead uses a name to describe what captains call their ships.
是的,难以置信,斯皮特黑德游艇的安全部长韦斯特勋爵用一个名字来描述船长怎样称呼他们的船。
Have a listen to this.
来听这个。
Certainly in the Royal Navy, it's referred to 'Your Grey Mistress'…because…
在皇家海军,它被称为‘你灰色的情妇’,这是因为...
Your Grey Mistress?
你灰色的情妇?
… (because) you spend more time looking after your ship and being with your ship and everything than you ever do with your wife, your family.
(因为)你花费了比其它你曾与你的妻子和家庭所做的任何事情更多的时间来照顾你的船、和你的呆船在一起。
And it is – it's an absolute part of you and there comes a stage where you'll fight like mad to keep your ship safe, to look after it and to secure it.
它完全是你的一部分,你发疯似得努力保证船的安全、照顾它和保卫它。
And then you have to make a decision that it's too late, your ship is going to go.
那时你不得不做一个决定:太迟了,你的船将要沉了。
You then have to look after your people and the people you're responsible for.
然后你不得不照顾你的乘客,那些你要负责的人。
Ha!
哈!
He says in the Royal Navy, the ship is referred to as 'your grey mistress' because the captain spends more time with her than his wife!
他说在皇家海军,船被称作“你灰色的情人”是因为船长和它在一起比和他的妻子呆的时间更长。
And the captain will do everything in his power to save the ship and all the people on board, if it's about to sink.
如果船将要下沉时,船长将做他的最大努力来拯救轮船和甲板上的人们。
But I wonder if this is an old fashioned custom and maybe everyone should try to just save themselves?
但是我想知道如果这是一个老传统,也许每个人应当尝试去救救他们自己。
Hmm, I don't think a captain would ever think about doing that.
嗯,我不认为一个船长从没有想过那样做。
Maybe.
也许。
So have you given any thought to my question?
那么你对我的问题有任何的想法吗?
I asked you if you know how much does the world's biggest cruise ship, Oasis of the Seas, weigh?
我问你,你是否知道世界上最大的船海洋绿洲号有多沉?
Is it: a) 2,500 tonnes
它是:a)2500吨
b) 25,000 tonnes
b)25000吨
c) 250,000 tonnes
c)250000吨
And I said it might be 250,000 tonnes.
我说它有250000吨。
You are right.
你是对的。
The Oasis of the Sea weighs more than 250,000 tonnes.
海洋绿洲号有250000多吨。
It can carry 6,000 people and it has more than 3,000 miles of electrical cabling - that is about the distance from London to New York.
它能够运载6000人,它有超过3000英里的电缆——那是接近从伦敦到纽约的距离。
That's a big ship for a captain to be responsible for.
那是一个船长负责的大船。
OK Jen, we've just time for you to remind us of some of the vocabulary we have heard today:
好的,珍,您帮助回忆下我们今天听到词汇吧。
Yes, we heard:
好的,我们听到:
capsized
翻覆的
speculating
猜测
etiquette
礼仪
abandoned
丢弃
heroic
英勇行为
custom
风俗习惯
compels
强迫
genes
基因
contradicts
反驳
mistress
情人
Thanks a lot Jen.
谢谢你,镇。
And that's all we've got time for in today's programme.
今天我们的节目到此为止。
Please do join us again for more 6 Minute English on our website at bbclearningenglish.com.
请通过我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com加入我们6分钟英语。
We'll see you next time.
我们下次见。
Bye.
拜。
Bye
拜。