你有被网络诈骗的风险吗?
Are you at risk from online fraud?
Hello, I’m Sam and welcome to 6 Minute English.
大家好,我是萨姆,欢迎来到六分钟英语。
This is the programme where in just six minutes we discuss an interesting topic and teach some related English vocabulary.
在这个节目中,我们将用六分钟的时间讨论一个有趣的话题,并教授一些相关的英语词汇。
Joining me to do this is Rob.
和我搭档的是罗伯。
Hello. And today we’re talking about fraud.
大家好。今天我们要讨论的是诈骗。
Fraud is the criminal activity of getting money by deceiving people – or tricking people by doing something dishonest.
诈骗是通过欺骗他人来获取钱财的犯罪行为——或者通过做一些不老实的事情来欺骗他人。
There are many ways to do this – and much of it is happening online these days.
诈骗有很多方法,而且诈骗大多发生在网上。
We’ll talk more about this in a moment.
我们一会儿将详细讨论这个。
But first, a very honest quiz question for you to answer, Rob.
但首先,罗伯,有一个问题,你要诚实回答。
According to UK Finance – an organisation that represents the British banking industry – how much money did criminals steal through fraud and scams last year?
根据英国金融公司——代表英国银行业的组织,罪犯去年通过欺诈和诈骗窃取了多少钱?
Was it… a) £1.2m, b) £120m, or c) £1.2bn?
是a) 120万英镑,b) 1.2亿英镑,还是c) 12亿英镑?
Well, I imagine it’s quite a lot – so I’ll say £120m.
好吧,我想它是相当多的——所以我说是1.2亿英镑。
We'll find out if you're right later in the programme.
我们稍后将在节目中揭晓你是否正确。
Now, I just mentioned the word scam, which is an illegal way of making money by tricking someone.
我刚才提到了“诈骗”这个词,它是通过欺骗他人来赚钱的一种非法方式。
We may think that we’ll never be scammed,
我们可能觉得自己永远不会被诈骗,
but already millions of people have fallen for fake emails, phone calls or letters that look genuine and ask us to give or update our financial details.
但已经有数百万人被看似真实,但却虚假的电子邮件、电话或信件骗了,它们要求我们提供或更新我们的财务细节。
To fall for means to believe something that is a trick or a lie, to be true.
信以为真指的是相信骗局或谎言是真的。
This year, for example, thousands of people in the UK fell for a fraudulent – or fake email, requesting that people update their direct debit details for paying their TV licence.
例如,今年英国成千上万的人对一封欺诈性或虚假的电子邮件信以为真,它要求人们更新支付电视执照费的直接扣款信息。
That's a payment we have to make in the UK to fund the BBC.
那是我们在英国必须为BBC出的钱。
This is something the BBC Radio 4 programme, You and Yours, has been discussing.
这是BBC广播4频道You and Yours节目一直在讨论的问题。
It's BBC Fraud investigator reporter, Shari Vahl, explained why it was easy to be deceived…
BBC欺诈调查员莎莉·瓦尔解释了为什么人们很容易被诈骗……
It's a sleight of hand fraud.
这是诈骗的花招。
The criminals get you to look over there whilst they rifle your pockets and I have the email here and it looks completely convincing.
罪犯让你看向别处,与此同时他们在你口袋里翻找,我这里有一封电子邮件,它看起来很有说服力。
All the right logos, all the right fonts.
都是正确的标识,正确的字体。
It just says that my direct debit on my TV licence has failed and I need to pay it.
它只是说我电视执照费的直接扣款失败了,我需要付款。
It’s very polite.
很客气。
So some great language there.
那里有一些很不错的语言表达。
She said that this scam was a sleight of hand fraud.
她说诈骗是欺诈的花招。
Sleight of hand means the use of clever skill to gain something dishonestly – in this case, money.
“花招”的意思是不老实地用诡计来获得某些东西——在这里指的是钱。
As Shari said, the criminals get you to, metaphorically, look over there whilst they rifle your pockets.
就像莎莉说的,打个比方,罪犯让你看向别处,与此同时他们在你口袋里翻找。
Rifle means search something in order to steal from it – so to steal from your pocket – very dishonest!
“翻找”的意思是为了从偷东西而找寻——所以从你的口袋里偷东西——非常不老实!
Now, like in this case, fraudsters – the people who commit fraud – gained financial information by phishing.
就像这个情况下,诈骗犯——犯诈骗罪的人——通过网络钓鱼获得了财务信息。
That’s not fishing using a rod, line and hook, but by sending an email that looked like it came from your bank, asking for confidential information.
那不是用鱼竿、鱼线和鱼钩钓鱼,而是发送一封看上去像是来自银行的电子邮件,询问保密信息。
But banks do warn us not to give away our financial details online and to change our passwords regularly.
但银行确实警告我们,不要在网上泄露自己的财务信息,要定期更改密码。
But sometimes criminals are very clever in what they do and it’s easy to be fooled.
但有时罪犯在他们所做的事情上非常狡猾,人们很容易被欺骗。
The You and Yours programme also heard about this from social engineer, Jenny Radcliffe.
You and Yours节目也听到了社会工程师珍妮·雷德克里夫对这件事的看法。
What does she call this type of fraud?
她把这种诈骗行为称作什么?
The more sophisticated frauds are ones that have been thought through very carefully.
更复杂的欺诈行为都是经过仔细考量的。
And this has been thought through.
这是经过透彻考虑的。
It’s a fraud that can be layered so you know we're getting some information from you.
这个诈骗可以分层展开,所以,你知道的,我们从你那里获得一些信息。
What you really look for is a window into someone - a key that unlocks just a small part of their identity or their personal data
你真正寻找的是一扇通往某人的窗户——一把仅开启关于他们身份或个人数据一小部分的钥匙,
and from that a good fraud will build and build and build on it until the consequences to some people can be completely devastating.
一场完美的诈骗为将会在此基础上不断积累,直到对某些人造成完全毁灭性的后果。
So Jenny Radcliffe is talking about sophisticated fraud.
所以珍妮·雷德克里夫说的是复杂的诈骗。
That means it’s clever and often complicated – so it can confuse us.
这意味着它很灵活,而且常常很复杂——所以它会让我们感到困惑。
Yes, criminals need just a small piece of information about us – a key – that can eventually open up our identity and expose our personal data.
是的,罪犯只需要我们的一小部分信息——一把钥匙——就能最终暴露我们的身份和个人数据。
And as Jenny says, for the victims of fraud the consequences – the outcome – can be very bad.
而且正如珍妮所说,对于诈骗的受害者来说,后果可能非常糟糕。
Especially if somebody loses all their hard-earned savings – it can be devastating.
特别是如果有人失去了他们所有的血汗钱,这将是毁灭性的。
Of course banks and security companies are working hard to beat the criminals but it still remains a problem.
当然银行和安全公司正在努力打击罪犯,但是这仍是问题。
And earlier I asked you, Rob, according to UK Finance, how much money did criminal steal through fraud and scams last year?
罗伯,早些时候我问你,据英国金融公司称,罪犯去年通过欺诈和诈骗窃取了多少钱?
And I said b) £120m. That’s a lot of money.
我说是b) 1.2亿英镑。那是一大笔钱。
It is but it’s even more.
是一大笔钱,但它甚至更多。
In 2018, criminals successfully stole £1.2 billion through fraud and scams – and that’s just in the UK – globally it’s even more.
2018年,罪犯通过欺诈和诈骗成功窃取了12亿英镑,而那仅仅是发生在英国的,全球范围内的数字甚至更大。
Well, it certainly is a serious issue but hopefully we haven’t deceived you with the vocabulary we’ve discussed today.
嗯,这确实是一个严重的问题,希望在我们今天讨论的词汇上没有欺骗你。
Hopefully not!
希望没有!
We’ve been talking about fraud.
我们一直在讨论诈骗。
That’s the criminal activity of getting money by deceiving people – or tricking people by doing something dishonest.
那是通过欺骗别人来赚钱的犯罪行为,或者通过做一些不老实的事情来欺骗别人。
Next we had scam - which is an illegal or dishonest way of making money by tricking someone.
我们下一个单词是“诈骗”,那是通过欺骗别人来赚钱的一种非法的,或者说不老实的方式。
The people who do it are scammers.
做这件事的人都是诈骗犯。
We talked about the phrasal verb fall for.
我们谈到了动词词组“信以为真”。
When you fall for something you believe something that is a trick or a lie, to be true.
当你对某事信以为真时,你会认为一个骗局或谎言是真的。
Then we heard about sleight of hand, which means use of clever skill to gain something dishonestly.
然后我们听说了“花招”,意思是用灵活的技巧不老实地获得一些东西。
And rifle, which means search something in order to steal from it.
还有“翻找”,意思是为了偷东西而搜寻某物。
Phishing, spelt with a ph, means tricking someone by email or online to get their personal data by pretending to be from your bank.
拼写里有“ph”的“网络钓鱼”是指通过伪装成来自银行的电子邮件或网络信息来骗取某人的个人信息。
Finally, we discussed sophisticated fraud.
最后,我们讨论了复杂的欺诈。
When something is sophisticated, it’s clever and often complicated.
当一个东西很复杂的时候,它是灵活的,而且通常很复杂。
Unlike our programme, Sam!
不像我们节目,萨姆!
Let’s hope so but now, we’ve reached the end of the programme.
希望如此,但现在我们已经到了节目最后了。
See you again soon. Bye!
下次见。拜!
Bye.
拜!