低调不张扬
lowkey
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak with me, Feifei…
大家好,欢迎来到BBC《地道英语》节目,我是菲菲……
…and me, Roy.
我是罗伊。
We may sound a little different - that's because we are not able to record in our normal studios during the coronavirus outbreak.
我们可能听起来与以往有些不同,这是因为在新冠肺炎疫情爆发期间,我们无法在平时的录音间录制节目。
Now Roy, stop using your phone!
罗伊,别玩手机了!
We're trying to talk!
我们需要对话!
Ahhh I know what game you're playing!
啊,我知道你在玩什么游戏!
You're probably too embarrassed to tell people which game it is –
你可能不好意思告诉别人是什么游戏——
and in this programme we have a word to use when you want to be discreet, or not let people know something.
本期节目中,我们要教给大家的这个词,就可以用来形容某人谨慎地、偷偷地干某事。
Well, I absolutely love this new app game –
嗯,我超级喜欢这个新应用游戏。
it's the one where you play as a dog that has to catch bananas and throw them through a hoop!
游戏里你扮演一只狗,必须抓住香蕉,然后扔过一个圈!
Have you played it?
你玩过吗?
I know the one!
我知道这个游戏!
It's called ‘Banana-catching dog hoop challenge - the game’.
名字叫“抓香蕉跳狗圈挑战游戏”。
I am lowkey addicted to playing it.
我低调地沉溺于玩这个游戏。
What? Why did you say ‘lowkey’?
什么?你为什么说“低调”?
Ahh, I used that word because I don't want everyone to know what I'm doing.
啊,我用这个词是因为我不想让每个人都知道我在做什么。
Surely you have some self-respect
你肯定自尊心强,
and don't want people to know that you're playing a game for 8-year-olds?
不想让别人知道你在玩8岁小孩子玩的游戏?
No, I don't care what people think of me.
不,我不在乎别人怎么看我。
I still watch cartoons, play video games and read comics.
我还在看动画片,玩电子游戏和看漫画。
Well, I'm sure there's something you want to be discreet about.
好吧,我确定,有些事你想低调一点。
We'll find out right after these examples.
我们听听这些例子,之后再找一些。
I lowkey love watching romantic comedies.
我喜欢看浪漫喜剧。
I tell my girlfriend I don't, but secretly I do.
我告诉我女朋友我没有,但我私下里看。
He is lowkey in love with Eric!
他偷偷地爱上了埃里克!
He talks about him all the time, but he won't admit it.
他一直在谈论他,但他不肯承认。
I lowkey fell over walking to the shops.
我朝商店走去时,没人看见的时候摔倒了。
I'm so embarrassed.
我太尴尬了。
This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English and we're talking about the word ‘lowkey’,
欢迎收听BBC《地道英语》,我们讨论的是“lowkey”这个词,
which is used when you don't want to admit to something.
当你不想承认某件事时可以用它。
Most people konw 'low-key' as an adjective which describes things - such as events - that are quiet.
大多数人都知道“low-key”是一个形容词,用来描述安静的事物,比如一件事。
Like a low-key wedding – one without many guests held in a modest venue.
就像一场低调的婚——一个没有很多客人的婚礼。
In the use in this programme,
在本期节目中,
lowkey is used as an adverb to mean ‘secretly’ or ‘moderately’.
“lowkey”被用作副词,意思是“偷偷地,暗地里”。
It's also spelt as one word.
品写上也是一个词。
You know the opposite to ‘lowkey’ is ‘high key’?
你知道“lowkey”(低调)的反义词是“high key”(高调)吗?
When you're proud about something and you want everyone to know,
当你为某件事感到骄傲时,你想让每个人都知道,
you use the term ‘high key’.
你就会用“high key”。
Roy. I'm more subtle and discreet than you.
罗伊,我比你更低调谨慎。
Well, I high key love playing video games – even that app game.
嗯,我光明正大地喜欢玩电子游戏,甚至是那个应用游戏。
Yeah, I know it's meant for young children,
是的,我知道这是专为小孩子准备的,
but it's still really cool.
但它还是很酷。
I lowkey enjoy them too,
我也偷偷地很享受玩这些游戏,
- I don't want to tell anyone.
我不想告诉任何人。
Well, I lowkey have about twenty other games like ‘Banana-catching dog hoop challenge - the game’ on my phone!
嗯,我的手机上还有大约20个游戏,比如“抓香蕉跳狗圈挑战游戏”!
I knew it!
我就知道!
I knew you'd want to be ‘lowkey’ about something.
我就知道你想低调点。
Do you want to play one?
你想玩一个吗?
Of course, I do!
当然,我想!
Bye, Roy.
再见,罗伊。
Bye.
再见。