变得出名
To put someone on the map
Hello I'm Feifei and this is The English We Speak.
大家好,我是菲菲,欢迎收听地道英语。
And hello I'm Neil.
大家好,我是尼尔。
Neil, I wonder if you could help me.
尼尔,我想知道你能不能帮帮我。
I'm trying to find something on this map.
我正在努力在地图上找东西。
Oh yes, map reading – I'm good at that.
噢可以啊,看地图啊,我可擅长这个了。
What are you trying to find?
你在找什么呢?
Well, I went to a gig last night and saw this new singer – he was amazing.
我昨晚去看了现场演出,看到了这个新歌手,他真是太棒了。
Thanks for inviting me!
谢谢你邀请我!
Anyway, what's that got to with a map?
总之,这和地图有什么关系呢?
Well, afterwards everyone was talking about it and saying the gig was so good that it will 'put him on the map'.
之后每个人都在谈论这个,他们说这个演出真的是特别好,这会把他“放在地图上”。
But… I just can't find him on here.
但是……我在上面找不到他呀。
Put the map away Feifei – you won't find him there.
把地图收起来吧菲菲,你不会在上面找到他的。
When we say someone will be 'put on the map' it means they will become famous or become more prominent –
如果我们说某个人被“放在地图上”,意思就是他们会出名或者变得更广为人知,
but not on a map!
但不是在地图上。
Right!
对!
Actually Neil, I've heard about a new restaurant I ate at being 'put on the map'.
菲菲,其实,我听说我吃过的一家新餐厅变得很有名了。
Yes, something as well as someone can be put on the map –
对,这个表达方式不仅可以可以说某事物,还可以说某人变得出名了,
or in other words, become famous, popular or well known.
也就是说变得著名,受欢迎或者广为人知。
You must have eaten at a good quality restaurant for it to be put on the map!
你吃饭的餐厅一定很好,它才会变得出名的。
I did!
确实!
Let's tuck into some examples shall we?
让我们来听一些例子,好吗?
Her first exhibition at the Tate gallery has put her on the map as a serious modern artist.
她在泰特美术馆的第一场展览使她作为一个严肃的现代艺术家而声名大噪。
This great tasting food has really put this new restaurant on the map.
美味的食物使得这家新餐厅出名了。
Hosting the Olympics has put this city on the map as a great place to come for a holiday.
奥运会的举办使得这座城市广为人知,成为了一个度假的好地方。
So that's to put someone or something on the map – to become famous, popular or more prominent.
所以说,某人或某事物变得出名,就是变得有名气,受欢迎或更加广为人知。
I suppose it suggests that becoming famous means you are now important enough for your name to be seen or heard by everyone.
我想,这是说变得出名,意思是你现在足够重要,你的名字能被每个人看到或听到。
That's right.
对。
In the old days when a place was too small and unimportant it wasn't shown on a map –
从前,如果一个地方太小或是不重要的话,它是不会出现在地图上的,
but when it became more important it was 'put on the map'.
但如果它变得更为重要了,就会被标注在地图上。
Right.
对。
Anyway Neil, let me look at that map again…
无论如何尼尔,让我再看看那张地图吧……
OK.
好。
Look!
看!
That singer I saw really is on the map – right there.
我看到的那个歌手真的在地图上——就在那儿。
Really?
真的吗?
What was he called?
他叫什么?
Man-chester'
“曼-彻斯特”。
Man-chester, Manchester.
曼-彻斯特,曼彻斯特。
Of course!
当然了!
Bye.
再见。