并非易事
No picnic
Hello, I'm Rob…
大家好,我是罗布……
… and I'm Feifei and this is The English We Speak.
……我是菲菲,欢迎收听地道英语。
… and today we're outdoors, in the park, having a picnic.
……今天我们在户外,在公园里野餐。
Yes, a picnic –
对,野餐,
it's very nice, thanks for preparing it Rob.
非常棒,谢谢你为此做的准备,罗布。
Oh no problem…
噢,没问题的……
Well actually, it was a problem…
嗯,事实上,这是一个问题……
Oh, I thought preparing a picnic would be easy.
噢,我还以为准备野餐很容易呢。
No no.
不。
First I had to find some money to buy some food,
首先,我得找一些钱来买食物,
then I had to walk to the supermarket because my car isn't working,
然后我得走到超市,因为我的车坏了,
then I had to prepare the food, then I had to go to work….
之后我得准备食物,然后我要去上班……
and then I had to…
然后我得……
Oh I get it, it was an effort.
噢我懂了,这是需要花费力气的。
What I'm saying is it was no picnic!
我要说的是,“这不是一次野餐”!
Huh?
啊?
It is Rob, look, sandwiches, crisps, salad, strawberries…
这是野餐呀罗布,看,三明治,薯片,沙拉,草莓……
That's a picnic but making it was 'no picnic' –
这是一次野餐,但准备野餐“不是野餐”——
I mean there was nothing easy or pleasant about it.
我的意思是说,准备野餐不是一件容易或者愉快的事。
I get it!
我懂了!
Let's hear some more examples of situations that are 'no picnic'…
让我们再来听几个“并非易事”这种情况的例子吧……
Having no job and trying to pay the bills is no picnic.
没工作还要付账单可不是一件易事呀。
Living on the fifth floor without a lift is no picnic;
住在五楼还没有电梯可不是一件易事呀;
I have to carry everything up the stairs.
我不得不爬楼梯把所有东西搬上来。
So when you say something is 'no picnic' you mean it's a difficult or unpleasant situation.
所以当你说某事“并非易事”时,你是说这种情况很困难,或者不令人愉快。
Well Rob, it may have been difficult to prepare but it was worth the effort –
罗布,野餐准备起来可能很麻烦,但这些努力都是值得的——
the food is delicious.
食物很美味。
Oh thanks very much.
噢非常感谢。
Oh no, rain!
噢不,下雨了!
I think we'd better take cover.
我觉得我们最好赶快躲起来。
Quick!
快点!
Oh dear, it seems that this is literally no picnic.
噢天啊,从字面意思上说,好像也是没有野餐了呀。
Come on let's drive home.
快来,让我们开车回家吧。
We can't.
不行。
My car's not working remember?
我的车坏了,记得吗?
Oh yes.
噢对。
Bye.
再见。
Bye.
再见。