照常工作的节假日
A busman's holiday
Hello, I'm Rob…
大家好,我是罗布……
… and I'm Feifei and this is The English We Speak.
……我是菲菲,欢迎收听地道英语。
So it should have been Neil presenting with you today
今天本来应该是尼尔和你一起做节目的,
but he's gone on holiday so you've got me instead.
但他去度假了,所以我替他来了。
Yes I know –
对,我知道——
Neil's on holiday for two whole weeks!
尼尔有整整两周的假期!
Oh lucky Neil.
尼尔真是太幸运了。
Two weeks doing nothing -
两周什么也不干,
sitting on the beach in the sun, eating ice-cream.
就坐在沙滩上晒晒太阳,吃吃冰激凌。
Wonderful!
太棒了!
Oh Neil won't be sitting on any beaches.
噢,尼尔是不会坐在什么沙滩上的。
He's going to help teach English at a school in Spain.
他要去西班牙的一所学校里帮忙教英语。
What!
什么!
He's gone to Spain to do the same work he does here –
他去西班牙做和在这儿一样的工作,
that's a bit of a busman's holiday, isn't it?
这可是有一点“公交车司机的假期”的感觉啊,对吧?
But his job isn't driving buses Rob.
但他的工作不是开公交车啊罗布。
No Feifei –
不是的菲菲,
a busman's holiday is a holiday where you do the same thing you do at work instead of just having a rest.
“照常工作的假期”的意思是说在假期仍然要做一些与自己平日上班做的相同的工作,而不是休息。
I see.
我懂了。
A busman's holiday is not about going on a bus.
“照常工作的假期”这个表达方式与公交车无关。
It's a strange choice for Neil isn't it Rob?
对于尼尔来说,这是一个奇怪的选择,对吧罗布?
It is but he's not the only one –
是的,但不是只有他一个人这样,
listen to these examples…
来听听这些例子吧……
The taxi driver said he was going on a driving holiday around Europe –
那位出租车司机说,他在欧洲各地自己驾车旅行——
it sounds like a busman's holiday to me!
我觉得这听起来就像是他在假期继续工作一样!
I decided to take a break from playing in the band and go on holiday
我决定放下乐队的工作去度个假,
but it turned into a busman's holiday when I ended up busking to raise enough money for my plane ticket home.
但当最后我为了筹够回家的机票钱在街头卖艺时,这假期就变成了照常工作的节假日。
So that's a busman's holiday,
所以这就是照常工作的节假日,
where you go on holiday to do the same or similar work that you do at home.
就是说在休假的时候,你还是会做和在家做的相同或相似的工作。
If I went on holiday, doing my job would be the last thing I'd do.
要是我去度假,工作会是我最不想做的事情。
Yes me too but think about what Neil actually does in his job….
对,我也是,但是想想尼尔实际的工作……
He drinks tea… sits around chatting… goes shopping…
他喝茶……无所事事地聊天……去购物……
Exactly –
没错,
and he'll be doing the same in Spain.
他在西班牙也会这么做的。
Now that sounds like my kind of busman's holiday!
现在这听起来有点像我照常工作的节假日了!
When can I go?
我什么时候能去呢?
Let's finish the programme first.
让我们先把这期节目做完吧。
OK.
好的。
Bye!
再见!
Bye.
再见。