太健忘
A memory like a sieve
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak with me, Feifei…
大家好,欢迎来到BBC《地道英语》,我是菲菲。
…and me, Rob.
我是罗伯。
Thanks for joining me in the kitchen today, Feifei,
谢谢你今天和我一起下厨房,菲菲,
for the unveiling of my new cake.
迎接我的新蛋糕。
It's just a cake, Rob,
这只是个蛋糕,罗伯,
but if it's good, I'm happy to try a slice.
不过如果还不错的话,我很高兴尝一片。
Well, let's get it out of the oven now…
好了,我们现在把它从烤箱里拿出来吧。
There we go... Ta da!
来吧!嗒嗒!
Err… looks great, Rob,
呃……看起来不错,罗伯。
but let's try it...
不过我们试试看吧。
It's a bit stodgy, heavy… even lumpy.
有点不好消化,有点腻……甚至还有疙瘩。
Right.
是的。
So you don't actually like it!
所以你真的不喜欢它!
I followed the recipe exactly,
我完全按照食谱操作的,
although perhaps I forgot to do something to the flour.
也许我忘了对面粉做点什么。
I seem to...
我好像……
Oh I seem to have a memory like a...
哦,我印象里好像是……
A sieve.
“筛子”。
That's it!
就是这样!
I didn't sieve the flour – that explains the lumps.
我没有筛面粉——所以才会有疙瘩。
No, Rob, I meant you have a memory like a sieve.
不,罗伯,我是说你的记忆就像筛子一样。
When we say someone has a memory like a sieve,
当我们说某人有像筛子一样的记忆时,
we mean they have a very bad memory and forget things easily!
意思是说他们的记忆力很差,容易忘记事情!
Your memory is bad,
你记性不好,
Rob – you can't forget things when you're cooking.
罗伯,你做饭的时候可不能记不住。
Well, I'm not the only one.
我不是唯一一个健忘的人。
Listen to these examples.
听一听这些例子。
I've been making my own lunch to take to work,
我一直自己做午饭带去上班,
but I've got a memory like a sieve and I keep leaving it at home!
但我太健忘了,我总是把午饭忘在家里!
My husband's got a memory like a sieve – he keeps going out and leaving the iron switched on.
我丈夫的记性太差了,他总是出门不关电熨斗。
I've got a memory like a sieve – I left the house without my keys this morning and now I'm locked out!
我记性不好,今天早上我没带钥匙就出门了,现在我被锁在外面了!
You're listening to The English We Speak from BBC Learning English,
欢迎收听BBC《地道英语》,
and we're talking about the phrase 'to have a memory like a sieve'.
我们正在学习短语“to have a memory like a sieve”。
It basically means bits of information fall through your memory and get forgotten,
实际上它的意思是一些信息从你的记忆中掉下来,被遗忘,
just like flour falling through the sieve that Rob should have used when baking a cake!
就像面粉从罗伯烤蛋糕时应该用的筛子里掉下来!
So are you going to try again, Rob?
你要再尝试一次吗,罗伯?
No, I think my baking days are over,
不,我想我的烘焙日子已经结束了。
but luckily I bought one from the shop just in case.
但幸运的是我从店里买了一个蛋糕,以防万一。
That's OK.
没关系的。
A shop-bought cake will do – so get it out and I'll put the kettle on.
商店买一个蛋糕就行了,所以把蛋糕拿出来吧,我把水壶放上去。
Great… err… Now where did I put it?
太棒了!呃……我把它放哪儿了?
I know it's around here somewhere?
我知道它就在这附近?
Memory like a sieve again, Rob?
又健忘了,罗伯?
Looks like it.
看上去是的。
I've got a lot on my mind, Feifei.
我脑子里装着很多事,菲菲。
Don't worry, I've found it – it's here in the fridge with the milk!
别担心,我找到了,它和牛奶一起放在冰箱里!
Honestly, I'd forget my own name sometimes!
老实说,我有时会忘记自己的名字!
Bye, Rob.
再见,罗伯。
Ah that's it!
啊!是的,就是这样!
Bye!
再见!