残疾洋娃娃
Disabled Doll
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English, the programme where we discuss a topical subject and introduce you to some of the interesting vocabulary connected to that topic.
大家好,欢迎收听BBC六分钟英语栏目,我们会讨论一个热门话题,并向大家介绍一些有关该话题的有趣词汇。
I'm Sean and with me is Rosie.
我是肖恩,今天来到节目的还有罗西。
Hi there.
大家好。
So - Rosie, you're a girl!
所以,罗西,你是个女孩!
Yes, I am!
是的,我是!
Well, then I'm guessing you played with dolls when you were younger?
那么我猜你年幼的时候会玩洋娃娃?
And your guess is right.
你猜的很正确。
I did indeed play with dolls but not only girls play with dolls... there's nothing wrong with boys playing with dolls too!
我确实玩过玩偶,但不止女孩玩洋娃娃,男孩也可以玩啊!
Not at all... in fact, I can remember playing with a doll myself… a doll with red hair…. but today’s story is about another kind of doll which is causing some controversy in Sweden.
不...事实上,我记得玩过一个洋娃娃...一个红色头发的洋娃娃...但今天的故事关于另一种洋娃娃,它在瑞典引发了一些争议。
We'll hear all about that in a minute, but of course we’ll start as usual with a quiz question. Are you ready Rosie?
我们一会就能听到这一话题,但当然,我们会像往常一样先给大家一个小测验。罗西,准备好了吗?
Yes I am.
准备好了。
Okay. This may give everyone a bit of a clue to the subject of today's story.
好吧,这可能会给大家一些今天主题的线索。
Here is the quiz question: Which of these sports is NOT in the Paralympic Games: Basketball? Cricket? Football?
测验问题是:以下哪项运动不在残奥会中举行:篮球?板球?足球?
Well, I'm going to say cricket.
我想选板球。
I don't think cricket is in the Paralympic Games.
我不认为残奥会中有板球运动。
Okay, any particular reason?
有什么特别理由吗?
Well, I just think that only certain countries really appreciate cricket.
好吧,我只是认为只有少数国家重视板球。
So, Rosie, have you ever played cricket?
所以,罗西,你玩过板球吗?
Well no I haven't.
不,我没有。
I am one of those people who doesn't really understand the rules.
我真的不了解这些规则。
Hmm. OK. And you're English.
好的,你是英国人。
I know.
我知道。
But, anyway we'll find out the answer at the end of the programme.
但无论如何,我们会在节目最后揭晓答案。
So, we were talking about dolls.
所以,我们谈论的是洋娃娃。
Yes, and one doll in particular that has been causing controversy in Gothenburg Sweden.
是的,尤其是在瑞典哥德堡引发争议的洋娃娃。
It's controversial because it's a disabled doll.
这是有争议的,因为它是一个残疾娃娃。
A disabled doll.
一个残疾娃娃。
That is controversial.
这是有争议的。
A controversy is a debate or argument with people expressing different opinions.
controversy是指一个表达不同意见的辩论或与人的争执。
So if something is controversial it means it’s causing or likely to cause some argument.
但如果事情是有争议的就意味着它可能导致或引起一些争论。
And that's because this doll has irregular facial features and twisted arms of someone with a disability...
这是因为这个残疾娃娃有着不规则的面部特征和扭曲的胳膊。
It’s meant to encourage debate about the treatment of people with disabilities.
其目的是为了鼓励思考如何对待残疾人。
But now, listen to the first part of a report from the BBC's Jo Fidgen about the CP doll.
现在,听一下来自BBC记者乔报告的第一部分。
What does she say the letters CP are short for?
她说的字母CP是什么的简写?
It's called the CP Doll, CP being short for cerebral palsy, but also a common insult meaning someone or something that isn't functioning properly.
它叫CP娃娃,CP是脑瘫的简写,但还有一个常见意思是某人或某事不正常运作。
The slogan on the packaging reads, ''Treat her like a real retard.''
包装上的标语写着“对待她就像对待一个真正的残疾人”。
The group behind the idea, The Gothenburg Cooperative for Independent Living, provides personal assistance for the disabled.
该集团背后的理念,独立生活哥德堡合作社,是为残疾人提供个人援助。
Jo Fidgen in Sweden.
乔在瑞典。
She says that the group behind the idea of the CP doll provides personal assistance for the disabled. And...
她说,该集团CP娃娃的理念是为残疾人提供个人援助。同时...
And she said CP is short for cerebral palsy, a condition causing disability.
她说,CP是脑瘫的缩写,导致残疾的一个状况。
That's right.
是的。
It's an abbreviation for cerebral palsy but in Sweden it has another meaning as well.
它是脑瘫的缩写,但是在瑞典则有另一个含义。
It's an insult meaning someone or something isn't functioning –isn't working- properly.
It‘s an insult的意思是某人或某事不能正常工作。
The insult is on the packaging as well.
包装上也有残损的标志。
Yes 'retard' is used as an insult; a term of abuse.
是的,retard被用作延迟的意思。
So this doll has offended people – they are shocked.
所以这个娃娃让人感到不舒服——他们感到震惊。
Yes, they are shocked but the director of the organisation that produced the doll, Andush Vestia, who uses a wheelchair, says that he got fed up with what he calls ''degrading kindness'' .
是的,他们感到震惊,但生产该娃娃组织的主管,需要使用轮椅的维斯塔表示他受够了“有辱人格的善良”。
Here he talks about what often happens when he goes shopping.
他谈到了他购物时常发生的事。
Listen out for how he says people treat him.
留心听他说的人们是怎样对待他的。
Often times when I go shopping people tap me on my head and tell me ''Oh it's great for you to be able to shop by yourself.''
当我购物的时候,人们经常轻叩我的头,并和我说“你能自己出来购物真是太伟大了”。
People treat you more or less like a child.
人们几乎像对待小孩子一样对待我。
That is something that we are tired of.
我对此厌倦了。
We would like to be treated as regular people and the doll is a means for us to be able to bring this topic to the surface.
我希望大家能把我看作普通人,而这个洋娃娃对我们而言意味着能把这个话题带到表面。
The Director of the Gothenburg Cooperative for Independent Living, which helps disabled people.
独立生活哥德堡合作社帮助残疾人。
He doesn't like people's attitudes.
其主管不喜欢人们的态度。
He says it's degrading.
他认为这十分可耻。
He calls it 'degrading kindness'. – taking away his dignity. Or patronising.
他称之为“有辱人格的善良”——带走了他的尊严。
Yes and he gave the example of people patting him on the head and saying that it is great that he shops by himself.
是的,他给出了人们拍他头说他能自己购物很伟大的例子。
Did you catch how he says people treat him?
你听到他如何描述人们是怎么对待他的吗?
Yes, he said that people treat him more or less like a child.
是的,他说人们几乎把他当成孩子。
And that is degrading.
这很可耻。
So, back to the story of the doll: the CP doll is meant to raise awareness of people's attitudes to the disabled.
所以,让我们回到残疾娃娃的主题:制造CP娃娃的用意是改善人们对待残疾人的态度。
It has been policy in Sweden that the disabled have the same opportunities and access as everyone else.
残疾人拥有与正常人一样的机会和权利,这一直是瑞典的政策。
Which brings us back to the quiz question you asked at the beginning of the programme.
这让我们想起节目开始时的测验问题。
That's right it does.
没错。
So, did you get it? Which of these sports is NOT in the Paralympic Games? Basketball, Cricket, Football.
所以,你知道答案了吗?以下哪项运动不在残奥会中举行:篮球?板球?足球?
So, Rosie?
所以,罗西?
I said cricket.
我的答案是板球。
You did. You said cricket.
是的,你选择了板球。
Are you sticking with cricket?
你坚持选择板球吗?
I did. Is it right?
是的,是正确的吗?
It is right. Gold medal to Rosie.
是正确的。金牌,罗西。
And with that cricket is not in Paralympic Games coming to London very soon.
即将到来的伦敦残奥会中没有板球运动。
But for now we've come to the end of the programme.
我们的节目该结束了。
So, Rosie, just please remind us of some of the words we heard today.
所以,罗西,提示一下今天听到的词汇吧。
controversial
有争议的
cerebral palsy
脑麻痹
insult
损害
retard
妨碍
degrading
可耻的
look down on
轻视
That's all we have time for today but do join us again for more 6 Minute English.
今天的节目结束了,欢迎继续收听BBC六分钟英语。
Bye for now!
再见!
Bye!
再见!