未来的食物
The future of food
Hello. This is 6 Minute English. I'm Neil.
大家好。这里是六分钟英语,我是尼尔。
And I'm Sam.
我是萨姆。
Sam, have you considered the future of food much?
萨姆,你有考虑过未来的食物吗?
Well I think in the future I might have a sandwich – in about 30 minutes in the future.
好吧,我觉得未来我可能会吃一个三明治——在30分钟后的未来。
Not quite what I meant!
不完全是我想表达的意思!
With the population of the world increasing along with the negative effects of climate change and other global issues, we might have to radically change our diets in the future.
随着世界人口的增长以及气候变化和其他全球性问题的负面影响,我们可能不得不在未来彻底改变我们的饮食。
Ah, yes I have heard about this – there are all sorts of developments from growing artificial meat to developing insect-based foods.
啊,是的,我听说过——从生产人造肉到开发以昆虫为原料的食品,有各种各样的发展。
Mmm, tasty.
嗯,美味。
Well we’ll look a little more at this topic shortly, but we start, as ever, with a question and it’s a food-based question.
好的,我们很快将会对这个话题有更多的了解,但和往常一样,我们从一个问题开始,那是一个基于食物的问题。
In which continent did tomatoes originate?
西红柿起源于哪个洲?
Is it… A: South America, B: Africa or C: Asia?
是A:南美洲,B:非洲,还是C:亚洲?
What do you think, Sam?
你觉得呢,萨姆?
No idea.
不知道。
I’m going to say Africa, but that’s just a guess.
我会说是非洲,但那只是猜测。
OK. Well I will reveal the answer later in the programme.
好的。稍后在节目里我将揭晓答案。
On a recent edition of BBC Radio 4’s The Food Programme there was an interview with Dr Morgaine Gaye.
在BBC广播4频道最近一期的《美食》节目中,有一段对摩根·盖伊博士的采访。
She is a futurologist.
她是一位未来学家。
A futurologist is someone who studies and predicts the way we will be living in the future.
未来学家是研究和预测我们未来生活方式的人。
Her particular area of expertise is the subject of food.
她的专长领域是食物。
What two things does she say she thinks about?
她说她要考虑哪两件事?
As a food futurologist, I think about not just what we’re going to be eating in the future but why.
作为一名食物未来学家,我考虑的不仅是我们将来要吃什么,还有为什么要吃。
Why that thing, why that trend, why will people suddenly latch onto that food, that way of eating that food at that particular time?
为什么要吃那个东西,为什么有那种趋势,为什么人们会突然对那种食物,对在特定时间吃那种食物的方式产生浓厚兴趣?
And when I work for large companies, that’s what they want to know.
当我在大公司工作的时候,这是他们想知道的。
There is an element of a hunch.
就有一种预感。
And then proving or disproving that hunch.
然后要证明或反驳这种预感。
So, what two things does she think about?
所以她要考虑哪两件事?
She says that as a food futurologist she thinks about what we will be eating in the future and also why we will be eating that food.
她说作为一名食物未来学家,她要考虑的是我们将来吃什么,以及为什么我们会吃那种食物。
Yes, in particular she looks at why there are particular trends.
是的,她专门研究为什么会有特定的趋势。
A trend is what is popular now or what is becoming popular.
趋势就是现在流行或者将要流行的东西。
For example, at the moment there is a trend for eating less red meat.
例如,目前有一种少吃红肉的趋势。
She also looks at why people latch onto particular trends.
她同样研究人们为什么对特定的趋势产生浓厚兴趣。
To latch onto here means to be very interested in something.
“To latch onto“在这里的意思是对某事物非常感兴趣。
So if you latch onto a particular food trend, you start to follow that trend, you might start eating that particular diet.
所以如果你对一种特定的饮食趋势产生浓厚兴趣,你就会开始追随这个趋势,你可能会开始那种特定的饮食。
Information about future trends is very important for companies in the food business.
对食品行业的公司来说,关于未来食物趋势的信息非常重要。
How does she actually predict these trends?
她事实上是如何预测这些趋势的呢?
She says she starts with a hunch.
她说她一开始就有预感。
A hunch is a feeling you get that something is true.
预感是你觉得某事是真的的一种感觉。
You don’t have any real evidence, but your experience and knowledge makes you think you might be right.
你没有任何真实证据,但是你的经验和知识让你觉得你可能是对的。
Let’s listen again.
让我们再听一遍。
As a food futurologist, I think about not just what we’re going to be eating in the future but why.
作为一名食物未来学家,我考虑的不仅是我们将来要吃什么,还有为什么要吃。
Why that thing, why that trend, why will people suddenly latch onto that food, that way of eating that food at that particular time?
为什么要吃那个东西,为什么有那种趋势,为什么人们会突然对那种食物,对在特定时间吃那种食物的方式产生浓厚兴趣?
And when I work for large companies, that’s what they want to know.
当我在大公司工作的时候,这是他们想知道的。
There is an element of a hunch.
就有一种预感。
And then proving or disproving that hunch.
然后要证明或反驳这种预感。
Dr Gaye goes on to talk about how on the subject of food, there are restrictions.
盖伊博士接着谈到了在食物的问题上如何有一些限制。
Why is that?
这是为什么呢?
Food business of course has different restrictions around it because it’s about safety, we’re ingesting that.
食品行业当然有不同的限制,因为它关乎安全,我们要摄取食物。
The supply chain and the labelling laws are very stringent especially in this country,
供应链和标签法律非常严格,尤其是在这个国家,
so it takes a lot long to get an idea from just a concept that’s discussed around a table to an actual production facility, labelled, branded, tested, marketed and put on the shelves.
所以需要花费很长时间才能从一个在桌子上讨论的概念到实际生产设施,贴上标签,品牌化,测试,营销和上架。
So, why restrictions?
所以为什么有限制?
Well, it’s about safety.
好吧,它关乎安全。
Because we are ingesting food, which is a way of saying we are putting it into our bodies, it has to be safe.
因为我们在摄取食物,也就是说我们在把食物咽进肚子里,所以食物必须是安全的。
It can be a long process of developing a new food and getting it into the shops because of the need to be safe and meet the laws of different countries.
开发一种新食物并让它在商店上架可能是一个漫长的过程,因为它需要是安全的并符合不同国家的法律。
In the UK she mentions that the food safety laws are very stringent.
她提到在英国食品安全法非常严格。
This means that the laws are very tough, very strict.
这指的是法律非常严格。
Let’s hear Dr Gaye again.
让我们再听听盖伊博士所说的。
Food business of course has different restrictions around it because it’s about safety, we’re ingesting that.
食品行业当然有不同的限制,因为它关乎安全,我们要摄取食物。
The supply chain and the labelling laws are very stringent especially in this country,
供应链和标签法律非常严格,尤其是在这个国家,
so it takes a lot long to get an idea from just a concept that’s discussed around a table to an actual production facility, labelled, branded, tested, marketed and put on the shelves.
所以需要花费很长时间才能从一个在桌子上讨论的概念到实际生产设施,贴上标签,品牌化,测试,营销和上架。
Right, well before we review our vocabulary, let’s get the answer to the question.
好的,在我们复习词汇之前,让我们揭晓问题的答案。
In which continent did tomatoes originate?
西红柿起源于哪个洲?
Is it… A: South America, B: Africa, C: Asia?
是A:南美洲,B:非洲,C:亚洲?
Sam, what did you say?
萨姆,你说是什么?
I made a guess at Africa.
我猜是在非洲。
Well, I’m afraid that’s not right.
好吧,恐怕那不对。
Congratulations though to everyone who said South America.
不过,还是要恭喜所有选择南美洲的人。
Right, let’s recap today’s words and expressions.
好的,让我们来回顾一下今天的单词和短语。
OK, well we started with the word futurologist.
好的,我们从“未来学家”这个单词开始。
This is a noun to describe someone who studies and predicts the way we will be living in the future.
这是一个名词,用来描述研究和预测我们未来生活方式的人。
Then we had trend.
然后我们学了“趋势”。
This word can describe what is popular now and the way in which what is popular is changing.
这个词可以描述现在流行的东西,以及流行的东西所改变的方式。
For example now we are seeing a trend for eating less red meat in some parts of the world.
例如,现在我们在世界的一些地方看到一种趋势——少吃红肉。
If you latch onto something, you become interested in it and associate yourself with it – we heard that people very quickly latch onto food trends.
如果你对事物产生浓厚兴趣,你就会对它感兴趣,并将自己与之联系起来——我们听说人们很快就会对食物的趋势产生浓厚兴趣。
Then there was hunch.
然后是“预感”。
A hunch is a feeling about something you think might be true even though you don’t have real evidence for it.
预感是你认为某事可能是真的的一种感觉,即使你没有真正的证据。
Ingesting something means taking it into your body, so eating or drinking it.
摄取某种东西指的是把它咽进肚子里,所以是吃或者喝。
And finally a stringent rule is a very strict rule, a tough rule or law which in connection to food is designed to make sure it is safe and of a suitable quality.
最后严格的规定是非常严格的规定,与食品相关的严格规定或法律旨在确保食物是安全的,且质量适合。
OK, thank you, Sam.
好的,谢谢你,萨姆。
That’s all from 6 Minute English.
以上就是今天六分钟英语的全部内容。
Goodbye!
再见!
Bye-bye!
拜拜!