广而告之
To shout it from the rooftops
Hello, I'm Neil…
大家好,我是尼尔……
… and hello, I'm Feifei and welcome to The English We Speak.
……大家好,我是菲菲,欢迎收听地道英语。
Now Feifei, here's a question for you.
菲菲,现在问你一个问题。
If you had some news what would do?
如果你得到了一些消息,你会怎么办?
Hmm, I would tell someone of course.
嗯,我当然是会告诉别人了。
Yes but some good news, some amazing, incredible news about yourself –
对,但如果是一些好消息,一些很棒的,难以置信的关于你自己的消息呢,
like for example, I'm having a baby.
比如说,我要有宝宝了。
Are you really?
真的吗?
Of course not –
当然不是,
but if you had exciting news like that, how would you tell people?
但如果你有这样令人激动的消息,你要怎么告诉别人呢?
I'd use social media… tell all my friends… tell everyone in the office…
我会使用社交媒体啊……告诉我所有的朋友……告诉办公室里的每一个人……
I would shout about it – but not literally.
我会把它“喊出来”——但不是字面上的意思啊。
Exactly!
对!
Which is why, in English, we say we would 'shout it from the rooftops'
这就是为什么,在英语里,我们说我们会“在屋顶上喊话”,
which means we would share some information publicly so everyone knows.
意思就是我们会公开分享一些信息,让每个人都知道。
I guess this is how people shared important news before TV, radio and the internet had been invented.
我猜想在电视、收音机和互联网被发明之前,人们大概就是这样分享重要消息的吧。
Exactly.
确实。
They would climb up somewhere high and shout it out!
他们会爬上高高的地方,把它喊出来!
Let's hear some examples…
让我们来听一些例子吧……
Congratulations for getting a first in your degree,
祝贺你在学位成绩上获得第一名,
you should go and shout it from the rooftops!
你应该去把这个消息告诉每一个人!
I know you won the lottery but don't shout it from the rooftops;
我知道你赢了彩票,但也不用这么广而告之吧;
otherwise everyone will be after your money!
否则人人都会想得到你的钱哟!
We all know Ming is in love with JiYuen,
我们都知道明爱上了纪媛,
he's been shouting it from the rooftops!
他可是都广而告之了!
So to shout something from the rooftops means to tell everyone your good news.
所以“从屋顶上向下喊”意思就是说将你的好消息告诉每个人。
Hold on a minute Neil, I do have some good news…
等一下尼尔,我确实有一些好消息……
I am getting a pay rise!
我涨工资啦!
Sorry, what did you say?
抱歉,你说啥?
I am getting a pay rise!
我要涨工资啦!
OK, no need to shout.
好吧,你也不用喊啊。
Feifei, be careful, there are some things you don't want to shout from the rooftops –
菲菲,当心点,有些事情是你不想告诉每个人的,
that news will just upset people.
这种消息会让别人不开心的。
Like who?
比如谁呢?
Like me.
比如我呀。
I didn't get one.
我可没涨工资。
But congratulations anyway.
不过无论如何,还是祝贺你啦。
Bye.
再见。