爱吃甜食
Sweet tooth
Hi you are listening to The English We Speak.
大家好,你们正在收听的是地道英语。
I am Li and with me today is Finn.
我是李,今天和我一起的是芬恩。
Hi Finn.
嗨,芬恩。
Hello everyone…
大家好…
Oh dear, your face is a bit swollen.
噢亲爱的,你的脸有点肿。
What's the matter?
你怎么了?
I've got this bad toothache again!
我又牙疼了!
Blame my mother for giving me a sweet tooth, Li.
都怪我妈妈给了我一颗甜牙齿,李。
Yes you are very sweet and you always bring us nice chocolates and sweets.
嗯,你人很好,你总是带美味的巧克力和糖果给我们吃。
But why should you blame your mother for this great quality – your kindness?
但为什么要责怪你妈妈给了你这项美好品质——你的善良呢?
Oh that's very sweet of you Li,
噢,李,你真是太好了。
but the phrase to have 'a sweet tooth' is another way of saying
但是有“一颗甜牙齿”是说
that someone craves sweet food all the time,
有的人时时刻刻都想要吃甜食,
such as sweets, desserts and chocolates.
比如糖果、甜点和巧克力。
I see.
我明白了。
So when you say someone has a sweet tooth
所以你说某人有颗甜牙齿的时候
you mean this person likes sweet-tasting food,
你的意思是这个人喜欢甜味食品,
such as sweets, chocolates and desserts.
比如糖果、巧克力和甜点。
Oh that's right, yes.
对,就是这样。
Have you noticed that I take five sugars in my tea?
你注意到我往我的茶里放了五块糖吗?
I usually have six or seven cups of tea every day!
我一天通常要喝六到七杯茶呢!
That sounds like you do have a sweet tooth!
听起来你确实很爱吃甜食!
Let's hear some examples of how this expression is used:
让我们来听几个例子,看看这个表达方式是怎么用的吧:
John always has a bag of sweets open on his desk.
约翰的桌子上总是放着一袋打开的糖果。
He's got such a sweet tooth.
他太爱吃甜食了。
I wish I didn't have a sweet tooth,
我希望我没有这么爱吃甜食,
because I had four rotten teeth pulled out and eight filled when I was only twenty.
因为我才二十岁的时候,就已经拔掉了四颗蛀牙,还补过八颗牙。
You know what Finn,
你知道吗芬恩,
don't blame your mother.
不要怪你妈妈。
Blame the 'sweet' culture of Britain.
应该怪英国的“甜食”文化。
I think that this country makes the best desserts in the world!
我觉得英国的甜点是世界上最好吃的!
Really Li?
真的吗,李?
Well it is difficult to resist the temptation of the yummy cakes you see in the shops!
嗯,商店里美味蛋糕的诱惑确实难以抵挡!
So, seeing as you've got such bad toothache,
所以,看在你牙疼得厉害的份上,
perhaps I could help you with the delicious cheesecake you have with you in the studio…
也许我可以帮你把你带到演播室的美味奶酪蛋糕吃掉…
Oh… you are cheeky, aren't you, Li?
噢…你真是厚脸皮啊,对吧,李?
I will buy you one back when your toothache is gone,
等你牙不疼了,我会买一块还给你的,
I promise.
我保证。
That's a deal!
成交!
Bye!
再见!