饿怒:当你饥饿的时候会愤怒吗?
Hangry: are you angry when you're hungry?
Hello. I'm Neil.
大家好。我是尼尔。
Hello. I'm Dan.
大家好,我是丹。
Neil, aren't you going to say the 'welcome to 6 Minute English' bit?
尼尔,你不是要说“欢迎来到六分钟英语”吗?
Hmmm maybe.
额,或许吧。
How's your mood today, Dan?
你今天心情怎么样,丹?
Feeling happy?
觉得开心吗?
Oh, yes, very happy.
噢,是的,非常开心。
I’ve just had lunch.
我刚吃完午饭。
What about you?
你呢?
Well, to be honest, I haven’t had the chance to eat yet and it’s making me a bit grumpy.
好吧,老实说,到现在我还没机会去吃午饭,而且那让我有一点暴躁。
Why haven’t you eaten?
为什么你还没有吃饭?
Well, I was doing some research for today’s topic, which is all about feeling angry when you are hungry.
好吧,我当时正在做一些关于今天节目主题的调查,都是关于当你饥饿的时候的愤怒感。
You know what I’m talking about?
你知道我在说什么吗?
Oh, yes, we’re talking about being ‘hangry’.
噢,是的,我们正在谈论“饿怒”。
It’s quite a new word, isn’t it?
它是一个非常新颖的单词,不是吗?
A combination of ‘hungry’ and ‘angry’.
将“饥饿”和“愤怒”组合起来。
Yes, hangry is our topic.
是的,饿怒是我们今天节目的主题。
But before we learn more about it, here’s today’s quiz.
但是在我们了解更多之前,先看一下今天的问题。
English has quite a few words, which are made by joining two different words together like ‘hangry’, for example: brunch, motel, Brexit.
英语中有许多像“饿怒”这样由两个不同单词合成的词,例如:早午餐,汽车旅馆,脱欧。
What do we call these words?
我们把这些单词叫什么?
Are they… a) Suitcase words b) Portmanteau words, or c) Backpack words ?
a) Suitcase words b) Portmanteau words, 还是 c) Backpack words
Well, I think I know this one, so I’ll keep the answer to myself, don’t want to give away any spoilers.
好吧,我想我知道答案,所以我会保留答案,不想给出任何剧透。
What I do want to know is if hanger is a real thing or is it just something that’s been made up by grumpy people, like you?
我确实想知道的是饿怒是真实的事物还是说它仅仅是一些像你一样暴躁的人编造出来的某事物?
Let’s hear from Sophie Medlin, who is a lecturer in nutrition and dietetics at King’s College London.
让我们听一下索菲•梅德林是怎么说的,她是伦敦大学国王学院的一位营养膳食讲师。
Is hangar a real thing and where does the word come from?
饿怒是真实的事物吗?这个词来自哪里?
We’ve long recognised that hunger leads to irritability in science.
在科学领域,我们在很长时间里认为饥饿会导致易怒情绪。
But the wonderful world of social media has merged the two words for us and now we know it as hanger.
但是社交媒体丰富的世界为我们将两个词合并在一起,现在形成“饿怒”这个单词被我们所了解。
So, is hangar a real thing and where does she say the word comes from?
所以,饿怒是真实的事物吗?还有她称那类词来自哪里?
According to Medlin it is a real thing.
据梅德琳称饿怒是真实的事物。
She says that science has recognised that hunger leads to irritability.
她说科学已经认定饥饿会导致易怒情绪。
Irritability is a noun, which means being easily annoyed, not in a good mood.
易怒是一个名词,指的是容易被惹恼,情绪不佳。
And she says that it was the wonderful world of social media that joined the two words together.
并且她说是社交媒体丰富的世界将这两个词合并在一起。
She used the verb - merge.
她用到“合并”这个动词。
Merge, meaning join together.
合并,指的是结合在一起。
I know social media is responsible for many things, but the word hangry actually appeared in the 1990s, so a little before the arrival of social media.
我知道社交媒体是造成一些事情的原因,但是“饿怒”这个词在20世纪90年代出现,所以说比社交媒体出现得早一点。
But it’s certainly true that social media has made it more prominent.
但是毋庸置疑,社交媒体让“饿怒”这个词更突出。
Me, right now, hashtag hangry!
我,现在,疯狂饥饿!
Let’s listen to that clip again.
让我们再听一遍那个片段。
We’ve long recognised that hunger leads to irritability in science.
在科学领域,我们在很长时间里认为饥饿会导致易怒情绪。
But the wonderful world of social media has merged the two words for us and now we know it as hanger.
但是社交媒体丰富的世界为我们将两个词合并在一起,现在形成“饿怒”这个单词被我们所了解。
So now we know that hanger is a real thing, let’s learn a bit more about it.
所以现在我们知道饿怒是一种真实的事物。让我们多了解一些关于它的内容。
Why does it happen?
为什么会产生这种情绪?
Why do we get angry when we are hungry?
为什么当我们饥饿时会愤怒?
Here’s Sophie Medlin again.
再听一下索菲•梅德林是怎么说的。
As the blood sugars drop, we increase our cortisol and adrenalin – so our kind of fight or flighthormones.
随着体内糖类减少,我们体内的皮质醇和肾上腺素增加——我们体内的一种“战逃反应”激素。
And those have an impact on our brain.
并且它们对我们大脑有所影响。
And the neuropeptides,the things that control our brain, the chemicals in our brain,
神经肽是我们大脑中控制大脑的化学成分,
the ones the trigger for hunger are the same ones that trigger for anger and also for rage and impulsive type behaviours.
触发饥饿的神经肽和触发愤怒还有盛怒以及冲动行为的神经肽相同。
So that’s why you get that sort of same response.
所以那就是为什么你会有同种反应。
So it’s all to do with blood sugar, isn’t it?
所以这一切都是和血糖有关,是吗?
Yep, it seems so.
是的,看起来是那样。
When we are hungry, the level of sugar in our blood is lower.
当我们愤怒的时候,我们血糖会降低。
And this causes an increase in particular hormones.
而这会导致一种特殊激素上升。
Hormones are the chemicals we make in our bodies that control certain biological and psychological functions.
激素是我们机体产生的控制特定生理及心理活动的化学成分。
The hormones released when we are hungry are the same as our fight or flight hormones.
我们饥饿时释放的激素和“战逃反应”激素相同。
They are the hormones that the body uses to prepare us to either fight or run away from a dangerous situation.
它们是机体用来决定我们在危险状况下是战还是逃的激素。
When these hormones are increased, it can cause anger and rage.
当这些激素上升时,它会引起人们的愤怒和盛怒。
Rage is another word for being very angry.
盛怒是描述非常愤怒的另一个词。
And when we are angry we can behave impulsively.
并且当我们愤怒时,我们会行为冲动。
Impulsive behaviour is when we do things without thinking, without considering the consequences.
冲动行为是指我们做事不经思考,不思后果。
So when we are hungry, the same emotions can run through us.
所以当我们饥饿时,我们会有相同的情绪。
We can be angry and make poor decisions.
我们会愤怒并且做出糟糕的决定。
And that is hanger.
那就是饿怒。
Which brings us nicely to our quiz question.
它很好地将我们带到了今天的测试问题。
What do we call words, like 'hanger', that are made by joining two different words together?
我们把这些像“饿怒”这样由两个不同单词组合在一起的单词叫什么?
Now you said you knew the answer Dan?
你说你知道答案的,丹。
I did!
我说过。
What was it?
是什么?
Portmanteau words.
合成词。
And you are absolutely correct.
你完全正确。
The answer is portmanteau words.
答案是合成词。
Congratulations if you knew that.
恭喜你早就知道答案。
I did.
我确实知道答案。
Alright then smarty pants. No need to boast!
好吧,自作聪明的人。不要吹嘘!
I can see that you're still a bit hangry, Neil.
我可以看出你仍有一点饿怒,尼尔。
Yes, I’m hungry and that is making me angry!
是的,我很饿,而且那让我愤怒。
But I think I can hold on to get through a review of the rest of today’s vocabulary.
但是我想我能撑得住回顾今天的词汇。
Well, we also had the noun - irritability, meaning getting annoyed very easily, just like…
好的,我们还学习了名词“易怒”,指的是非常容易被惹恼,就像……
Don’t, just don’t. Or I might just merge my fist with your face.
不,不要。否则我或许会让我的拳头和你的脸合在一起。
Ouch. Yes, merge meaning join different things together.
哎呦。是的,合并指的是将不同的事物组合在一起。
I can see your fight or flight hormones are kicking in.
我能看到你的“战逃反应”激素正在作用。
Those chemicals in the body that prepare us for aggression or escape.
那些机体内的化学成分决定我们是进攻还是逃跑。
I haven’t quite reached rage yet.
我还没达到盛怒的状态。
This was another of our words - rage, and it means a state of being very, very angry.
那是我们的另一个单词——盛怒,并且它指的是非常,非常愤怒。
Our last word was 'impulsive'.
我们最后一个单词是“冲动的”。
This is an adjective to describe when we do things without really thinking about them.
它是一个形容词,用来形容我们做事时未经真正思考。
We just do them without any control and without thinking about the consequences.
我们只是不受控,不思后果做事。
Now I’m off, I’m starving.
现在我解放了,我快饿死了。
I’ve got to eat before I do something impulsive.
我必须在我做出冲动的事情前吃饭。
That is it for this programme.
以上就是今天的节目。
For more, find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and our YouTube pages, and of course our website bbclearningenglish.com,
更多内容,请在我们的Facebook,Twitter,Instagram和YouTube主页上查找,当然还有我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com,
where you can find all kinds of other programmes and videos and activities to help you improve your English.
在那里你可以找到各种各样的其它节目和视频以及活动来帮助你提高英语。
Thank you for joining us and goodbye.
感谢你的参与,再见。
Byebye!
拜拜!