完美的圣诞老人
The perfect Santa
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English.
欢迎收听六分钟英语。
I'm Neil and joining me today is Dan who is looking very jolly.
我是尼尔,今天和我一起主持节目的是丹,他看起来很开心。
Of course I'm looking jolly – meaning happy and smiley;
我当然看上去开心了,jolly是指开心的,微笑的。
it's my favourite time of the year.
这是我一年当中最喜欢的日子了。
Ah yes, all that food, all those presents, all that fun.
没错,各种食物、礼物、有趣的事。
Forget the food and fun – Christmas is all about the presents!
忘了食物和有趣的事吧,圣诞就是和礼物有关。
I'm not sure that's quite the spirit – the real meaning of something.
我不确定这是不是圣诞的精神,spirit是指某事的真正意义。
Well, Neil, I was actually talking about giving presents, not getting them.
尼尔,我实际上指的是给予礼物,而不是得到礼物。
Ah sorry, Dan, I misjudged you.
对不起,丹,我错怪你了。
As you enjoy giving presents so much, I'm very pleased to have you with me in this 6 Minute English
你喜欢给予礼物,我也非常开心能和你一起主持六分钟英语。
– Our topic… What makes the perfect Santa?
我们今天的主题是,最完美的圣诞老人是什么样子?
We'll have 6 items of vocabulary for you and, of course, our quiz question. Are you ready?
我们还会学习六个单词。当然,还有我们的问题。你准备好了吗?
Hit me.
问我吧。
OK, here we go. How many Santas are there in the world?
好的,题目来了。世界上有多少圣诞老人。
Is it a) 1,500 b) 15,000 c) 15 million
a) 1,500 b) 15,000 c) 1500万
I know there are a lot but 15 million must be wrong;
我知道应该有很多,但1500万肯定不对。
1,500 seems too few, so I'll go for 15,000.
1500似乎又太少了,所以我选15000。
We'll see if you're right at the end of the programme.
节目最后我们再看看你回答得是否正确。
Dan, you seem like a strong candidate for a job as Santa.
丹,你看起来是圣诞老人的强有力候选人。
Ever considered it?
你考虑过这份工作吗?
I'd love to! A candidate is a person competing for a job.
我想呢!候选人是指竞选某个工作的人。
And what do you think is a key part of being Santa – or Father Christmas as we also call him in the UK?
你认为成为圣诞老人的关键是什么?在英国,我们将圣诞老人称为Father Christmas。
You've already said being jolly…
你之前说过了,要开心。
That's right. Let's listen to James Lovell, who runs a Santa school at his company Ministry of Fun in London.
没错。我们听听詹姆斯洛弗尔的看法,他在伦敦经营一家公司Ministry of Fun,旗下有一所圣诞老人学校。
What does he say is the key?
他认为什么才是关键呢?
A perfect ho ho ho! is a key part of being a Father Christmas.
嗬,嗬,嗬的笑声是成为一名圣诞老人的关键。
It's a ho ho ho!
嗬,嗬,嗬。
And it needs to just reinforce the fact that you are the jolliest person on the planet.
需要加强一个事实,即你是这个星球上最开心的人。
So I like to reach down into my tummy, tap it and with a big smile on my face go ho ho hoooo!
我会伸手拍拍我的肚子,然后脸上绽放大大的微笑,嗬,嗬,嗬。
The perfect ho ho ho!
完美的嗬,嗬,嗬笑声。
You need that to reinforce the fact you are the jolliest person in the world.
你需要它去强化一个事实:你就是世界上最开心的人。
To reinforce means to make something stronger. Ho ho ho!
强化是指让某物更强。嗬,嗬,嗬。
Wow, Dan! You're very convincing.
丹!你笑得真的很有说服力。
Are you sure you've never done this before?
你确定你之前从来没有做过圣诞老人吗?
I haven't but I want to. It feels good! Ho ho ho!
我没有,但是我想做。这感觉太棒了!嗬,嗬,嗬。
It could be the ideal career move for you, Dan.
那对你来说可能是个理想的职业方向,丹。
But I bet it's not all fun.
但我打赌,做圣诞老人也不总是有趣的。
Hmm, maybe not. I think there would be a lot of pressure to perform.
恩,也许不会。我认为扮演圣诞老人有很大的压力。
Pressure is the feeling of worry you can get when you are expected to deal with a difficult situation.
压力是指当你预计要处理一个困境时,你感到担心。
Yes, think of all the children you have to impress. Pressure indeed.
没错,想想你要给所有孩子们留下深刻的印象。真的很有压力。
Let's hear from James Lovell again, who runs a Santa school in London.
我们再听听在伦敦经营圣诞老人学校的詹姆斯的看法。
Portraying Father Christmas is not an easy job because when you're dressed as Father Christmas
塑造圣诞老人的形象不是一件简单的工作,因为当你装扮成圣诞老人时,
you have a huge responsibility to recreate the magic of the real Santa in every way.
你承担着巨大的责任,需要在各个方面再现真正的圣诞老人的魔力。
You need to look good, you need to have lots to say
你需要装扮得像,需要说很多话,
and you need to be incredibly jolly and you need to have magical eyes.
你需要非常地开心,你要有魔力的眼睛。
So it seems I was right: portraying Father Christmas is not an easy job.
所以看起来我是对的,塑造圣诞老人的形象不是简单的工作。
Portraying meaning playing the part of – like an actor does.
塑造是指扮演,就像演员一样。
He says there's a huge responsibility to recreate the magic of the real Santa.
他说这份工作肩负着巨大的责任,去再现真正的圣诞老人的魔力。
To recreate means to make something exist again.
再现是指使某物再次存在。
All those kids expecting that magical moment – and it's all down to you as Santa!
所有的孩子都期待魔法的瞬间,这都要取决于作为圣诞老人的你。
Hmm I'm beginning to have second thoughts about this career change…
关于改变职业的事,我还得再想想。
Could you handle the pressure?
你能够处理好这个压力吗?
I'm not sure I could! Portraying Father Christmas might be a challenge too far – despite my ho ho ho!
我不确定。塑造圣诞老人的形象也许太具挑战了,除了嗬,嗬,嗬。
Now it's time to find out the answer to our quiz question.
是时候揭晓我们今天问题的答案了。
I asked how many Santas there are in the world?
我的问题是,世界上有多少圣诞老人?
a) 1,500 b) 15,000 c) 15 million
a) 1,500 b) 15,000 c) 1500万
I said b) 15,000
我选的是15000。
And you were… wrong! I'm afraid it was a trick question – there is, of course, only one Santa!
你答错了!其实这是个有陷阱的问题。世界上当然只有一个圣诞老人!
Ahhh that's not fair!
这太不公平了!
Sorry! Shall we have a recap of the vocabulary?
抱歉!我们再重述一遍今天的单词吧?
Yes please – that would make me jolly again.
好的,这会让我再次开心起来的。
Jolly, meaning happy and smiley.
Jolly是指开心的,微笑的。
What makes you jolly, Dan?
什么会让你开心呢,丹?
Christmas of course!
当然是圣诞节了!
Now Neil, I have to say, cheating me out of that quiz question was really not in the spirit of 6 Minute English.
尼尔,我不得不说,在问题上欺骗我可不是六分钟英语的精神。
We are always nice to each other.
我们一直以来对彼此都很友善的。
Ah yes, you're probably right.
没错,你也许是对的。
Spirt here has the sense of something's real meaning.
精神在这里是指某物或某事真正的意义。
The spirit of 6 Minute English is friendly educational fun – not cheating your colleagues!
六分钟英语的精神是寓教于乐,不是欺骗你的同事。
Glad we've got that straight.
很开心我们说开了。
Our next word is candidate.
下一个单词是候选人。
Until you made me think about how hard it is to be a good Santa, I thought I'd be a strong candidate for the job.
在你让我思考成为一个优秀的圣诞老人有多难之前,我还一直认为我是这份工作强有力的候选人呢。
A candidate is a person competing for a job. Next we had reinforce.
候选人是指竞聘某项工作的人。下一个单词是加强。
Reinforce means to make something stronger.
加强是指让某物更强。
Repeating the vocabulary in 6 Minute English reinforces your ability to remember it!
重复六分钟英语的单词会加强你记忆单词的能力。
That's right – and it puts you under less pressure when you're speaking English if you have a good range of vocabulary.
没错,如果你有广泛的单词量,你在说英语时压力会小一点。
Pressure is the feeling of worry you can get when you are expected to deal with a difficult situation
压力是指当你预计要处理一个困境时,你感到很担心,
– like pretending to be Santa!
就像要假扮圣诞老人。
Yes there's a lot of pressure involved in portraying someone else.
没错,塑造某人的形象时压力很大。
Portraying, meaning playing the part of someone – like an actor does.
塑造,是指扮演某人,就像演员一样。
It can be very difficult to get it right.
要想准确地塑造非常困难。
Yep, it's a real skill to be able to recreate the look and character of another person.
没错,能够再现另一个人的外表和性格是一项真正的技能。
Recreate meaning to make something exist again.
再现是指让某物再次存在。
Well we'll try our best to recreate a positive learning experience for you all next time on 6 Minute English.
在下一期六分钟英语中,我们会尽全力再现积极的英语学习经验。
Until then don't forget to check out our YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages.
不要忘记访问我们的YouTube,Facebook,Twitter 和 Instagram。
And Happy New Year to all of our listeners! Goodbye!
所有的听众朋友们新年快乐!再见!