你喜欢喝什么样的茶?
How do you like your tea?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Alice...
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语。我是爱丽丝。
And I'm Neil… Um… Alice. What's this?
我是尼尔。爱丽丝,那是什么?
It's a cup of tea, Neil. Would you like some?
是一杯茶。你要来一杯吗?
Oh, I can't drink that!
不了,我不喝茶!
You didn’t let the tea brew for long enough.
你泡茶的时间还不够长!
And you forgot to add sugar.
而且你忘了加糖!
Well, make it yourself next time!
好吧,下次你自己沏吧。
And when you brew a cup of tea, by the way, you add boiling water to tea leaves or a teabag and allow the flavour to develop.
顺便说一下,如果你想泡杯茶,要用沸水冲泡茶叶或茶包,让茶的香味充分散发。
I'm sorry, Alice. I didn’t mean to be rude about your tea.
不好意思,爱丽丝。我无意冒犯你,评判你泡的茶。
But I do like it very strong and sweet.
但我喜欢很浓很甜的茶。
Tea is the subject of today's show.
茶就是今天节目的主题。
And Neil, I think you'd like the way they serve tea in India.
尼尔,我想你会喜欢印度沏茶的方式。
They drink chai – a strong black tea served with lots of milk, sugar and spices.
他们喝的印度奶茶是一种浓郁的黑茶,里面加了大量奶、糖和香料。
Mmm… that does sound good.
恩,这听上去不错。
I quite fancy a cup of chai now.
我现在很想喝一杯印度奶茶。
Did you know that it was the British who introduced tea to India?
你知道是英国把茶叶引入印度的吗?
No, I didn't, Alice. This is very interesting…
这我不知道。这挺有意思的。
I'm proud of our habit of having tea all the time and teabags are great!
我一直为我们饮茶的习惯而感到骄傲,茶包好棒!
A marvellous little invention!
这个小发明太棒了!
Yes, I agree. Well, that's my question for you today.
我也这么认为。这也是今天我要问你的问题。
Where was the teabag invented? Was it in …
茶包是哪个国家发明的?
a) China
a) 中国
b) the US
b) 美国
Or c) Britain
还是 c)英国?
Hmm. I buy a lot of teabags but I don't know their history.
我买了很多茶包,但是关于它的历史我并不了解。
So I'm going to guess c) Britain.
我猜是c)英国。
Well, we'll find out if you chose the right answer later on.
之后我们再看你选的是否正确。
Let's listen now to Professor Markman Ellis talking about the Chinese tea plant.
现在我们来听听Markman Ellis教授讲述中国的茶树。
He's a historian at Queen Mary, University of London.
他是伦敦大学玛丽皇后学院的历史学家。
Tea is a shrub that grows naturally in the mountainous areas of China and several thousand years ago,
茶属于灌木,生长于中国的山区,
no one knows how exactly, there… I mean… there are stories…
几千年前没有人确切知道茶叶的故事,
it became clear that if you consumed the leaves of this plant especially the younger leaves,
之后人们越来越清楚如果饮用这种植物的叶子,尤其是嫩叶,
then it had an interesting effect on you.
会对身体有益。
And that effect could be thought of as medicinal or it could be thought of as just kind of sanative
这也可以称为一种药效,简单说就是有益健康,
– making you feel a bit better than you used to feel.
使你比之前感觉更好。
Professor Markman Ellis tells us that people in Ancient China consumed – or ate – leaves from the tea plant
Markman Ellis教授告诉我们中国古代的人们就已经饮用茶树的茶叶,
and it had an interesting effect on them.
这还对他们的身体有益。
Professor Ellis says tea has a sanative effect – making you feel better – so I might try munching a few leaves later on.
Markman Ellis教授说茶叶有益健康,让你感觉更好,一会我要嚼几片茶叶试试。
Alright then. Apparently the Chinese started drinking tea because of its medicinal – or healing – qualities.
好吧。显然中国人饮茶是因为其药效。
And they've been drinking tea for thousands of years!
他们饮茶已经有几千年历史了。
Well we British may love a good cup of tea – but we haven’t been brewing it for nearly so long as the Chinese.
英国人喜欢喝好茶,但是我们饮茶的历史没有中国那么悠久。
But remember that tea actually grows in China, Alice.
但是要记住茶树实际上生长于中国。
We don't grow it in Britain.
英国并没有种植茶树。
Good point, Neil. Which brings me back to what we were talking about earlier.
没错。这也是我们之前谈论的。
In the 19th century the British started to grow tea in India in order to compete with Chinese tea production.
十九世纪英国开始在印度种植茶叶,为了跟中国茶叶相竞争。
When tea first arrived in Britain in the 17th century it was incredibly expensive and only the elite could afford to drink it.
当茶叶十七世纪第一次引入英国时,价格非常昂贵,只有社会名流才能负担得起。
Elite means a small group of people in society who have money and power.
社会名流是指社会中一小群有钱有势的人。
Well, the opposite is true today – everyone drinks tea!
但现在情况完全不一样了,每个人都喝得起茶!
And cheap teabags make really strong tea – just the way I like it!
便宜的茶包茶香浓郁,这种是我喜欢的!
Oh, it's not for me!
这不适合我。
I like tea with a delicate flavour – Lapsang Suchong is my favourite with its evocative fragrance.
我喜欢香气清淡的茶,正山小种红茶是我最喜欢的,带有令人回味的香气。
Not teabags, then?
不是茶包?
No, Neil. Lapsang is different from other types of tea
不是。正山小种和其他茶叶不同,
because the leaves are smoke-dried over pinewood fires giving the tea its distinctive smoky flavour.
其茶叶经松木火熏制,因此具有独特的烟熏味道。
You sound like a TV advert – I can just see the misty mountains and fields of tea…
你说得像是电视广播,我仿佛能看见烟雾蒙蒙的山脉和层层叠叠的茶田。
Can you tell us what evocative means?
你能告诉我令人回味是什么意思吗?
It means making you imagine something pleasant.
这是指能让你联想起愉快的事。
And for some people tea drinking is a spiritual experience.
对于一些人来说,喝茶是一种精神享受。
Let’s listen to BBC reporter Mike Williams learning about the Asian custom of the tea ceremony.
我们听听BBC记者Mike Williams讲述亚洲茶道礼仪。
Please enjoy a mouthful of green tea.
请品尝一口绿茶。
Thank you... That was a bit less than a mouthful.
谢谢。这还不够一口喝的。
It's a very very small amount, isn't it?
这量太少了。
It's about 20ml.
这大概20毫升。
It's the way to appreciate tea in very small quantities
品茶就是喝一点,
so you can concentrate and cultivate your mindfulness in drinking the tea.
这样你能集中精力品味茶,通过喝茶正念。
Mindfulness? What do you mean by mindfulness?
正念?这是什么意思?
Tea ceremony has some of its origin in Buddhism.
茶道和佛教有些渊源。
The Japanese tea ceremony for example has a lot of Zen Buddhism influence.
日本茶道深受禅宗佛教影响。
Mindfulness is the concentration and focus on the now
正念是指专心,关注现在,
– forget about the past, forget about the future, and enjoy this specific moment.
忘记过去,忘记未来,享受当下。
And that's what I call mindfulness.
这就是我说的正念。
So they don't use mugs in the tea ceremony.
茶道中不使用马克杯。
It's 20 millilitres or a mouthful of green tea.
杯子只盛20毫升或一口量的绿茶。
That's right. Drinking just a mouthful – or a small amount – helps you concentrate and cultivate mindfulness.
没错。喝茶只喝一口,或很少的量,可以帮助你集中注意力,培养正念。
As the speaker explains, mindfulness means living in the moment and forgetting about the past and future.
就如上面提到的,正念是指生活在当下,忘记过去和未来。
Well, forgive me for thinking about the past – but how about the answer to today’s quiz question?
原谅我一直记着过去,话说今天问题的答案是什么?
OK then. I asked: Where was the teabag invented?
这就来揭晓。我问你:茶包是哪个国家发明的?
Was it in… a) China?, b) the US? of c) Britain?
a) 中国b) 美国还是 c)英国?
And I said c) Britain. And I must be right.
我选的是c)英国。一定没错!
Well, I'm afraid you're wrong, Neil! It was b) the US.
你错了,尼尔!正确答案是b) 美国。
Teabags first appeared commercially in the first decade of the 20th century
包首次以商品形式出现是在20世纪10年代,
and were successfully marketed by Thomas Sullivan, a tea merchant from New York, who shipped his teabags around the world.
由Thomas Sullivan成功推向市场,他是一名来自纽约的茶商,通过海运向全世界销售他的茶包。
Really? Teabags are older than I thought!
真的吗?茶包的历史比我想象的悠久!
Now, can you tell us the words we heard today?
现在我们再回忆一遍听到的单词吧?
They are:
今天听到的单词有:
brew
冲泡
consumed
饮用
sanative
有益健康的
medicinal
有药效的
elite
社会名流
evocative
令人回味的
mouthful
一口
mindfulness
正念
Well, that's the end of today's 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
You can go and put the kettle on now for a nice brew.
你可以去烧一壶水泡一壶好茶。
Please join us again soon!
下次节目再见!
Bye.
再见!