极其普通,毫无新意
Bog-standard
Hello everyone.
大家好。
This is The English We Speak with me, Feifei...
这里是BBC《地道英语》,我是菲菲。
...and me, Rob.
我是罗伯。
Hey, Feifei, do you need me to order you a pizza?
嘿,菲菲,你要我给你点披萨吗?
Why would I want you to order me a pizza when we are presenting a programme?
为什么我要你在我们录节目的时候给我点一份比萨饼?
Go on! Just say 'pizza' and my new smartphone will instantly order one for you.
继续!只要说‘披萨’,我的新智能手机就会立即为你订购一个。
Oh, I see. I know you've got a new and very expensive smartphone, Rob,
哦,我明白了。我知道你有一部新的非常昂贵的智能手机,罗伯,
but I'm quite happy using my bog-standard dumbphone.
但我很高兴用我的“bog-standard”老年机。
'Bog-standard'!
“Bog-standard”!
You mean it's basic, ordinary and unexceptional?
你是说这是基本的,平凡的和普通的?
I do, Rob.
就是这个意思,罗伯。
It's a strange expression and nobody really knows its origins.
这是一个奇怪的表达方式,没有人真正知道它的起源。
Well, I think it's got something to do with the English slang for toilet - bog - which is where your 'old' phone should be!
好吧,我想这跟表示厕所的英语俚语“bog”有关,这是你的“旧”手机应该在的地方!
Thanks, Rob.
谢谢,罗伯。
Shall we hear some 'bog-standard' examples now?
我们现在可以听一些“普通”的例子了吗?
I've got a bog-standard computer,
我有一台普通的电脑,
but it's fine for just sending emails and surfing the internet.
不过,只要能发送电子邮件和上网就行了。
Sorry you got a low mark in your homework,
很抱歉你的家庭作业分数很低,
but to be honest, it was bog-standard.
但说实话这很平常。
I found the new film bog-standard - it lacked the action and special effects I was expecting.
我发现了这部新电影挺一般的,它缺乏我所期待的动作和特效。
This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English,
这是BBC《地道英语》节目,
and we're learning about the phrase 'bog-standard',
我们正在学习“bog-standard”这个词,
which describes things that are basic, ordinary and unexceptional.
它描述了一些基本的东西,普通又平常。
Yes, like your basic mobile phone.
是的,就像你的普通手机。
Oh, is that a message on your new, shiny, very expensive smartphone?
哦,是你的新的、闪亮的的、很贵的智能手机收到了一条信息吗?
Yes, yes, it is. It's my first bill for my new phone...
是的,是的,是的。这是我新手机收到的第一笔账单……
Let's have a look.
我们来看看。
What?! How much! Oh!
天呐?!多少钱!哦!
Oh dear, Rob.
天啊,罗伯。
It's not such a new, shiny phone now, is it?
现在,它也不是一个很新、亮闪闪的手机了,是不是?
Oh no, how are we going to order a pizza now?
哦,不,我们现在要怎么点比萨饼?
On my 'bog-standard' phone?
在我的“普通”手机上?
Here, just press the numbers and you can actually talk to someone.
在这里,只要按下号码,你就可以和别人说话了。
No, I'm not hungry now.
不,我现在不饿。
Bye!
再见!
Bye!
再见!