不要好高骛远
Don’t give up the day job
Hello, this is The English We Speak, with me Feifei…
大家好!这里是地道英语,我是菲菲...
[singing badly] And me Rob. Hello!
(唱得很难听) 我是罗伯。大家好!
Err Rob, what is that terrible noise?
额,罗伯,那难听的噪音是什么?
Noise? This is my best singing voice - I need it for my new job.
噪音?这是我最好听的歌声-我新工作需要这样的歌声。
You didn't tell me you were leaving the BBC and going to a new job.
你并没有告诉我你要离开BBC,去找新工作了啊。
I’m not - I’ve got a new part-time job in the evenings to earn a bit of extra cash [tries singing again].
没有-我只是找到一个晚上的新兼职去赚点儿外快(又尝试着唱歌)
Hmm - and this second job involves singing, does it?
额-这个兼职包括唱歌,是吗?
Yes, that’s right. I’m going to be a cabaret singer in a nightclub. Good news, isn’t it?
是的。我马上要在酒吧做名夜场歌手。是个好消息吧?
Well, Rob, don’t give up the day job!
好吧,罗伯,不要做白日梦了!
Oh - that’s an expression which means someone’s not very good at doing something and isn’t likely ever to be successful at doing it.
奥,这是个短语表达,意思是不要做自己不擅长的事情,很难成功的。
Yes - but it’s used in a humorous and light-hearted way Rob. Sorry, I was trying to be nice.
是的-但它是幽默和轻松的表达方式。不好意思,我本想和善。
OK. Well, I think we'd better hear some examples of this phrase in action
OK.我想我们最好看一些实用的例子,
while I continue to practice my singing [starts singing again].
我也继续练习下我的歌声(再一次开始唱歌)。
Oh,no.
奥,不要唱了!
I wouldn’t give up the day job - you’re never going to be an actor!
别做白日梦了-你不可能成为一名演员!
Do you really want to be a writer? I’ve read your first book and my advice is "don‘t give up the day job"!
你真的想成为一名作家吗?我读过你的第一本书,我的建议是:不要白日做梦了!
Don’t give up the day job Pete - you’re never going to earn a living as a singer!
皮特,不要白日做梦了-你不可能靠唱歌来养活你的!
So "don‘t give up the day job" means you should continue doing your normal job,
所以说, "don’t give up the day job"的意思是你应该继续你的本职工作,
rather than trying to turn your hobby into a career. So Rob, have you got the message?
而不是试图把你的业余爱好转为你的职业。所以,罗伯,你明白这个意思了吧?
Oh yes, I should stick to what I’m good at - so I’ll concentrate on doing the day job shall I?
恩,明白,我应该继续做我擅长的工作-所以我现在全神贯注做这个工作,好吗?
Yes, good idea.
好的,好主意。
OK, so why we don’t we sing together and entertain our listeners [starts singing]?!
OK,那我们可以一起唱歌啊,让我们的听众也开心一下(开始唱)?!
Oh Rob, perhaps you should give up the day job as well.
奥,罗伯,或许你应该把你擅长的工作也放弃。
Oh thanks.
哈哈,谢谢!
Bye!
拜拜!