竭尽全力
Pulling out the stops
It’s that time again for English at Work. Life in the offices of Tip Top Trading is still hectic.
又到了职场英语的时间。顶级贸易公司办公室里依旧很忙碌。
There’s so much to do and tomorrow the team is launching its new product – the plastic aubergine
那么多事情要做,明天还要推出新产品——塑料茄子!
so everyone needs to pull their weight and get things done – quickly.
所以大家都应承担起责任,快速完成任务。
The problem is, some people are a bit slow at being quick!
可问题是,有些人动作比较慢!
(Phone ringing) Could someone answer that please? I’m on the other line.
(电话铃响)谁接下电话呗?我正打电话呢。
Well I can’t, I’m already on the phone.
呃,我不能,我也在打电话。
Yeah, talking to your friend Marge. And I’m busy… errr… writing a business proposal.
没错,又和你朋友Marge。那个,我也忙着,写商业企划书呢。
(Door opens) Could someone just answer that phone… oh, you’re all busy.
(门开了)就不能接下电话吗?哦。。你们都很忙。
I suppose I’d better do it. (Answers phone) Hello? Yes? Really! I’m sorry about that.
好吧,还是我来接吧。(接起电话)你好,什么?真的?哦,我很抱歉。
We’ll send someone round right away. Yes, this morning. Bye.
我们会立即派人解决。是的,今天早上,再见。
(To Anna) Anna, are you free to talk in my office now?
(对Anna说)Anna,现在有空吗?来我办公室一下。
Yes Paul. (Door closes) What’s wrong?
好的,Paul。(关上门)发生什么事了?
Hold on – I just need a quick bite on a biscuit – that’s better. Now that was Nice'n’Cheesy.
等下,我得赶紧吃口饼干。恩,现在好多了。刚刚是美味奶酪店打的电话。
They’re not happy about how slowly we are processing their order.
他们嫌咱处理订单太慢,不高兴了。
They need our plastic grapes for an exhibition they’re doing at the weekend.
说周末展览要用我们的塑料葡萄。
But I thought Tom had sorted that out?
可Tom不是已经解决了吗?
Clearly not. I need you to pull out all the stops and sort this out.
显然没有啊。所以我要你竭尽全力,把这解决。
Pull out what stops?
摆脱什么障碍?
I mean do all you can to get this order completed. Please.
不,我的意思是,你要尽你所能,把这解决。拜托!
But we’ve got the aubergine launch tomorrow.
可我们明天有茄子发布会啊。
Leave that to me and Denise to organise. It’ll be in… err… safe hands.
交给我吧,再说,Denise也可以组织。我俩会处理好的。
Hmm, I’m not so sure about that. Anyway Anna, your priority now is the order for Nice'n’Cheesy.
呵,我可不相信。好了,Anna,不管怎样,你现在的首要任务是处理美味奶酪店的订单。
You’re going to have to tell the team “We have an order we need to process urgently”, and “We need to pull out all the stops
to get this sorted”.
你要告诉大家“我们有项订单急需处理”、“我们要竭尽全力,把这解决”。
You could also say “This is our number one priority” and then delegate tasks to the team to help you get the order sorted. Good luck!
你还可以说“这是我们的首要任务”,然后把工作分配给大家,让他们帮助你解决。祝你好运!
Oh thanks. Tom, I need your help. It’s that order for Nice'n’Cheesy, we need to process it urgently.
谢谢。Tom,我需要你帮忙。有关美味奶酪店的订单,咱俩得赶紧处理它。
The order? I sent that out ages ago, with the paperwork.
订单?我几年前就送出去了,还有文书。
You mean this paperwork Tom, on your desk?
Tom,你指桌子上的这张纸?
Oh no! I must have forgotten. I’ve had so much to do.
呃,不是吧!我忘了。哎,事情太多了。
Well, they’re not happy, so we’ve got to pull out all the stops and get them their grapes.
好吧。他们很不高兴,所以咱得竭尽全力,把葡萄送到。
OK but what about the aubergines?
可以,但塑料茄子怎么办?
Forget about the aubergines. We’ve got to get onto this now. It’s our number one priority.
先别管它了。我们现在得处理这事,这才是第一要务。
You go and get the plastic grapes from the warehouse, I’ll sort out this paperwork, and I’ll meet you downstairs in 15 minutes.
你去仓库拿塑料葡萄,我来解决文书问题。15分钟后楼下见。
Why, where are we going?
干嘛啊?咱要去哪?
We’re getting a taxi to the offices of Nice'n’Cheesy so we can hand deliver the grapes.
打出租车去美味奶酪店送葡萄。
Oh right, but isn’t it nearly lunchtime?
哦,对,可快到午饭时间了啊。
There’s no time for lunch Tom. We need to do this now!
Tom,没时间吃午饭了,我们得赶快解决这事!
Oh Anna, you’re amazing.
哦,Anna,你太让我惊讶了!
She certainly is! Anna has wasted no time in sorting out this problem and that’s important if you want to keep your business going.
当然!Anna不费丝毫时间来处理此问题。要想保持业务进行,这点是很重要的。
Here’s a reminder of some of the phrases Anna used:
好了,一起回顾下Anna用到的短语:
We’ve got to pull out all the stops.
我们要尽己所能。
We have an order we need to process urgently.
我们有项订单急需处理。
We need to pull out all the stops to get this sorted.
我们要竭尽全力,把这解决。
This is our number one priority.
这是我们的第一要务。
Tom and Anna have made it to the offices of Nice'n’Cheesy. Let’s find out how they’re getting on.
Tom和Anna已经到了美味奶酪店办公室。一起去看看进展如何吧。
…so we’re really sorry…
对不起,真的很抱歉。
Yeah, really sorry…
是啊,很抱歉。
…about the delay and it won’t happen again. And hope you’re pleased with the grapes…
关于送货延迟一事,我保证再也不会发生。希望您对我们的葡萄满意。
….and the price!
还有价格!
Yes, the price is very competitive and if you can guarantee a bit more 'customer care’, then I’m sure we’ll be buying from you again.
没错,当下价格竞争很激烈。假如你们能保证多点客户关怀,那我一定会再向你们订单。
Yes, of course. Thanks very much and sorry again. We hope to see you again soon. Bye
好,没问题。非常感谢你,真的很抱歉。希望马上再见面,拜拜~
Yeah, cheers.
没错。
Goodbye.
拜拜~
(Door closes. On the street) Phew, well done Anna. I think you saved the day once again.
(关上门,在街上)呼,做得好,Anna,你这次又挽救了大局。
Hey, hold on, isn’t that your boyfriend, Dave from IT, over there?
嘿,等下,那不是你男朋友Dave吗?
It is. But who’s he with?
是啊,他和谁在一起呢?
You mean, who’s he holding hands with? It’s Julie from accounts!
你是说,他握着谁的手?啊,是我的客户Julie!
No, it can’t be… It is! (Getting upset) What’s Dave doing with another woman?
不,不可能!(越来越不安)Dave和另一个女人在干嘛?
I dunno – but I never trusted him. Come on Anna, you need a drink – a big one.
不知道,但我从没相信过他。振作点,Anna,你需要一大杯饮料。
Oh dear. Poor Anna, it looks like Dave’s been cheating on her, but she needs to keep a clear head for the big launch of the plastic aubergine tomorrow.
哦,可怜的Anna,看起来Dave一直在骗她。但她要保持头脑清醒,毕竟明天还有塑料茄子发布会呢。
Will she be led by her head or her heart? Find out next time on English at Work. Bye!
Anna会听从大脑,还是会跟随内心?一起在下期节目中寻找答案吧,拜拜~