非常
Not half
Welcome to The English We Speak.
欢迎收听地道英语。
I’m Feifei.
我是菲菲。
And I’m Neil.
我是尼尔。
And today we’re teaching a British slang expression –
今天我们要教大家一个英国俚语表达,
or maybe just half an expression!
或者大概只是一半表达!
The phrase is not half.
这个短语就是“not half”。
Two simple words –
两个简单的单词,
but you need to know what they mean when used together.
但你要知道这两个单词一起用时是什么意思。
Let’s try it out first and see if you can work out what it means.
让我们先来试试看,看你是否能弄懂它是什么意思。
For example, Neil, you really enjoyed that pizza, didn’t you?
举个例子,尼尔,你真的很喜欢那个比萨,对吧?
Not half!
非常喜欢!
I love pizza.
我爱比萨。
And Feifei, you love playing darts, don’t you?
菲菲,你喜欢玩飞镖,是吧?
Darts, not half!
飞镖,非常喜欢!
I play every night.
我每晚都玩。
So – what does not half mean?
所以,“not half”是什么意思呢?
It means ‘very much’ in these answers.
在这些答案里,它的意思就是“非常”。
When I replied “not half” I meant: ‘Yes, very much.’
当我回答“not half”时,我的意思是:“是的,非常喜欢。”
I really like darts.
我十分喜欢玩飞镖。
And do you?
是吗?
What?
什么?
Like darts?
喜欢玩飞镖?
Erm, that’s not the point.
呃,那不是重点啦。
I’m trying to give an example.
我只是在试图举例子。
For the record, I do love pizza.
郑重声明,我确实爱吃比萨。
That party was awesome!
那个聚会太赞了!
Not half, mate.
是非常赞呀。
The music was incredible.
音乐太棒了。
Not half is a useful phrase, huh?
“not half”是一个非常有用的短语哈?
Not half.
非常有用。
Ahh, that was a funny example.
哈,这个例子真有趣。
Now, before we go –
现在,在我们走之前,
let’s teach a variation of this phrase.
让我们再来教大家这个短语的另一种使用方法吧。
In this version, we have not half followed by an adjective.
在这个版本中,我们可以在“非常”后面加形容词。
For example: I just got back from Singapore.
比如:我才从新加坡回来。
It’s not half expensive.
真的是非常贵。
So – that means it’s very expensive!
所以,这个的意思就是它非常贵!
Not half expensive.
“不是一点儿”贵。
Similarly, if I were to say:
同样,如果我说:
“Your new haircut’s not half nice, Neil!”
“你的新发型非常好看,尼尔!”
You would be saying my haircut is very nice.
你的意思是说我的发型很棒。
Was that just another example?
这仅仅是另外一个例子对吗?
Oh no, I meant it.
噢不,我真心这么觉得。
Too kind.
你太好了。
So there we are –
好了,
not half meaning ‘very much’.
“not half”的意思是“非常”。
And not half with an adjective.
“not half”还可以跟形容词。
See you next time.
下次节目再见。
Bye…
再见……