截然不同的事
A different kettle of fish
Hello, I'm Feifei and it's time again for The English We Speak and with me today is Rob…
大家好,我是菲菲,又到了地道英语的时间了,今天和我一起的是罗布……
Hello everyone!
大家好!
Rob, what is that awful smell of fish?
罗布,演播间里这股难闻的鱼味是怎么回事?
Ah, you mean these smoked kippers that I got here?
啊,你是说我带来的这些烟熏腌鱼吧?
Smoked kippers?
烟熏腌鱼?
Why have you got smoked kippers in the studio?
为什么你要把烟熏腌鱼带到演播室来?
To illustrate today's phrase.
为了解释清楚今天的短语。
And this long pan is a kettle.
这个长长的平底锅是一个煮鱼锅。
It's not the thing you boil water in.
这可不是你用来烧水的东西。
Oh right.
噢,好。
So what is the fish-related phrase then?
所以和鱼相关的短语是什么呢?
The phrase is a different kettle of fish –
这个短语就是“截然不同的事”,
we say it to mean a situation or subject that is being discussed is completely different from the one you are talking about.
这个短语的意思是一种情况或是正在被讨论的主题和你所谈论的完全不同。
A strange phrase indeed.
确实是个奇怪的短语。
So we could say writing English is a very different kettle of fish from speaking it?
所以我们可以说写英语和说英语是截然不同的吗?
Yes, we can –
对,可以,
it means it's a different thing -
它的意思就是不一样的东西,
let's hear some more examples…
让我们来听几个例子吧……
I loved the first film but the sequel was a different kettle of fish.
我喜欢第一部电影,可续集就截然不同了。
Heating a ready meal in the microwave is one thing
用微波炉加热快餐是一回事,
but preparing a freshly cooked meal is a different kettle of fish.
但准备一顿新鲜烹饪的饭菜则是一件截然不同的事了。
Camping on the beach would be amazing but camping in the rain would be a different kettle of fish!
在海滩上露营棒极了,但在雨里露营可就是截然不同的了。
So, when something is a different kettle of fish it means to be completely different from something or someone else that has been talked about.
所以,某样东西是截然不同的,意思就是说和我们谈论的另外某些事,某些人是完全不同的。
I've got it now Rob!
我现在懂了罗布!
Good.
好。
You can also say to be another kettle of fish.
你也可以用“完全不同”这个表达方式。
So then Feifei, how about coming round to my house and eating some of this fish?
菲菲,顺道来我家品尝一下这些鱼怎么样?
Rob, going to your house is one thing but trying your cooking is a different kettle of fish!
罗布,去你家是一回事,但是品尝你的厨艺可就是截然不同的另一回事了。
Don't you like fish?
你不喜欢吃鱼吗?
Fish is ok –
鱼还好,
it's your cooking that isn't.
只是不喜欢你做的鱼。
I shall eat alone then!
那我就自己吃了!
Come on fishy-wishys…
来啊小鱼们……
Bye-bye.
再见。
Bye.
再见。