厚颜无耻
Brass neck
Hello I'm Feifei and this is The English We Speak.
大家好,我是菲菲,欢迎收听地道英语。
Yes, it is.
欢迎收听。
And hello I'm Rob.
大家好,我是罗布。
I don't know about you Rob,
我不知道你怎么样啊罗布,
but I seem to have so much work to do at the moment.
但我目前似乎有许多工作要做。
Yeah, me too.
嗯,我也是。
We've got to meet that deadline by Friday.
到周五我们必须按期完成。
I guess we've all got lots to do –
我想我们都有很多事情要做,
and that's why I was surprised that Phyllis has asked to take three days off work this week.
这就是为什么我会对菲利斯这周请三天假这件事感到很惊讶。
Three days?
三天?
Are you sure?
你确定吗?
Maybe she's unwell?
也许她身体不舒服呢?
No, she's fine –
不,她很好。
I heard her say to the boss in a very loud voice
我听到她非常大声地跟老板说,
I've got a great deal on a flight to Italy so I need to take the rest of the week off.'
“我订了一趟飞往意大利的航班,所以这周剩下的日子我要休假。”
What cheek –
真是没皮没脸,
she's got a brass neck.
她有一个黄铜脖子。
A brass neck?
黄铜脖子?
Phyllis has a brass neck!
菲利斯有个黄铜脖子!
Really –
真的吗?
when did she get that –
什么时候有的?
maybe she needs a holiday to recover from the operation?
也许她做了手术,需要一个假期来痊愈?
No no no Feifei.
不不不菲菲。
Her neck isn't actually made of brass –
她的脖子并不是由黄铜制成的,
I just mean she is confident but also a bit rude –
我是想说她太自信了,但有一点粗鲁无礼,
she can do or say things that most of us would be too embarrassed to do or say.
她能够做或者是说一些我们因为尴尬而不会去做或者说的事情。
Yes, she just doesn't care what she says does she?
是的,她不在乎她说了什么,对吧?
So if someone is described as having a brass neck,
所以如果我们说有人厚脸皮,
it means they are confident and say or do what they want
意思就是说他们很自信,会说他们想说的话,做他们想做的事,
but doesn't understand their behaviour might be unacceptable to others.
但并不知道他们的行为对于其他人来说可能是不能接受的。
Yes, she certainly doesn't worry about what other people think of her. A bit like people in these examples…
对,她当然不在乎别人怎么看她。
A bit like people in these examples…
有点像这些例子里的人……
My ex-boyfriend's got a brass neck,
我的前男友真是厚脸皮,
coming round and asking me to do his washing!
过来让我帮他洗衣服!
The customer has a brass neck asking for a refund when it was obvious he had already worn the shoes.
这个顾客真是厚脸皮,他显然已经穿过这双鞋了,却还来要求退款。
She's got a brass neck telling the boss that he wasn't very good at his job –
她太厚脸皮了,告诉老板他并不很擅长自己的工作,
I would never say that!
我永远不会那么说!
So having a brass neck means you are extremely confident about your own actions
所以厚脸皮就是说你对自己的行为极其自信,
but you don't understand that your behaviour might be unacceptable to others.
但你并不知道自己的行为对别人来说可能是不可接受的。
So it's not like us Rob?
所以这并不像是我们的作风,对吧罗布?
Absolutely not.
当然不像。
Although, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind writing the notes for the presentation we're doing?
虽然,我想知道你是否不介意为我们正在做的节目做笔记?
I've got to meet someone for lunch.
我得去和人一起吃午饭了。
Ermm….
呃……
Come on Feifei, you love writing presentations….
来吧菲菲,你很喜欢写演示文稿的嘛……
Oh why are you looking so brassed off?
噢,为什么你看上去那么厌烦呢?
Brassed off –
厌烦,
you mean I'm looking annoyed and disappointed –
你是说我看上去很恼怒很沮丧,
maybe I'm looking brassed off because of your brass neck.
也许我之所以看上去很厌烦是因为你很厚颜无耻。
I'll take that as 'no' then.
我就当你这是回答“不行”了。
Oh well, at least you understand this English expression now!
噢好吧,至少现在你理解这个英语表达了!
Bye!
再见!