财源滚滚
Rolling in it
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak with me Neil...
大家好,欢迎收听地道英语,我是尼尔…
...and me, Feifei.
我是菲菲。
In this programme, we've got an expression which means 'to be very rich'.
在这期节目里,我们要学一个表达方式,意思是“非常有钱”。
And, as usual, in order to demonstrate the meaning of something,
像往常一样,为了解释短语的意思,
I'm going to make a fool of myself.
我会让自己出丑。
Now, Feifei, please describe what I'm doing.
菲菲,请描述一下我现在在做什么。
OK, so now Neil is rolling around on the floor covered in... money.
好的,现在尼尔正在铺着…钱的地板上滚来滚去。
So, Feifei, how much money does someone need to roll in it?
那么菲菲,要想在里面滚来滚去的话,一个人需要多少钱呢?
Lots!
许多!
And so we have an expression in English - 'to be rolling in it'.
所以英文中就有了一个表达方式——“财源滚滚”。
It means to be extremely rich.
就是极其有钱的意思。
That's right.
对。
Imagine a person has so much money they can literally roll around in it
想象一下,一个人有很多钱,他们简直可以在里面滚来滚去,
and you can understand this expression.
这样你就能理解这个表达方式的意思了。
Now get up Neil.
现在起来吧尼尔。
OK.
好的。
Let's hear some examples.
让我们听几个例子吧。
Carlos is always moaning about lack of money but his parents are rolling in it,
卡洛斯总是抱怨缺钱,但是他的父母非常富有,
so he should just ask them for some.
所以他应该直接问他们要一些钱。
Since tuition fees have been introduced,
自从学费被引入之后,
you need to be rolling in it to afford university.
你要很有钱才能上得起大学。
My neighbours must be rolling in it -
我邻居一定很有钱,
they're having a swimming pool and tennis court built in their garden.
他们正在花园里修建游泳池和网球场。
So, there we are -
好了,
we say someone is 'rolling in it' if they're very rich.
如果某人特别有钱的话我们就说他“财源滚滚”。
I'd love to be rolling in it.
我非常乐意很有钱啊。
OK then -
好的,那么,
come and join me!
过来加入我吧!
No, I mean that I'd like to be rich -
不,我是说我想要很有钱,
but that does look quite fun actually...
不过滚来滚去看上去确实很有趣呀…
woah!
哇哦!