半斤八两
Six of one, half a dozen of the other
Hello, I’m Finn.
大家好,我是芬恩。
Hi, I’m Feifei.
嗨,我是菲菲。
Sorry I’m late -
非常抱歉我迟到了,
Peter and Dave are having an argument in the kitchen.
彼得和戴夫正在厨房里争吵,
I was trying to calm them down.
我试着让他们两个平静下来。
Oh, really?
噢,真的吗?
What are they arguing about?
他们在争论什么呢?
Something about who spilled the milk -
争论到底是谁把牛奶弄撒了,
it was getting very heated.
他们争吵得越来越激烈。
Oh, no.
噢,不是吧。
Who started the argument?
是谁开的头呢?
Hmm, I don’t really know,
嗯,其实我并不知道,
I think it’s six of one, half a dozen of the other.
我想他们俩半斤八两吧。
Good expression, Feifei.
很好的表达方式,菲菲。
Thank you, Finn.
谢谢你,芬恩。
I learnt this phrase just the other day.
这个习语是我前几天才学会的。
I think I can use it in this situation, can’t I?
我觉得这个习语可以用在这个情境中,对吧?
Yes, indeed you can.
对,当然可以。
We normally use ‘six of one, half a dozen of the other’
通常我们用“半斤八两”的时候,
when we think there is very little difference between two choices.
我们认为两种选择之间差别很小。
We also use it when two people are equally responsible for something.
两个人对某件事情负同样责任的时候,我们也可以用这个习语。
Now, let’s hear some examples.
现在,让我们来听几个例子吧。
I don’t know whether to give my mum flowers or chocolates for Mother’s Day.
我不知道母亲节该送我妈妈鲜花还是巧克力。
It’s six of one, half a dozen of the other.
半斤八两,都差不多。
Do you think we should take the third ring road instead of the second ring road?
你觉得我们应该走三环而不是二环吗?
Oh, I don’t know,
噢,我不知道,
it’s six of one, half a dozen of the other.
半斤八两,差不多吧。
They keep blaming each other -
他们一直在互相责备,
whose fault was it really?
究竟是谁的错呢?
Oh, it was six of one, half a dozen of the other.
噢,半斤八两吧。
So remember you can use ‘six of one, half a dozen of the other’
所以记得,在这种情况下你可以使用“半斤八两”这个表达方式:
when two choices are very similar
两个选项十分相似,
and it doesn’t really matter which one you choose.
并且不管你选哪个其实都无所谓的时候。
Yes, that’s right.
对,是这样的。
Ah, sorry Feifei, wait a sec, I need to go now.
啊,对不起菲菲,稍等一下,我现在要走了。
Where are you going?
你要去哪儿?
I’m going to dinner with Sophia.
我要和索菲娅共进晚餐。
Quick, help me decide –
快,帮我决定下——
should I wear this blue shirt?
我是不是应该穿这件蓝色的衬衫?
Or this pink one?
还是这件粉色的呢?
You know what I am about to say, don’t you?
你知道我要说什么,对吧?
The pink one?
粉色这件?
No, they are very similar.
不,这两件很相似。
It’s six of one, half a dozen of the other…
半斤八两,差不多啦…
Oh, you’re not helping!
噢,你并没有在帮忙!
I’m off, bye.
我走啦,再见。
Wait…
等一下…