战胜久坐的生活方式
Beating a sedentary lifestyle
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Catherine.
大家好,欢迎来到六分钟英语。我是凯瑟琳。
And I'm Dan.
我是丹。
Now Dan, would you say you had a sedentary lifestyle at all?
丹,你会说自己完全有久坐的生活方式吗?
If I only went to work, yes, I would have a pretty sedentary life.
如果我只是去工作的话,是的,我会有一个相当久坐的生活。
I sit on the tube, I sit at my desk or in the studio for most of the day.
一天中大部分时间里,我坐在地铁里,坐在桌前,或者是在演播室里。
But because I know that's not good for my health, I do also like to go to the gym a couple of times a week.
但是因为我知道那对我的健康不利,我确实也喜欢一周去几次健身房。
And I'll do some exercise, like a bike ride or playing football at the weekend.
而且我会做一些锻炼,像在周末骑单车和踢足球。
So, my job is pretty sedentary, but not my life.
所以,我的工作相当久坐性质,但是我的生活不是。
Nice answer, Dan.
不错的回答,丹。
And our topic today is about how one country in particular has been very successful in dealing with the problem of a sedentary population.
而且我们今天的主题是关于一个国家是如何相当成功解决久坐人群的问题的。
But before we find out more, here is today's question.
但是在我们找到更多内容前,先是今天的问题。
According to a recent survey, how long does the average person in the UK spend sitting down every day?
根据最近一项调查,在英国正常人每天有多长时间坐着?
Is it: a) between 6 and 7 hours, b) between 7 and 8 hours or c) between 8 and 9 hours?
是a)6小时到7小时之间, b)7小时到8小时之间 还是c)8小时到9小时之间?
So, Dan, what do you think?
所以,丹,你觉得呢?
Based on my day, it would be between 8 and 9 hours.
根据我的一天来看,它会是8小时到9小时之间。
But I don't know if I am an average person!
但是我不知道我是否是正常的。
So I'm interested to learn the answer for myself.
所以我有兴趣亲自找到答案。
We'll find out the answer later in the programme.
我们稍后将在节目中揭晓答案。
Now, 40 years ago Finland was perhaps the unhealthiest country in the Western world.
40年前芬兰或许是西方世界最不健康的国家。
But now, it's one of the healthiest.
但是现在,它是最健康的国家之一。
Death by heart disease in Finland has fallen by 80%.
心脏病造成的死亡已经下降了80%。
And life expectancy, the age at which the average person lives until, has risen by 10 years.
而且预期寿命,正常人能活到的年龄已经增加了10岁。
How has this been achieved?
这是如何实现的?
This was investigated on BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme.
BBC节目4频道You and Yours对此进行调查。
And one of the ways Finland has improved the health of the nation is by a lot of state involvement.
而且芬兰提高自己国家健康水平的方式之一是大量的国家干预。
BBC reporter John Laurenson describes in a humorous way how this works.
BBC记者约翰•劳伦森以一种幽默的方式描述这是如何起作用的。
How does he describe someone with many health problems?
他是怎样形容有一些健康问题的人?
If you're an exercise shirker because you're fat or old or asthmatic or chained to your computer or just plain lazy or all of those things rolled into one super-health disaster zone,
如果你是锻炼偷懒者,由于自身肥胖或者年纪大,有哮喘或者被电脑束缚住,或者仅仅就是单纯地懒惰,又或者是那些都包含在内的“超健康重灾区”,
they will come to you in the form perhaps, of a stern lady with a clipboard and make some firm suggestions.
他们会来到你身边,形式或许是——一个严厉的女性,带着带夹书写板,给出一些严格的建议。
They won't actually drag you off your PlayStation, out of your nursing home or out of the pub, but they do get quite close.
他们并不会把你拽离游戏站,疗养院或者酒吧,但是他们做的也确实差不多。
How did he describe someone with a lot of health problems, Dan?
他是怎样描述有许多健康问题的人,丹?
Well, he wasn't very complimentary, and we should emphasise that this report is quite tongue-in-cheek,
好吧,他对此并不是赞不绝口,而且我们应该强调一下,这个报道十分戏谑性质,
which means that it's meant to be funny and shouldn't be taken seriously.
那指的是它注定是好笑的,不应该太认真。
But he called the people with many health problems 'super-health disaster zones'.
但是他称有诸多健康问题的人为“超健康重灾区”。
Super-health disaster zones'.
“超健康重灾区”。
So what other vocabulary can we pick from what he said?
所以我们能从他说的话里学到什么其它词汇?
He talked about being an exercise shirker.
他说到了锻炼偷懒者。
A shirker is someone who avoids doing something, usually because they are being lazy.
偷懒者是逃避做某事的人,通常是因为他们懒惰。
It's also a verb, to shirk.
它同样是一个动词,偷懒。
Laurenson says that if you are an exercise shirker or indeed a super-health disaster zone, someone from the authorities will come and visit you.
劳伦森说如果你是锻炼偷懒者或者真的是“超健康重灾区”,来自政府部门的某个人将会来拜访你。
In another tongue-in-cheek description he says that this visitor might be a stern lady with a clipboard.
劳伦森以一种戏谑的方式说这个拜访者或许会是一个拿着带夹书写板的严厉女性。
Stern is an adjective which means very serious and strict, someone without a sense of humour, who might be quite angry.
“严厉的”是一个形容词,指的是非常严肃和严格,没有幽默感的人,或许相当愤怒的人。
And in his description the reporter says that this stern lady will have a clipboard.
而且在记者的描述中,他说这个严厉的女性会有一个带夹书写板。
It's a hard board you can attach papers to, so you can write on the paper while you are moving around.
它是一个硬板,你可以把纸夹在上面,所以在你走动的时候你可以在纸上写字。
So we have this image of an angry lady arriving at your house to tell you off for your health habits and make you live a healthier life.
所以我们有这个画面,一个愤怒的女士来到你的家中斥责你的健康习惯,让你活得更加健康。
But he does point out that they won't actually drag you out of your house to do exercise.
但是他确实指出,他们不会真的把你从家里拖出来锻炼。
However, in the report he goes on to say that there is lot of encouragement, even from school age, to eat well and take regular exercise.
然而,在报道中他继续谈到那会有许多激励政策,甚至从学龄期开始,让你吃得好,定期锻炼。
Well, before a stern lady with a clipboard comes and tells us off for not finishing on time, let's get the answer to today's quiz.
好的,在拿着带夹书写板的严厉女性到来并告诉我们没有准时完成节目之前,让我们揭晓今天测试的答案。
According to a recent survey, how long does the average person in the UK spend sitting down every day?
根据最近一项调查,在英国正常人每天有多长时间坐着?
Is it: a) between 6 and 7 hours, b) between 7 and 8 hours or c) between 8 and 9 hours?
是a)6小时到7小时之间,b)7小时到8小时之间 还是c)8小时到9小时之间?
And I said I had no idea.
我说我不清楚。
Well, the answer was c), Dan, between 8 and 9 hours.
好的,答案是选项c,丹,在8小时和9小时之间。
In fact, it was 8 and a quarter hours.
事实上是8小时15分钟。
By comparison, in Finland, it's less than 6 hours.
作为比较,在芬兰不到六个小时。
I guess we are a lot more sedentary in Britain.
我猜在英国我们更多地久坐。
And sedentary is our first word in our vocabulary review.
而且“久坐的”是我们词汇回顾的第一个单词。
It's an adjective used to describe a lifestyle which involves a lot of sitting and not much exercise.
它是一个形容词,用来描述一种大量坐着,没有太多锻炼的生活方式。
And if you are very sedentary, it can lead to a lower life expectancy.
而且如果你非常久坐的话,它会导致较低的预期寿命。
Life expectancy - the age to which you are expected to live.
预期寿命――你预期活到的年纪
。
Next we had the word shirker for someone who avoids doing something they don't like, usually because they are lazy.
接下来我们学了“偷懒者”这个单词,是指逃避做自己不喜欢的事情的人,通常是因为他们懒惰。
For example, an exercise shirker avoids exercise.
例如锻炼偷懒者逃避锻炼。
Something that is said tongue-in-cheek is meant to be humorous and not taken seriously.
某事以戏谑的方式说出就是幽默的,不要太认真。
If you are stern though, you want to be taken seriously.
不过如果你是严厉的,那你就是想要认真对待。
It's an adjective that means serious and strict.
它是一个形容词,指的是严肃并且严格。
And finally there's clipboard.
最后是“带夹书写板”。
A board you attach papers to, so you write on them as you walk around.
一个你可以夹着纸的板子,所以当你走动的时候你可以在上面写字。
Well, Dan, it's time for us to go and get some exercise.
好的,丹,到了我们离开并做些锻炼的时候了。
Join us again next time and remember you can find us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and of course our website bbclearningenglish.com.
下次再加入我们,而且记得你可以在Instagram,Facebook,Twitter,YouTube,当然还有我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com上找到我们。
See you soon, bye.
下次见,拜。
Bye!
拜!