手机上瘾
Smartphone addiction
Hello, welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Rob.
大家好,欢迎来到六分钟英语。我是罗伯。
And I'm Catherine.
我是凯瑟琳。
So, Catherine, how long do you spend on your smartphone?
所以,凯瑟琳,你花费多长时间在手机上?
My smartphone? Not that long really, only about 18 or 19 hours.
我的手机?没有很长时间,大约只有18或者19个小时。
No, sorry, I meant in a day, not in a week.
不,抱歉,我指的是一天中,不是一周里。
Er, that's what I meant too, Rob, a day.
额,我指的也是那个,罗伯,一天中。
Oh, wow, so you’ve even got it right here…
噢,哇,所以你甚至刚刚还在用……
Yep, got it now, Rob.
是的,刚刚还在用,罗伯。
Yes, I should tell you that I suffer from FOMO.
是的,我应该告诉你的,我有社交控。
FOMO?
社交控?
FOMO - Fear of Missing Out.
社交控——害怕错过。
Something cool or interesting might be happening somewhere, Rob.
某个地方或许有超酷的或者有趣的事情发生,罗伯。
And I want to be sure I catch it.
我想确保我能有所了解。
So I have to keep checking my phone to make sure, you know, I don’t miss out on anything.
所以我不得不一直查看我的手机来确保,你知道的,没有遗漏任何事情。
So we could call you a phubber…
所以或许我们可以称呼你为低头族……
Hello… I said, so you’re a phubber?
喂……我说,所以你是一个低头族?
Someone who ignores other people, because you’d rather look at your phone.
那些忽视他人的人,因为你更愿意看自己的手机。
Oh, yeah, yeah, that's right.
噢,是的,是的,是那样的。
It sounds like you have a bit of a problem there, Catherine.
听起来你有一点儿问题啊,凯瑟琳。
But you’re not the only one.
但是你不是唯一一个。
According to one recent survey, half of teenagers in the USA feel like they are addicted to their mobile phones.
根据最近的调查,美国一半的年轻人感觉他们对手机上瘾。
If you are addicted to something, you have a physical or mental need to keep on doing it.
如果你对某事物上瘾,那么你会有一种持续做某事的生理或者心理需求。
You can’t stop doing it.
你没办法停下来。
You often hear about people being addicted to drugs or alcohol.
你经常听说人们毒品上瘾或者酒精上瘾。
But you can be addicted to other things too, like mobile phones.
但是你也可以对其它事物上瘾,像手机。
So, Catherine, do you think you’re addicted to your phone?
所以,凯瑟琳,你认为自己对手机上瘾吗?
How long could you go without it?
没有手机你可以待多久?
Catherine? Catherine!
凯瑟琳?凯瑟琳!
Sorry, sorry, Rob,
抱歉,抱歉,罗伯。
Yes, well, I think if I went more than a minute, I'd probably get sort of sweaty palms and I think I'd start feeling a bit panicky.
是的,我觉得如果超过一分钟没有手机,我或许会掌心出汗,而且我觉得我会开始感到紧张不安。
Oh, dear! Well, if I can distract you for a few minutes, can we look at this topic in more detail? Please!
噢,亲爱的。好吧,如果我能转移你注意力几分钟的话,我们能看一下这个主题更多内容吗?拜托了!
Let's start with a quiz question first though.
让我们先从测试问题开始。
In what year did the term ‘smartphone’ first appear in print?
在哪一年“智能机”这个词首次以书面方式出现?
Was it: a) 1995 b) 2000 or c) 2005 ?
是a)1995年 b) 2000年,或者是c) 2005年?
What do you think?
你认为是什么?
OK, you've got my full attention now, Rob,
好的,现在你已经吸引我全部注意力了,罗伯。
And I think it’s 2000.
而且我认为是2000年。
But actually can I just have a quick look on my phone to check the answer?
但是实际上,我可以快速看那一下我的手机查找答案吗?
No, no, no, that would be cheating – for you – maybe not for the listeners.
不,不,不,那是作弊——对你来说——或许对听众来说不是。
Spoilsport.
扫兴。
Right, Jean Twenge is a psychologist who has written about the damage she feels smartphones are doing to society.
好吧,珍·特文格是一位心理学家,她写过关于她认为智能机对社会造成的危害的文章。
She has written that smartphones have probably led to an increase in mental health problems for teenagers.
她称智能机或许会导致年轻人心理健康问题增加。
We’re going to hear from her now, speaking to the BBC.
我们接下来要听一下她和BBC谈到的内容。
What does she say is one of the dangers of using our phones?
她说使用手机的危害之一是什么?
I think everybody’s had that experience of reading their news feed too much.
我觉得大家都有过读了太多推送消息的经历。
Compulsively checking your phone if you’re waiting for a text.
如果你在等一条消息时,你会禁不住查看自己的手机。
Or getting really into social media then kind of, looking up and realising that an hour has passed.
或者是沉浸社交媒体的话,一抬头发现一个小时已经过去了。
So what danger does she mention?
所以她提到了什么危害?
Well, she said that we can get so involved in our phones that we don’t notice the time passing.
好吧,她说我们会如此沉迷于手机以至于我们没有注意到时间的流逝。
And when we finally look up, we realise that maybe an hour has gone.
等我们最后抬头时意识到或许一个小时已经过去了。
And I must say, I find that to be true for me, especially when I'm watching videos online.
我不得不说,我发现那很符合我,特别是当我看网上视频的时候。
They pull you in with more and more videos and I’ve spent ages just getting lost in video after video.
它们用越来越多的视频让你陷进去,而且我沉迷于一个接着一个的视频,花费了很长时间。
Well, that's not a problem if you're looking at our YouTube site.
好吧,如果你在我们的YouTube网站上浏览的话那不是问题。
Of course, there's lots to see there.
当然的,那里有许多东西可看。
Yes, BBC Learning English, no problem. You can watch as many as you like.
是的,BBC英语学习,没问题。你想看多少看多少。
Well, she talks about checking our phones compulsively.
好的,她谈到了禁不住查看手机。
If you do something compulsively, you can’t really control it.
如果你禁不住做某事,就是说你真的没办法控制住自己。
It’s a feature of being addicted to something,.
那是对某事上瘾的一个特征。
You feel you have to do it again and again.
你感觉自己不得不一次次做某事。
Some tech companies, though, are now looking at building in timers to apps, which will warn us when we have spent too long on them.
然而一些科技公司现在正想办法在手机应用上添加定时器,当我们花费太长时间在手机应用上时,它会发出警告。
Does Jean Twenge think this will be a good idea?
珍·特文格认为这会是一个好主意吗?
It might mean that people look at social media less frequently
那或许意味着人们不那么频繁地看社交媒体。
And that they do what it really should be used for, which is to keep in touch with people.
而且他们做的是手机真正应该做的事情,和人们保持联系。
But then put it away and go see some of those people in person or give them a phone call.
但是把手机收起来当面见见那些人或者给他们打电话。
So, does she think it’s a good idea?
所以,她认为那是一个好主意吗?
Well, she doesn’t say so directly.
好吧,她没有说得那么直接。
But we can guess from her answer that she does.
但是我们可以从她的回答猜出她认为那是个好主意。
Because she says these timers will make people spend more time in face-to-face interaction, which a lot of people think would be a good thing.
因为她说这些计时器将会使人们花费更多的时间在面对面的联系上,许多人认为那是一件好事。
Yes, she said we should be using it for keeping in touch with people, which means contacting people, communicating with them and also encouraging us to do that communication in person.
是的,她说我们应该用手机和他人保持联系,那指的是联系他人,和他们沟通交流,并且鼓励大家当面沟通交流。
If you do something in person then you physically do it.
如果你亲自做某事,那就是指你身体力行做这件事。
You go somewhere yourself or see someone yourself, you don’t do it online or through your smartphone, which nicely brings us back to our quiz question.
你自己去某地或者是你亲自见某人,你没有在网上见面或者是通过你的智能机见面,这很好地将我们带回了我们的测试问题。
When was the term 'smartphone' first used in print?
“智能机”这个词什么首次以书面形式出现是什么时候?
1995, 2000 or 2005?
1995年,2000年或者说是2005年?
What did you say, Catherine?
你说是什么,凯瑟琳?
I think I said 2005, without looking it up on my phone, Rob!
我觉得我说的是2005年,没有在我的手机上查找答案,罗伯!
That's good to know, but maybe looking at your phone would have helped because the answer was 1995.
很高兴知道你没有查找,但是或许在你的手机上查找会有所帮助,因为答案是1995年。
But well done to anybody who did know that.
但是那些确实知道答案的做得不错。
Or well done to anyone who looked it up on their phone and got the right answer.
或者说那些在手机上进行查找,找到正确答案的人做得也不错。
Right, before logging off let’s review today’s vocabulary.
好吧,在离开之前让我们回顾一下今天的单词。
OK, we had 'FOMO', an acronym that means 'Fear of Missing Out'. Something that I get quite a lot.
好的,我们学到了“社交控”,一个缩略词,指的是“害怕错过”。我身上有很多的某个事物。
And that makes you also a phubber - people who ignore the real people around them because they are concentrating on their phones.
而且那让你同样也是一个低头族——忽视他们周围真实的人,因为他们专注于自己的手机。
Yes, I do think I’m probably addicted to my phone.
是的,我确实觉得我或许手机上瘾了。
I have a psychological and physical need to have it.
我有对手机的生理需求和心理需求。
My smartphone is my drug.
我的手机就是我的良药。
Wow, and you look at it compulsively.
哇,而且你禁不住看手机。
You can’t stop looking at it, you do it again and again, don't you?
你没办法停止看手机,你一次次看手机,不是吗?
It's sadly true, Rob.
很难过那是真的,罗伯。
To keep in touch with someone is to contact them and share your news regularly.
和某人保持联系就是联系他人并且定期分享自己的消息。
And if you do that yourself by actually meeting them, then you are doing it in person.
而且如果你实际上自己见他们就是你亲自做那件事。
And that brings us to the end of today’s programme.
而且那将我们带到了节目的最后。
Don’t forget you can find us on the usual social media platforms – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube and on our website at bbclearningenglish.com.
不要忘记你可以在常见的社交媒体平台——Facebook,Twitter,Instagram和YouTube上找到我们,还有我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com。
Bye for now.
再见了。
Bye!
拜!