男士流感存在吗?
Is man flu real?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English.
欢迎收听六分钟英语。
I'm Dan, and joining me today is Neil. Hi Neil.
我是丹,今天和我一起主持节目的是尼尔。你好,尼尔。
Hi, everyone!
大家好!
Bless you! Are you ok?
祝福你!你还好吗?
I think I’m coming down with something serious.
我觉得我得了很严重的病。
It’s just a case of the sniffles.
你只是有点感冒流鼻涕。
The sniffles is an informal way of saying a cold or flu.
sniffles是感冒或流感的非正式表达。
It comes from the sniffing sound people make when they have a runny nose.
这来自于人们流鼻涕时擤鼻涕的声音。
And a runny nose is when liquid mucus keeps leaking from our nose – usually when we are sick.
流鼻涕是指鼻水从鼻子中流出,通常在我们生病的时候。
I’m afraid you’ll just have to soldier on Neil.
恐怕你只能坚持下去。
To soldier on means to continue despite difficulty.
这是指即便有困难也要坚持下去。
I’m dying! What’s it about anyway?
我要死了!这到底怎么回事?
It’s about man flu, and whether it’s actually real, or just something men like to complain about.
这是男士感冒,不知道这是真的,还是男性喜欢抱怨感冒了。
We'll give you 6 words and expressions – and, of course, our quiz question.
我们还会给出六个单词和相关表达,当然,还有我们的问题。
Alright, fire away.
好的, 你开始问吧。
In a survey conducted by Nuts magazine that asked its readers how long they took to recover from a cold or flu,
Nuts杂志做过一项调查,问其读者多久从感冒或流感中恢复过来。
where women put an average of 1.5 days, what did men put?
女性平均是1.5天,那么男性呢?
a) 1 day b) 2 days c) 3 days
a) 1 天, b) 2天,还是 c) 3 天?
I’m going to say 3 days. The threat of man flu is real.
我选三天。我觉得男士流感的威胁是真实存在的。
Well, we’ll find out later, but let’s clarify.
我们之后在揭晓答案,但让我们弄明白一点。
Man flu is the tendency that many people believe men have to complain about a minor illness, such as a cold or flu,
男士流感是指很多人相信男性会抱怨得了一些小的疾病,例如感冒或流感,
and act as if they were suffering from something a lot more serious.
然后表现得像得了什么严重的病似的。
Yes. But science cannot say whether men do actually suffer more than women, or if men just tend to complain more.
是的。但科学无法说明到底是男性确实比女性容易感冒,还是男性只是抱怨得多。
Well, let's hear from this British couple about whether they think man flu is real or not.
我们听听这对英国夫妇是否认为男士流感是真的。
Men definitely do suffer a lot more, I think, than women do when we get flu.
我认为,男性得流感时肯定比女性严重。
Yeah, I'm not so convinced.
我不是很确定。
I feel like they just complain more.
我感觉他们只是抱怨得多。
I was ill recently and I just carried on and went to work and everything.
我最近生病了,我也还是继续工作、做所有的事。
And when Chris had got sick recently he was on the sofa and couldn’t really do anything, so…
而当克里斯最近生病的时候,他就躺在沙发上,什么都不做,所以……
And it seems that it’s not just in the UK.
似乎并不只是在英国。
Listen to this BBC Journalist interviewing a woman from Europe.
我们听听BBC记者采访一个来自欧洲的女性。
You're from the Netherlands. Have you ever accused your boyfriend of having man flu?
你来自荷兰。你指责过你的男友有男士流感的毛病吗?
Oh, absolutely yes. Yeah.
绝对有。
What have you accused him of doing?
你指责过他什么?
…whining?
发牢骚?
Whining is when someone complains repeatedly and often in an annoying way about something.
发牢骚是指某人重复抱怨某件事,而且通常是以令人讨厌的方式。
So, there certainly seems to be something there…but nothing has been proven, right?
所以,显然看起来是有一定道理的,但没办法证明,对不对?
Well, a recent scientific study has indicated that there could be something to man flu after all.
最近的一项科学研究暗示,可能是有男士流感存在。
Doctor Kyle Sue, an assistant professor of family medicine at Memorial University of Newfoundland in Canada,
凯尔·苏博士是加拿大纽芬兰纪念大学家庭医学的副教授。
has suggested that there could be a difference between men and women when it comes to respiratory diseases.
他暗示在呼吸道疾病方面,女性和男性可能是有一些区别。
Respiratory meaning related to breathing.
Respiratory是指和呼吸有关的。
He says that there was already a lot of evidence from existing studies suggesting men experience worse, longer-lasting symptoms.
他说,现有的研究中有很多证据暗示男性会经历更严重更持久的症状。
Symptoms are the feelings of illness caused by a disease.
症状是指疾病造成的不舒服的感觉。
Listen to him explain why this is.
我们听听他是怎么解释的。
It seems that the higher the testosterone levels, the lower the immune response to these types of infections,
似乎睾酮水平越高,免疫系统回应这类感染的能力就越低,
whereas the higher the oestrogen level, the stronger the immune response.
然而雌激素水平越高,免疫系统回应这类感染的能力就越强。
Testosterone and oestrogen are hormones that exist in both men and women.
睾酮和雌激素都是荷尔蒙,男性和女性都有。
Testosterone is higher in males and oestrogen is higher in females.
男性的睾酮更高,女性的雌激素更高。
Dr. Sue's research suggests that the more oestrogen a person has, the better able they are to fight off the infection.
苏博士的研究暗示,若一个人体内雌激素更多,他们能更好地应对感染。
That’s it then! Man flu is real!
那就对了!男士流感是真的!
Hold your horses, Neil. There are two problems.
不要着急,尼尔。还有两个问题。
First of all, the Royal college of GPs in the UK says that there is no such thing as man flu.
首先,英国皇家学院的医生们表示不存在男士流感这种东西。
And secondly, even Dr Sue admits that these results, including his own, are only suggestive and are not definitive.
第二,即便是苏教授,他自己也承认这些结果只是暗示性的,不是决定性的。
So, basically he’s saying that there is a suggestion that man flu exists, but the evidence so far cannot say for sure.
所以,基本上他是说有暗示男士流感的存在,但至今还没有证据明确说明。
Exactly. More studies need to be done.
确实,还需要进行更多的研究。
But you know what we can be sure about?
但是你知道我们能确定什么吗?
The answer to this week’s quiz question.
那就是这周问题的答案。
I asked you in a survey conducted by Nuts magazine that asked its readers how long they took to recover from a cold or flu,
我问你,Nuts杂志做过一项调查,询问读者他们多久从感冒或流感中恢复过来,
where women put an average of 1.5 days, what did men put?
女性平均是1.5天,那么男性呢?
a) 1 day b) 2 days c) 3 days
a) 1 天, b) 2 天,还是c) 3 天?
And I said 3 days.
我选的是3天。
And you were right!
你说的没错!
Good!
太棒了!
The men said they took twice as long to recover!
男性说他们要花费两倍的时间去恢复。
It must be all that manly testosterone. Let’s review our vocabulary, shall we?
这一定都是因为男性睾酮。我们来回顾一下今天的单词吧?
Our first was the sniffles.
第一个单词是流鼻涕。
If you have the sniffles, you have a cold, informally speaking.
如果你流鼻涕,也就是说你感冒了,这是非正式的说法。
What's the best cure for the sniffles Neil?
感冒流鼻涕最好的治疗方法是什么?
Stay in bed and sweat it out, my mum always said.
躺在床上忍下去,我妈经常这么说。
Just make sure you have lots of tissues to deal with your runny nose.
确保你的身体组织去应对你的感冒流鼻涕。
That's when a person's nose leaks mucus, usually because they are ill. Yuck!
这是指人们的鼻子流鼻涕,通常是因为他们病了。
Next we had soldier on.
下一个我们提到继续坚持下去。
This phrasal verb means to continue despite difficulty.
这个动词词组是指尽管困难也要继续下去。
When was the last time you had to soldier on, Neil?
上次你不得不坚持下去是什么时候,尼尔?
A few days ago when I went the whole day without eating any lunch! Then we had man flu.
几天前,我出去了一整天没有吃午饭。然后我们都得了男士流感。
That’s is the name given to the situation where a person, often a man, tends to complain and exaggerate a small illness such as a cold.
男士流感是指人们,通常是男性,倾向于抱怨以及夸大小的疾病,例如流感。
Do you do that, Dan?
你会那么做吗,丹?
I’m sure my wife would say I do!
我确定我老婆会说我是这样。
Next we had whining.
下一个词我们提到发牢骚。
If you whine, you complain repeatedly and often in an annoying way.
如果你发牢骚,是指你重复地抱怨,通常是以令人讨厌的方式。
Like my children did last time I didn't buy them ice-cream.
就像上次我没给孩子们买冰淇淋,他们就不停发牢骚。
And finally we had symptoms.
最后我们提到症状。
These are the feelings of illness caused by a disease.
这是指由于疾病造成的不舒服的感觉。
What are the symptoms of flu, Dan?
流感的症状是什么呢,丹?
A headache, aching muscles, and a fever.
头疼,肌肉疼以及发烧。
And that’s the end of this 6 Minute English!
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
Don't forget to check out our YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages.
不要忘了登陆我们的YouTube, Facebook, Twitter 和 Instagram。
There you made it. You can collapse now.
你成功的坚持下来了。你现在可以不用撑着了。
Bye!
再见!