学生应该做兼职吗?
Should schoolchildren have jobs?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English.
欢迎收听六分钟英语。
I'm Neil and joining me today is Dan who is a producer at BBC Learning English – that's his job.
我是尼尔,今天和我一起主持节目的是丹,他是BBC英语学习的制片人。这是他的工作。
Hi everyone… Yes that is my job, obviously – why are we discussing that now, Neil?
大家好!没错,很显然,那是我的工作。我们现在为什么要谈这个?
Well you haven't always been a producer at BBC Learning English, have you?
你之前并不一直都是BBC英语学习的制片人,对吧?
No… I used to be a teacher.
是的,我过去是一名教师。
And before that? Way back – your first ever job?
那之前呢?好久之前,你的第一份工作是什么?
Ah, I had a paper round when I was 14.
我14岁时曾经送过报纸。
A paper round is a job – the job of delivering newspapers to people's homes.
送报纸是一份工作,是指将报纸送至各家。
It's often done by teenagers.
一般都是青少年做的工作。
14 seems very young to be at work.
14岁开始工作似乎有点小。
And that's the topic of this 6 Minute English: Should schoolchildren have jobs?
这就是我们今天六分钟英语的话题:学龄儿童应该工作吗?
It seems fewer and fewer are these days, according to the statistics.
根据数据统计,如今这种现象越来越少了。
We'll give you 6 job-related words and expressions – and, of course, our quiz question.
节目中,我们会提供六个和工作相关的单词和表达,当然还有我们的问题。
You Ready?
你准备好了吗?
You bet!
当然!
What is the youngest age at which children are allowed to work in the UK?
在英国,允许工作的最小年龄是多少?
a) 12, b) 13, c) 14
a) 12岁, b) 13岁, c) 14岁。
Well, I'm going to say 14 just because that's how old I was and it seems a long time ago!
我会选14岁,因为我就是那么大开始工作的,已经是很久之前的事情了!
Well, we'll find out if you're right or wrong at the end of the programme.
节目最后我们再看你回答得是否正确。
Let's start by hearing some British teenagers talking about their Saturday jobs.
我们先听听一些英国青少年谈论他们的打工记。
A Saturday job is the name we give to part-time work that teenagers do for extra money.
Saturday job 是指青少年做兼职工作赚取金钱的一种表达。
As the name suggests, these jobs often take place on Saturdays – but not always.
就像这个名字一样,这些兼职工作基本上都在周六,但也并不是所有都是如此。
That's right. Saturday job is general term we use to describe part-time work done by teenagers.
没错。Saturday job只是我们用来描述青少年做兼职工作的统称。
The work might take place on Sundays or any day of the week, in fact!
这份工作可以在周日也可以在一周中的任何一天。
Let's hear from these British children about their Saturday jobs.
我们听听这些英国小孩谈论他们的打工记!
We have to face all the stuff on the shelves and make it look organised
我们要面对货架上的所有东西,让它们看上去井井有条,
and show customers where products are if they need to know.
而且还要告诉顾客他们想要的东西在哪里。
On the average week I work nine hours,
平均每周我工作九小时,
so two hours for two school nights and then I work four hours on a Saturday and two hours on a Sunday.
上课期间抽出两天中的两个小时,周六工作四小时,周日工作两小时。
And then in the school holidays I can work more.
学校放假时,我可以工作更长时间。
The first teenager said the work involves making the shelves look organised.
第一个青少年说,她的工作涉及让货架看起来井井有条。
Shop work is a very typical Saturday job.
商店的工作是很典型的Saturday job。
Oh yes, I spent many a weekend and evening stacking shelves!
没错,我之前好几个周末和夜晚都在整理货架。
The second teenager's Saturday job takes place Saturdays, Sundays and evenings.
第二个青少年周六周日和平时晚上都有做兼职。
As we said – A Saturday job's not just for Saturdays.
就像我们之前说过的,Saturday job不一定只在周六做。
A Saturday job is seen almost as a rite of passage in the UK.
Saturday job在英国可以算得上是一种仪式。
A rite of passage is the name we give to events or ceremonies that form an important stage in a person's life.
A rite of passage 是我们赋予一些事件或纪念日一些意义,使之成为一个人一生中重要的人生阶段。
That's right – like graduating from school, or having children.
没错,就像是从学校毕业,或者生了小孩。
But according to the latest statistics in the UK, that is all changing.
但是根据英国最近的统计数据显示,这些都在发生变化。
Listen to this BBC report.
我们来听听BBC的报道。
In order to work, they need a permit from the local authority
要想工作,他们需要当地有关机构的许可,
and our data shows the number being issued has fallen from nearly 30,000 permits in 2012 to just 23,000 in 2016.
我们的数据显示,发放许可的数量从2012年的3万份降至2016年的2.3万份。
Employers frequently bemoan the lack of work experience young people have.
雇主们经常抱怨年轻人缺乏工作经验。
But teenagers are also facing pressure not to take up part-time jobs and to concentrate on their studies instead.
但青少年要面对很多压力,无法进行兼职工作,而要专心于自己的学业。
So, it seems that fewer teenagers are taking Saturday jobs.
所以,似乎越来越少的年轻人进行兼职工作了。
But there's a conflict here.
但是有一个矛盾。
Yes, on the one hand, employers bemoan the lack of work experience young people have.
一方面,雇主抱怨年轻人缺少工作经验。
Bemoan, meaning complain about. It's a rather formal word.
Bemoan是指抱怨。是一个相当正式的说法。
But on the other hand, teenagers are facing pressure not to take part-time jobs and to concentrate on their studies.
但另一方面,青少年面临很大压力,无法去做兼职,要专心于自己的学业。
Some people think working could be detrimental to a schoolchild's academic progress.
一些人认为工作对学龄儿童的学习进步有害。
Detrimental, which means causing harm.
detrimental是指造成损害。
It's a tricky one, isn't it?
这个问题很棘手,不是吗?
I think my Saturdays spend stacking shelves and serving fish and chips taught me valuable lessons about working with adults and also managing my money.
我觉得我周六整理货架,在炸鱼和炸薯片店打工给予了我很重要的经验,关于如何和成年人一起工作,以及如何管理自己的金钱。
I don't think it was detrimental to my education.
我不认为这有损我的学业。
Well, you managed to get a job at BBC Learning English!
没错,你还成功地入职BBC英语学习。
As for me, my paper round taught me the value of hard work.
至于我,我送报纸的经历也让我明白努力工作的重要性。
It didn't hinder me. Hinder means to stop someone or something from making progress.
这不会阻碍我。阻碍是指阻止某个人或某件事进步。
Well let's not talk too much in case we hinder our students…
我们别说的太多了,以免影响了学生们。
On to the answer to our quiz question.
我们回到今天问题的答案上。
I asked this: What is the youngest age at which children are allowed to work in the UK?
我的问题是,在英国,允许工作的最小年龄是多少?
Is it a) 12, b) 13, c) 14?
a) 12岁, b) 13岁, c) 14岁?
I said c) 14.
我说的是14岁。
And I'm afraid you are wrong.
恐怕你答错了。
You are allowed to work from the age of 13 in the UK.
在英国13岁就可以允许工作了。
Exceptions to this rule include TV, theatre and modelling.
电视剧、戏剧和模特行业例外。
Oh well – I guess I should have spent more time at school.
我猜我本应该在学校多待一段时间的。
Shall we have a recap of the vocabulary?
我们再重复一下今天的单词吧?
Did you have a paper round as a kid, Neil?
孩童时期,你送过报纸吗?
No I didn't, but I did help my best friend James deliver newspapers - in return for a pound.
我没有,但是我曾经帮助我最好的朋友詹姆斯送报纸,回报是一英镑。
Big money back in the 80s!
在80年代那可是一笔巨款!
Did you supplement your earnings with a Saturday job?
你做兼职赚钱了吗?
I did. I had a Saturday job in a supermarket and also in a fish and chip shop
我做过。我有在超市以及炸鱼和炸薯片店工作。
– but it wasn't always on a Saturday.
但不只是在周六工作。
Dan is that a wedding ring on your finger?
丹,你手上戴的是结婚戒指吗?
Yes it is. Marriage is a rite of passage in many cultures.
没错。婚姻在很多文化中都是一种仪式。
It is an important stage in a person's life – talking of which, are those your kids on your screensaver?
是一个人很重要的一个人生阶段,谈到这,屏保是你的孩子吗?
Yep – having children is another example of a rite of passage.
没错,生孩子是另一种仪式。
See how tired I look!
你看看我有多累!
Do not bemoan your lack of sleep! I'm sure they are wonderful people.
不要抱怨睡眠少。我相信你的孩子们都是不错的。
Bemoan's a quite formal way of saying complain about.
Bemoan是抱怨的一种很正式的说法。
I think it's OK to bemoan my lack of sleep – it can have a detrimental effect on my health.
我觉得抱怨抱怨睡眠少很正常,因为这有损我的健康。
Detrimental – meaning harmful.
detrimental是指造成损害。
As long as your tiredness doesn't hinder your work on 6 Minute English.
你要你的疲惫不要影响了在六分钟英语上班就好。
Well, I'd never let anything hinder my work on 6 Minute English, I mean stop from making progress.
我绝不会让任何事影响到我在六分钟英语的工作,我是指不会阻挡我的进步。
I admire your dedication! Goodbye!
我钦佩你的决心!大家再见!
Goodbye!
再见!