为什么人们要买瓶装水?
Why pay for bottled water?
Welcome to 6 Minute English, where we introduce a refreshing topic and six related items of vocabulary.
欢迎收听六分钟英语,节目中我们会讨论一个提神的话题以及六个相关的单词。
I'm Rob.
我是罗伯。
And I’m Neil… And today we’re talking about water
我是尼尔。今天我们要讨论水。
– there’s nothing more refreshing than an ice-cold bottle of water straight out of the vending machine… Ah!
没有比刚从自动售货机中取出的冰镇瓶装水更能提神的了,哈!
OK. Refreshing in this context means making you feel cool again after being hot.
refreshing在当下的语境中是指让你在热的时候感到凉爽。
So has that cooled you down, Neil?
所以喝了水让你凉快了,尼尔?
Yes, I feel very refreshed now, thanks.
是的,我现在感到很精神,谢谢。
Can I ask you though – why didn’t you just get a glass of water from the kitchen tap?
我能问问你吗,为什么不从厨房水龙头那里接杯水喝呢?
That water is cool and refreshing too – and it’s free!
那的水也很冰爽提神,而且是免费的!
Well, I like this brand of bottled water better – it’s enriched with salts and minerals that are very beneficial to your health.
我更喜欢这个牌子的瓶装水,有丰富的盐和矿物质,对健康有益。
Enriched means improving the quality of something by adding to it.
丰富的是指通过添加某物提高某物的质量。
Enriched!! Honestly, Neil!
营养丰富!老实说吧,尼尔!
It tastes better, Rob.
它更好喝,罗伯。
Yeah…
是。
And I’m not the only one who thinks so.
并不是我一个人这么认为的。
For the first time in the UK, bottled water is more popular than cola.
在英国,瓶装水首次比可乐更受欢迎。
In fact, can you tell me how many litres of bottled water were sold in the UK in 2016?
事实上,你能告诉我,2016年英国卖出多少公升瓶装水吗?
Was it…a) 2.9 billion litres, b) 29 million litres or c) 2.9 million litres?
a) 29亿公升, b) 2900万公升, 还是 c) 290万公升?
Right. Well, I’m going to say 29 million litres.
好吧,我想选2900万公升。
OK. We’ll find out later if you got that right or wrong.
好的,之后我们再看你回答得是否正确。
But seriously, Rob, don’t you think it’s a good thing that people are choosing to buy bottled water at the supermarket rather than fizzy drinks?
但严肃地说,罗伯,你不觉得人们在超市选择买瓶装水而不是起泡饮料是一件好事吗?
Yes, of course. But as I said to you earlier, why don’t people just drink tap water?
没错。但就像我之前说的,为什么人们不直接引用自来水呢?
Let’s listen to Natalie Fee, founder of City to Sea,
我们听听City to Sea的创始人娜塔莉·菲的观点,
which campaigns against plastic pollution – and of course, bottled water causes a huge amount of that.
他们开展反对塑料污染的活动,当然瓶装水造成了大量的塑料污染。
Here's Natalie now, talking about how drinks manufacturers have persuaded people that bottled water is better for them.
娜塔莉会讲述为什么饮品制造商说服人们瓶装水对人们更好。
They manufactured the demand for bottled water and they spent millions of pounds on adverts sort of scaring us off of tap water.
他们生产瓶装水,花费数百万做广告,使人们远离自来水。
The bottled water companies set out to make us believe that tap water wasn’t healthy.
那些瓶装水生产公司试图让人们相信自来水不健康。
And yet, tap water is way more regulated than bottled water is, and in taste tests, tap water comes up trumps most times.
然而,自来水比瓶装水的管控力度更强,在口感试验中,自来水让人们满意的次数更多。
If you manufacture something you make it in large amounts in a factory.
如果你制造某物,是指你在工厂大量生产某物。
But here Natalie says the drinks companies manufactured the demand for bottled water…
但娜塔莉说饮品公司制造瓶装水的需求,
Which means they made adverts to persuade people that tap water wasn’t healthy – and bottled water was.
也就是说他们制作广告说服人们自来水不健康,瓶装水健康。
Hmm – To scare people off – What does that mean, Rob?
scare people off(把人们吓跑)是什么意思?
Well, if you scare somebody off you make them go away by frightening them.
如果你把某人吓跑,是指你通过吓唬某人而让他们远离。
So some advertisers may have suggested, for example, that tap water was unsafe to drink …
所以一些广告可能会暗示,例如,饮用自来水不安全。
Whereas bottled water was safer, and tasted better too!
而瓶装水更安全,口感更好!
You’re catching on!
你很明白啊!
However, Natalie Fee claims that tap water is more regulated than bottled water is.
然而娜塔莉称,自来水比瓶装水管控更强。
Regulated means controlled.
regulated是指控制的。
Natalie also says that in taste tests tap water comes up trumps.
娜塔莉还说在口感测试上,自来水更令人满意。
What does she mean by that?
她这是什么意思?
Well, a taste test is where you ask people to try several very similar products without knowing which one is which,
口感测试是指让人们尝试几款类似的产品,并不告诉他们哪个是哪个,
and then you grade them according to which you like the best.
然后你根据你喜欢的程度对产品进行打分。
And if something comes up trumps – it means it produces a good result, often unexpectedly.
如果某物令人满意,是指得出好结果,通常是指出人意料地。
So tap water comes up trumps, eh?
所以自来水的口感更令人满意?
Yup. Perhaps you should try a taste test now, Neil?
是的,也许你应该做一个口感测试,尼尔?
It would be interesting to see if your enriched bottled water comes up trumps of not!
看看你富含营养物质的瓶装水是不是最令你满意的,这应该很有意思。
I tell you what, let’s leave that until later and hear the answer to today’s quiz question instead.
我会告诉你的,我们之后再说这个,现在先公布问题的答案吧。
OK.
好的。
I asked you: How many litres of bottled water were sold in the UK in 2016?
我问你,2016年英国卖出多少公升的瓶装水?
Was it… a) 2.9 billion litres, b) 29 million litres or c) 2.9 million litres?
a) 29亿公升, b) 2900万公升, 还是 c) 290万公升?
Yeah. And I said 29 million litres.
是的,我选的是2900万公升。
And the answer is… 2.9 billion litres.
正确答案是29亿公升。
Wow!
哇!
You can buy many different brands of bottled water with a range of price tags.
你可以以不同价格购买许多不同牌子的瓶装水。
At the top end, there's water from a 4,000 year-old Norwegian iceberg.
最顶端的,有一种水来源4000多年的挪威冰山。
How much does that cost?
多少钱呢?
Around 80 pounds a bottle.
大概80英镑一瓶。
As cheap as that? I’ll pop out and get some later.
这么便宜?我之后要买一瓶试试。
OK let’s review the words we learned today.
好吧,我们来复习一下今天学到的单词。
The first one was refreshing, which means making you feel cool again after being hot.
首先是refreshing,是指你在热的时候突然凉快下来。
I enjoyed a refreshing cup of tea.
我喝了一杯很提神的茶。
We British like to say that, don’t we?
我们英国人很喜欢这么说,不是吗?
Though I don’t understand how a hot drink can be refreshing.
虽然我不明白一杯热茶怎么提神。
OK – number two – enriched, which means improving the quality of something by adding to it.
好了,第二个单词是强化的,丰富的,是指通过添加某物提高某物的质量。
For example, Did you know that many types of breakfast cereal are enriched with vitamins and minerals, Neil?
例如,你知道吗,很多早餐谷物麦片都富含维生素和矿物质。
No, I didn’t, Rob.
我不知道。
You learn something new every day.
你每天都学新东西啊。
Number three is manufacture – to make something in large amounts in a factory.
第三个单词是制造,是指在工厂大批量生产某物。
This company manufactures wellington boots.
该公司制造威灵顿长筒靴。
I am a wellington boot manufacturer.
我是一个威灵顿长筒靴制造商。
That has a nice ring to it.
这听起来不错。
Anyway, when you scare someone off you make them go away by frightening them.
总之,当你吓跑某人,是指你通过让他们害怕使他们远离。
The dog barked fiercely and scared off the two burglars.
那只狗凶猛地叫着,吓跑了两个窃贼。
Down, Rob, down!
罗伯,小声点,小声点。
Number five – regulated – or controlled – for example, The sale of tobacco is tightly regulated by the government.
第五个单词是控制的。例如香烟的销售受政府的严格管控。
And finally – if something comes up trumps it produces a good result, often unexpectedly.
最后,如果某物令人满意,是指得到好的结果,通常是令人不可思议的。
My lottery ticket came up trumps again! I can’t believe it!
我的乐透再次中奖了!我不敢相信!
You’re a lucky man, Neil.
真是个幸运的人。
OK – it’s time to do that taste test now.
好了,是时候开始口感测试了。
If you have an opinion on bottled water or anything else, please tell us about it on our Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or YouTube pages.
如果你对瓶装水或其他事物有什么看法,请访问我们的Twitter,Instagram, Facebook 或 YouTube告诉我们。
OK. This one definitely tastes better.
好的。这个尝起来更好喝。
And how about this one?
那这个呢?
Yeah, definitely.
好喝,绝对的好喝。
That’s the tap water, Neil.
这是自来水,尼尔。
No, no, no. I refuse to believe it!
不,不,不。我拒绝相信!