阅读新闻的方式
How do you read your news?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Sophie…
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语,我是苏菲。
And I'm Neil.
我是尼尔。
What are you reading?
你在读什么?
A news blog – it says here that the fossil of a two-headed dinosaur has been discovered in Greece.
一个新闻博客,上面说在希腊发现了两个头的恐龙化石。
Look! Look at this picture!
快看!看图片!
Honestly, Neil, you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet!
老实说,尼尔,你不应该相信网络上你看到的每件事。
This story is from one of those fake news websites that float about on social media.
这则新闻来自于在社交媒体上传播假新闻的网站。
And you aren't the only one to get taken in
你不是唯一一个上当的。
– even serious news channels report these types of stories as if they were true.
一些严肃的新闻频道也在报道这类故事,仿佛它们是真的一样。
Taken in means fooled by something.
Taken in 是指被某事愚弄、欺骗。
Well, I must admit, I did believe it.
我必须得承认,我确实觉得它是真的。
And I didn't know that fake – or pretend – news sites existed.
我不知道存在假的新闻网站。
How am I supposed to know what's fake and what's real?
那我该如何识别假新闻和真新闻呢?
So many extraordinary things happen!
世上有很多不可思议的事情发生!
That's a good question, and actually, digital news and its effect on traditional newspapers is the subject of today's show.
这个问题不错,事实上,数字新闻及其对传统报纸的影响是今天节目的主题。
The thing is, if you read a traditional print newspaper like I do,
如果你像我一样,阅读传统的纸质报纸,
you'd find stories that are more reliable – ones you can trust.
你会发现更加可靠,可以相信的新闻。
Well, enjoy your traditional print newspaper while you can, Sophie,
在你还能享受传统纸媒的时候好好享受吧,
because they're going to disappear pretty soon – the same way as the dinosaurs!
因为他们不久之后也会消失,就像恐龙一样!
Hmm. It is true that print newspapers are feeling the pinch these days – and that means not making enough money.
纸媒如今确实遭遇经济困窘的局面,也就是说赚不到足够的钱。
But I will miss them if they go. Which brings me on to today's quiz question.
但如果纸媒消失了,我会很想念的。这也提醒了我今天的问题。
Neil, how many national print newspapers are currently sold in the UK a day?
尼尔,在英国每天会卖出多少份纸质报纸?
Is it…a) 70,000?
a) 7万份?
b) 700,000?
b)70万份?
Or c) 7 million?
还是 c)7百万份?
Well, I'll go for a) 70,000.
我选a) 7万份。
It can't be much more than that, surely.
不会比这再多了。
Well, we'll find out whether you got the answer right or not later in the show.
好的,之后我们再看你回答得是否正确。
But moving on now, we've discussed one disadvantage of digital news
继续说,我们刚刚讨论了数字新闻的一个缺点,
– that it can be hard to distinguish a real story from a fake one – given the mass of information available on the web.
那就是鉴于网络上存在的大量信息,很难辨别真假新闻。
So maybe you should tell us about the advantages, Neil.
所以也许你应该告诉我们数字媒体的优点。
Well, you can access news 24/7 – and search for it on your phone or tablet without having to flip through pages of stuff you aren't interested in.
每周七天24小时你都能看到新闻,可以在手机或平板上搜索新闻,不用翻好几页略去不感兴趣的新闻。
It isn't all in black and white, it isn't all about reading – you can watch and listen too.
而且数字新闻不都是黑白两色,也不是仅仅能阅读,你还能观看,听新闻。
And make comments of your own.
还能发表自己的评论。
OK. Well, let's listen to Tim Luckhurst, Professor of Journalism at Kent University,
好的,我们听听肯特大学新闻学教授Tim Luckhurst的观点,
to see what he thinks is important in journalism nowadays.
看看如今新闻最重要的东西是什么。
It doesn't matter whether your local journalist produces news on a tablet, on a mobile phone, in print, online, on television, or on radio.
无论当地记者是在平板电脑,移动手机,纸质品,网络上,电视还是广播上发表新闻,这都不重要。
What matters is that there should be a diversity of journalism available
重要的是新闻的多样性,
and that it should be provided by professional reporters whose job is to do an honest objective job,
重要的是专业记者提供可靠客观的新闻,
impartially, in the public interest, not simply to rant or express opinions.
不偏不倚,有关大众利益,而不是简单的发表激昂的观点。
Tim Luckhurst there.
上述是Tim Luckhurst教授的观点。
He says that news will be successful on any platform – digital or traditional
他说新闻在任何平台上都能成功,无论是数字化平台还是传统纸媒,
– so long as reporters are honest and objective in their pursuit of a good story.
只要记者们在采集新闻故事时做到可靠客观。
If you're objective it means you aren't influenced by personal feelings or opinions.
如果你是客观的,这是指你不受个人感情或个人观点的影响。
If you rant you speak in an angry opinionated way about something.
如果你发表激昂的演说,是指你以非常愤怒、武断的方式表达对某件事的看法。
Now, newspapers need to make money in order to pay their journalists.
如今,报纸需要赚钱才能给记者们付工资。
And with circulation falling dramatically, they need to find other ways to make newspapers pay.
随着纸媒发行量的衰落,他们需要想其他办法让报纸盈利。
A newspaper's circulation is the number of copies it distributes per day.
报纸的发行量是指每天销售出版报纸的份数。
Well, selling more advertising space is one way, isn't it?
卖更多广告位是一个方法,不是吗?
Yes, but many advertisers are choosing to use digital platforms because they reach a wider and more targeted audience.
美国,但很多广告商都选择数字化平台,因为目标群体更广泛。
And this is one reason why digital news is taking over – it can pay for itself through advertising.
这也是为什么数字新闻占据半壁江山的原因之一,它们能够通过广告自负盈亏。
I wouldn't mind paying more for a newspaper if I knew the quality of journalism is good.
如果有高质量的新闻,我不介意多付一点钱买份报纸。
But increasingly people are expecting good quality journalism for free.
但越来越多的人期待可以免费获取高质量的新闻。
Newspapers have been around since the invention of the printing press,
自印刷机发明后,报纸到处都是。
and as chronicles – or written accounts – of people's lives, are an important historical resource.
作为记录人们生活的方式,报纸也是非常重要的史料。
Let's listen to Alex Cox, researcher at genealogy website, findmypast.co.uk talking more about this.
我们听听家谱网站findmypast.co.uk的研究员Alex Cox的观点。
During the First World War local papers always printed In Memoriam columns where they'd list local dead.
在一战期间,当地报纸经常在悼文版面发表文章,列出当地的死亡人数。
What a lot of them also did was they allowed relatives to submit short poems about their deceased loved ones
同时也允许死者家属发表短小的诗表达对已故挚爱的悼念。
and some of them were five or six lines – not very long – but they're really, really quite powerful.
一些诗只有五六行,不是很长,但文字非常有力量。
And the paper dedicated page space to print not just one of these, but multiple,
报纸将不仅空出一个版面,而是好几个版面来发表这些小诗,
and I don't know whether a modern paper would even consider doing that today.
我不知道如今的纸媒是否考虑这种方式。
Deceased is another word for dead – in this case, it refers to the British soldiers who died in the First World War.
已故的,是逝去的另一种表达,在这里是指在一战中死去的英国士兵。
Local papers, at the time, printed poems written by the families of the dead men.
那时,当地的报纸发表死者家属所写的诗。
Those poems, captured in print, are an important historical record of the time.
那些诗是记录当时历史的重要资料。
Indeed.
确实如此。
Now, remember, Neil, I asked you: How many national print newspapers are currently sold in the UK a day?
你还记得之前问你的问题吗?如今英国每天卖出多少份报纸?
Is it… a) 70,000, b) 700,000 or c) 7 million?
a) 7万份, b) 70万份,还是 c) 7 百万份?
Yes, I remember. And I said 70,000.
我记得,我选的是7万份。
Well, I'm sorry Neil, but you are wrong.
很抱歉,你回答错了。
The answer is actually c) 7 million.
正确答案是7百万份。
But the numbers are falling.
但是这个数字也在下降。
Well, that's still a few million more than I thought.
但仍然比我认为的多好几百万。
Now, I think it must be time to hear the words we learned today.
现在听听我们学到的单词吧。
They are:
分别是:
taken in
被欺骗
fake
虚假的
reliable
可靠的
feeling the pinch
经济困窘
objective
客观的
rant
激昂的演说
circulation
发行量
chronicles
家谱
deceased
已故的
Well, that's the end of today's 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
Please join us again soon!
我们下次再会。
Bye!
再见。