英国女首相特丽莎·梅的就职演讲
Theresa May take over the British prime minister
I have just been to Buckingham Palace where Her Majesty the Queen has asked me to form a new government, and I accepted.
我刚去过白金汉宫,女王陛下要求我组建新政府,我接受了。
In David Cameron, I follow in the footsteps of a great, modern prime minister.
沿戴维·卡梅伦的足迹前行,他是一位伟大、现代的首相。
Under David's leadership, the government stabilized the economy, reduced the budget deficit, and helped more people into work than ever before.
在卡梅伦的领导下,政府稳定了经济,降低了财政赤字,帮助比以往更多的人找到工作。
But David's true legacy is not about the economy, but about social justice.
但戴维真正的遗产并非搞经济,而是社会公正。
From the introduction of same-sex marriage, to taking people on low wages out of income tax altogether.
他认可同性婚姻,让低收入人群彻底免交所得税。
David Cameron has led a one nation government and it is in that spirit that I also plan to lead.
卡梅伦领导了一国政府,我将本着这种精神执政。
Because not everybody knows this, but the full title of my party is the Conservative and Unionist Party.
不是所有人都清楚,我所在的党的全称是保守和统一党。
And that word Unionist is very important to me.
统一一词对我而言至关重要。
It means we believe in the Union.
这表明我相信统一。
That precious, precious bond between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
这是英格兰、苏格兰、威尔士和北爱尔兰之间十分珍贵的结合。
But it means something else that is just as important.
可它还意味着同样重要的东西。
It means that we believe in a Union not just of the nations of the United Kingdom, but between all of our citizens.
它意味着我们不仅相信联合王国的统一,还相信所有公民的统一。
Every one of us, whoever we are and wherever we are from.
每个人,不论我们是谁,我们从哪里来。
That means fighting against the burning injustice that if you are born poor, you will die on average nine years earlier than others.
那意味着要反对强烈的不公正:如果你出身贫穷,就比其他人少活九年;
If you're black, you're treated more harshly by the criminal justice system than if you are white.
如果你是黑人,相比于白人会受到司法体系更严厉的惩罚。
If you're a white, working-class boy, you're less likely than anyone else in Britain to go to university.
如果你是白人工人阶级的男孩,在英国上大学的机会最低。
If you're at a state school, you're less likely to reach the top professions than if you were educated privately.
如果你上国立学校,相比接受私立教育的人获得顶尖工作的机会要少。
If you are a woman, you will earn less than a man.
如果你是一个妇女,你赚的比男人少。
If you suffer from mental health problems, there's not enough help to hand.
如果你有精神疾病,会缺少帮助。
If you're young, you'll find it harder than ever before to own your own home.
如果你是年轻人,会比前人更难拥有自己的住房。
But the mission to make Britain a country that works for everyone means more than just fighting these injustices.
可让英国成为为所有人服务这一使命不仅意味着应对这些不公。
If you're from an ordinary working-class family, life is much harder than many people in Westminster realize.
如果你来自普通工人阶级家庭,生活比政府里许多人知道的更艰难。
You have the job, but you don't always have the job security.
你有工作,可往往并不稳定。
You have your own home, but you worry about paying the mortgage.
你有房子,可担心付不起月供。
You can just about manage, but you worry about the cost of living and getting your kids into a good school.
你还能凑合活,却担心生活费增加,没法把孩子送进好学校。
If you're one of those families.
如果你来自这些家庭
If you're just managing,I want to address you directly.
如果你也凑合活着,我想要直接和你说:
I know you're working around the clock,
我知道你起早贪黑,
I know you're doing your best, and I know that sometimes, life can be a struggle.
我知道你竭尽全力,我知道生活有时是一种挣扎。
The government I lead will be driven not by the interests of a privileged few, but by yours.
我领导的政府不会被一小撮特权群体的利益驱使,而会因你的利益而奔走。
We will do everything we can to give you more control over your lives.
我们将尽一切所能让你更好掌控自己的生活。
When we take the big calls, we'll think not of the powerful but you.
我们做重大决定时,我们想的不是那些有权之人,而是你们。
When we pass new laws, we'll listen not to the mighty, but you.
我们通过新法时,我们不听那些有势之人,而是你们。
When it comes to taxes we'll prioritize not the wealthy, but you.
。当收税时,我们不会优先考虑那些有钱之人,而是你们。
When it comes to opportunity, we won't entrench the advantages of the fortunate few.
当提供机会时,我们不会只给予那些少数幸运之人。
We will do everything we can to help anybody, whatever your background, to go as far as your talents will take you.
我们将尽一切所能帮助所有人,不论你背景如何,都让你能发挥所长。
We are living through an important moment in our country's history.
我们经历着国家历史上一个重要时刻。
Following the referendum we face a time of great national change.
公投后我们面临着国家重大变革的时代。
And I know because we're Great Britain, we will rise to the challenge.
我知道因为我们是大不列颠,我们将迎接挑战。
As we leave the European Union, we will forge a bold, new positive role for ourselves in the world.
我们离开了欧盟,我们会在世界上打造一个勇敢、积极的新角色。
And we will make Britain a country that works not for a privileged few, but for everyone of us.
我们要让英国成为不为少数特权阶级服务的国家,一个为每个人服务的国家。
That will be the mission of the government I lead, and together, we will build a better Britain.
这是我领导政府的使命,我们一起努力,就会建成一个更美好的英国。