这是缺乏信任的时代吗?
Is this the era of distrust?
Hello. This is 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English. I'm Neil.
大家好。这里是BBC教学英语的《六分钟英语》节目。我是尼尔。
And I'm Rob.
我是罗伯。
As well as bringing the world to a halt,
冠状病毒流行病不仅让世界陷入停滞,
the coronavirus epidemic has led to an increase in misinformation, lies and conspiracy theories on the internet.
还导致网络上的不实信息、谎言和阴谋论增加。
In an era of fake news, where even a president of the United States is accused of spreading misinformation,
在这个虚假新闻盛行的时代,甚至连美国总统都被指控散布虚假信息,
could it be that we are living through a crisis in trust?
难道我们正在经历一场信任危机吗?
What is trust?
信任是什么?
And who should we place our trust in?
我们应该信任谁?
These are some of the questions we'll be discussing in this programme.
这些都是我们在节目中要讨论的一些问题。
And we'll be hearing from a philosopher who believes the problem is not about trust itself but about trustworthiness
我们将会听听一位哲学家的观点,他认为问题不在于信任本身,而在于可信度
– the ability to be trusted as being honest and reliable.
——诚实可靠而被信任的能力。
And as always we'll be learning some related vocabulary along the way.
和往常一样,在这个过程中我们会学习一些相关的词汇。
Of course telling lies and lacking trustworthiness is nothing new,
当然,说谎和缺乏可信度并不是什么新鲜事,
just think of the Trojan Horse used to trick the ancient Greeks.
只要想想被用来欺骗古希腊人的特洛伊木马就知道了。
More recently, the American financier Bernie Madoff become infamous as 'the biggest swindler in history'.
最近,美国金融家伯尼·麦道夫变得声名狼藉,他被称为“历史上最大的骗子”。
In 2009 he was sentenced to 150 years in prison for his part in the Ponzi scam,
2009年,他因参与庞氏骗局而被判处150年监禁,
but how much did he defraud from investors?
但他从投资者那里骗了多少钱?
That's my quiz question.
那就是我的测验问题。
Was it: a) 6.5 million dollars, b) 65 million dollars or c) 65 billion dollars?
它是:a) 650万美元,b) 6500万美元,还是c) 650亿美元?
I'll say b) 65 million dollars.
我选b) 6500万美元。
OK, Rob, we'll come back to that later.
好的,罗伯,我们稍后将回到这个话题。
Generally speaking, trust can be described as a judgement that someone can be believed and relied upon.
一般来说,信任可以被描述为对可相信和依赖之人的判断。
When we trust each other it makes life easier, quicker and friendlier.
当我们彼此信任时,生活会变得更容易、更快速、更友好。
Society can't function without trust - so does that mean the more trust the better?
没有信任,社会就无法运转——这是否意味着信任越多越好?
Well, not according to philosopher, Onora O'Neill.
好吧,根据哲学家奥诺拉·奥尼尔的观点来说并非如此。
Here he is speaking to David Edmonds, presenter of the BBC World Service programme, The Big Idea:
这是他对BBC全球服务节目the Big Idea的主持人大卫·埃德蒙兹谈到的:
We have another word, which is gullible,
我们还有另一个词,它就是易受骗的,
and if you simply place trust indiscriminately without making a judgement about whether the other person or institution is trustworthy
如果你只是不加选择地信任而不去判断其他人或机构是否值得信任,
then just trusting to luck as we say, is probably not a virtue.
那么就像我们说的,心存侥幸可能不是一种美德。
There's a difference between trusting someone because you have good reason to believe them and being gullible
因为有充分的理由而相信别人和易受骗而相信别人是有区别的
– that's easy to deceive because you trust and believe people too quickly.
——易受骗是指因为你太轻易信任和相信别人而容易上当受骗。
If you don’t judge who is trustworthy and who is not, you are trusting to luck
如果你不判断谁值得信任,谁不值得信任,那你就是在心存侥幸
– simply believing or hoping that things will happen for the best.
——简单地相信或希望事情会朝着最好的方向发展。
But being gullible and trusting to luck is exactly how Bernie Madoff was able to trick so many people into giving him their money.
但伯尼·麦道夫能够骗那么多人把钱给他正是因为那些人轻信他人和心存侥幸。
Their biggest mistake was to trust him indiscriminately
他们最大的错误是不加选择地信任他
- in a way that does not show care or judgement, usually with harmful results.
——以一种不关心或不做判断的方式,通常会带来不好的结果。
So, if indiscriminately trusting people is such a bad idea, how do we avoid it?
那么,如果不加选择地信任别人是一个坏主意,我们该如何避免呢?
How can we tell who is trustworthy and who is not?
我们如何分辨谁值得信任,谁不值得信任?
Here's BBC World Service's The Big Idea presenter, David Edmonds, asking Onora O'Neill to give some details:
以下是BBC全球服务节目The Big Idea的主持人大卫·埃德蒙兹请奥诺拉·奥尼尔给出的详细信息:
An individual or organisation is trustworthy is they can justifiably be trusted.
一个人或一个组织值得信任是指他们有理由被信任。
To be trustworthy they need three ingredients.
要成为值得信赖的人,他们需要具备三个要素。
First, honesty – people have to be able to believe what they're told.
首先,诚实——人们必须能够相信他们被告知的内容。
Second, competence.
第二,能力。
Beyond honesty and competence there's a third element to trustworthiness: reliability.
除了诚实和能力之外,值得信赖的第三个要素是可靠性。
That's the boring one.
那很令人厌烦。
That's just being honest and competent each time,
每次都要诚实和有能力胜任,
so that it's not enough to be episodically honest and competent for some of the things you claim to be able to do but not others.
所以偶尔诚实和有能力做一些你声称能做到的事情是不够的。
Philosopher Onora O’Neill identifies three ingredients for trustworthiness: honesty, competence and reliability.
哲学家奥诺拉·奥尼尔指出了值得信赖的三要素:诚实、能力和可靠性。
Competence means the ability to do something well.
胜任是指做好某事的能力。
You would trust a car mechanic to fix your broken car engine,
你会相信汽车修理工能帮你修理坏掉的汽车发动机,
but you wouldn't go to them for dental work – they're not competent to remove your tooth like a dentist is.
但你不会去找他们做牙科手术——他们不像牙医那样有能力去帮你拔牙。
And you wouldn't trust your dentist to fix your broken down car, either!
而且你也不会相信你的牙医能帮你修好你坏掉的汽车!
Onora O'Neill also mentions reliability
奥诺拉·奥尼尔还提到了可靠性
– being trustworthy because you behave well all the time and keep all the promises you make.
——由于你一直表现良好,信守承诺而值得信赖。
It's the combination of these three – being honest, competent and reliable – that makes someone truly trustworthy.
诚实、能力和可靠性三者的结合才会另一个人真正值得信任。
And not someone like Bernie Madoff, who would run off with your money and entire life savings.
而不是像伯尼·麦道夫那样会偷走你的钱和毕生积蓄的人。
All of which brings me to my quiz question.
所有这些都让我想起了我今天的测试问题。
Do you remember, Rob?
你还记得吗,罗伯?
Yep, I do. You asked how much Bernie Madoff stole from the American investors he lied to.
是的,我记得。你问伯尼·麦道夫向美国投资者撒谎,骗了他们多少钱。
And I said b) 65 million dollars.
我说是b) 6500万美元。
But in fact it was c) 65 billion dollars – a lot of money to give to such an untrustworthy man!
但实际上是c) 650亿美元——给这样一个不值得信任的人这么多钱!
So we've been discussing whether there is a crisis of trust,
因此,我们一直在讨论是否存在信任危机,
and asking how to know who is trustworthy – able to be trusted as honest, competent and reliable.
以及如何知道谁是值得信任的——因为诚实、有能力和可靠而被信任。
Placing your trust in someone trustworthy is very different from being gullible
信任值得信任的人和轻信他人是完全不同的
– easy to trick because you trust and believe people too quickly.
——因为你太容易信任和相信别人而很容易被骗。
And it can also be unhelpful to trust things to luck – simply hope or believe that everything will work out for the best.
而且心存侥幸也是毫无益处的——简单地希望或相信事情会朝着最好的方向发展。
Both of these problems come about when people trust indiscriminately
当人们不加选择地信任别人时,这两个问题就会出现
- in an unsystematic way that does not show care or judgement, usually with harmful results
——以一种不系统的方式,没有表现出关心或做出判断,通常会带来不好的结果
– as Bernie Madoff’s victims found out to their cost.
——正如伯尼·麦道夫的受害者发现自己的财产损失时。
But luckily there are many trustworthy people around,
但幸运的是,我们身边有很多值得信任的人,
and we can spot them using three criteria: honesty, in other words not lying; competence; and reliability.
而且我们可以用三个标准来发现他们:诚实,也就是不说谎;能力和可靠性。
Competence means an ability to do something well, in the correct and effective way.
胜任是指用正确有效的方式把事情做好的能力。
And reliability means being honest and competent, all the time,
可靠性意味着始终保持诚实和能力,
not just being honest sometimes or reliable in some actions but not others.
而不仅仅是在某些时候诚实或者某些行为可靠。
That's all for 6 Minute English.
以上就是《六分钟英语》的全部内容。
Bye for now!
再见了!
Bye bye!
拜拜!