大学生活都是美好的吗?
Is student life all good?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute EngNeilsh. I'm Alice...
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语。我是爱丽丝。
… and I'm Neil. Hello.
大家好,我是尼尔。
Hello, Neil. You went to university, didn't you?
你好,尼尔,你上过大学是吗?
Yes. University – the best days of my life.
是的,大学是我生命中最美好的时光。
I made fantastic friends, went to great parties…
在那里我认识了超棒的朋友,参加超级赞的聚会。
Did some work?
学到什么东西了吗?
Well, yeah, I did some work, but probably not enough.
学到一些,但是也许还不够。
Well, the subject of today's show is student mental health.
今天节目的主题是学生们的心理健康。
So, Neil, do you think you're looking back at your university days through rose-tinted spectacles?
你有没有觉得你看待你的大学生活太过乐观了?
And that means looking at a situation as being better than it really was.
也就是说真实情形其实没有看上去那么好。
I did feel out of my comfort zone when I arrived.
我刚去的时候确实不适应。
Yes, everyone seemed to know everyone… knew where to go.
每个人好像都了解彼此,知道要做什么。
Yes, well, being out of your comfort zone means being in a situation that you aren't familiar with and which makes you feel nervous.
不适应是指在某个不熟悉的地方感到紧张。
Did you talk to anyone about your feelings, Neil?
你有和其他人谈过你的感受吗?
Did you get any counselling?
有接受心理辅导吗?
And that means professional help with personal or psychological problems.
心理辅导是指针对个人或心理问题的专家意见。
What? No, not me. I'm one of those men who isn't good at talking about their feelings, Alice.
什么?我没有。我不是那种善于和其他人分享心情的人。
I just felt a bit homesick that's all – I missed my friends and family.
我只是有点想家而已,想念我的朋友和家人。
But let's move on, shall we!
我们继续说吧!
Why don't you ask me today's quiz question?
怎么还不到提问环节?
Alright then. So here it is:
好吧,那问题来了:
In a survey of students at Imperial College London, how many students said they suffered from high levels of stress or a mental health condition during their time at college?
在一项针对帝国理工学院学生的调查中,多少学生在大学期间承受高压和心理疾病的困扰?
Was it…a) 1 out of 4?
a) 四分之一?
b) 2 out of 4?
b) 四分之二?
or c) 3 out of 4?
还是 c) 四分之三?
Well, I'm going to go for c) 3 out of 4 because I do think that university life can be more stressful than people realize.
我选四分之三,因为我认为大学生活比人们想象的压力大。
Yes. And stress means pressure or worry caused by a difficult situation.
压力是指遇到困难时的担忧紧张情绪。
OK, we'll find out if you're right or wrong later on.
之后我们再看你回答得是否正确。
Now in the UK, there has been a rise in students using counselling services.
如今在英国,接受心理辅导的学生越来越多。
Why's that, Alice?
为什么呢?
Well, let's listen to Kirsty, a student at Exeter University, talking about why she has had problems.
我们听听埃克塞特大学的学生Kirsty讲述她为什么会有心理问题。
And here's a question for you while you listen: Did she enjoy her first days in college?
听的时候注意这样一个问题:最初她享受大学生活吗?
No. The thing is… it… is a real balancing act.
事实是需要一种平衡之举。
When I first got to university I don't think I'd really realized that I'd forgotten how to make friends you know,
我初入大学时,没有意识到自己其实已经忘了怎么交朋友,
I'd been with the same school friends for seven years,
之前在同一所学校和朋友们相处了七年。
and so I was trying to balance you know social success with academic success whilst learning how to look after myself at quite a young age.
所以在还小的年纪我需要平衡人际交往方面的成就和学业成绩之间的关系,同时还要自己照顾自己。
And I think that's the experience of a lot of young people.
我认为这也是很多年轻人共同的经历。
And people really struggle with it.
这确实是个挑战。
What's a balancing act, Alice?
平衡之举是什么呢?
It's where you try to give your attention to two or more things at the same time.
就是同时关注两件或两件以上的事。
So here, Kirsty is trying to balance making new friends with doing her academic work and learning to look after herself.
这里Kirsty想要兼顾交友、学习以及照顾自己这些事。
What does Kirsty mean when she says she's learning to look after herself?
Kirsty所说的要学会照顾自己是指什么呢?
Well, to look after someone means to protect or take care of someone
照顾某人就是保护或看护某人。
– and in this case, Kirsty's learning to take care of herself – for example doing her own shopping and cooking.
这里Kirsty要学着照顾自己,例如自己逛街,自己做饭。
OK, let's listen to Dr Ruth Caleb of the counselling service at Brunel University in London
我们听听英国布鲁内尔大学心理辅导中心的Ruth Caleb医生的看法,
talking about what practical stuff students could learn before leaving for university that might make life easier for them.
他将讲述学生们步入大学前可以学习哪些实际的东西,更好地度过大学。
Certain things that I think it would be very very helpful for students to have put in place are an ability to do the practical things of life
我认为最有帮助的就是学生们应当具备一些实际的生活能力,
– to do the washing, to do the cleaning and so on – being able to cook.
如洗衣服,打扫卫生,做饭等。
Budgeting is extremely important in university life.
做好预算在大学生活中也是非常重要的。
And also spending time on your own comfortably.
同时要学会独处。
Yes, that's excellent advice.
这些是很棒的建议。
I couldn't boil an egg when I arrived at uni.
我上大学时连鸡蛋都不会煮。
Oh, really? Can you do it now, Neil?
真的吗?现在你会了吗?
Just about, just about.
马上就学会了,马上。
Yeah? Great. And what about budgeting?
真的吗?好吧。那你会做预算吗?
This means planning how much money you have and how you will spend it.
预算是指计算你有多少钱,计划着怎么花。
I'm still pretty bad at that.
好吧,这方面我做的非常差。
However, I am very good at spending time on my own comfortably.
但是独处方面我做的很好。
Yes, I can believe that – feet up, watching TV with a takeaway.
这个我相信,你肯定是翘着脚,看着电视,吃着外卖。
Takeaway, of course a takeaway cause I can't cook anything…
外卖,当然要吃外卖了,因为我不会做饭。
No.
不是吧。
… not even an egg. You know me so well.
煮鸡蛋也不会。你太了解我了。
So how about the answer to today's quiz question, Alice?
该公布今天问题的答案了吧?
Alright then. I asked:
好吧。我的问题是:
In a survey of students at Imperial College London, how many said they suffered from high levels of stress or a mental health condition during their time at college?
在一项针对帝国理工学院学生的调查中,多少学生在大学期间承受高压和心理疾病的困扰?
Was it…a) 1 out of 4?b) 2 out of 4?or c) 3 out of 4?
a) 四分之一?b) 四分之二?还是c) 四分之三?
And I said c) 3 out of 4.
我选的是c) 四分之三。
Yes. And you are correct – well done, Neil!
回答正确!做得好!
The survey, completed by over a thousand students, also found that almost 70% of those that suffer from stress do so at least once a week,
这项调查涵盖了一千名学生,在遭受压力困扰的学生中,70%至少每周一次这样的经历,
and 9% of students feel stressed constantly.
还有9%的同学经常感受到压力。
Stressed means anxious and worried.
压力是指焦虑和担忧。
Well, I feel anxious just thinking about all that stress.
我只有想到这些压力,才会感到焦虑。
Can we hear today's words again?
我们听一下今天的单词吧?
We certainly can. They are:
当然可以。今天听到的单词有:
through rose-tinted spectacles
对某事抱乐观态度
out of your comfort zone
不适应
Counseling
心理辅导
Homesick
想家的
Stress
压力
balancing act
平衡之举
look after yourself
照顾自己
Budgeting
预算
Stressed
紧张的
Well, that brings us to the end of today's 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
We hope you've had a stress-free time.
希望你们在这里感到轻松。
Please do join us again soon.
下次节目再会。
You know where to find us, don't you?
你们知道如何查找我们的节目,是吧?
Go to www.learningenglish.com , where you'll find grammar points, vocabulary and more editions of 6 Minute English.
登陆www.learningenglish.com,可以查找语法点、单词以及往期节目。
Bye.
再见。