自由潜水的乐趣
The joy of free diving
Hello. This is 6 Minute English and I'm Neil.
大家好,这里是六分钟英语,我是尼尔。
And I'm Georgina.
我是乔治娜。
Now Georgina, what do you know about free diving?
乔治娜,你对自由潜水了解多少?
Free diving is a sport where people dive underwater as deep as they can without carrying air tanks, so just by holding their breath.
自由潜水是一项运动,人们不携带氧气罐潜到尽可能深的水下,所以只要屏住呼吸就可以了。
That’s right.
是的。
We’re going to find out today about a world record free diver.
今天我们将了解一名打破世界纪录的自由潜水者。
But first a question – and this is a physics one.
但首先有一个问题——而且是一个物理问题。
On dry land, at sea level, the pressure or weight of all the air above us is known as an atmosphere.
在陆地上,在海平面上,我们上方所有空气的压力或重量被称为大气。
How far underwater do you have to go until the weight of water is equal in pressure to another atmosphere?
你在水下多深的时候水压相当于另一个大气压?
Is it: A: 1 metre, B: 10 metres, or C: 100 metres?
是A: 1米,B: 10米,还是C: 100米?
What do you think, Georgina?
你觉得呢,乔治娜?
Well, water is much heavier than air, but there is lot of air above us, many kilometres, so I don’t think one metre of water is heavy enough.
嗯,水比空气重得多,但是我们上面有很多空气,有好几千米,所以我不认为一米深的水够重。
Same for 10 metres.
10米也是如此。
So, I think 100 metres is the equivalent of 1 atmosphere.
所以,我认为100米深等于1个大气压。
OK. We’ll find out if you are swimming comfortably or completely out of your depth later.
好的。稍后我们就会知道那个深度你是游得舒服还是完全非你力所能及。
Herbert Nitsch holds the world record for the deepest free dive.
赫伯特·尼奇保持着自由潜水最深的世界纪录。
In 2012 he reached a depth of 253 metres.
2012年,他到达了253米的深度。
Recently he spoke on the BBC World Service radio programme, Outlook about his experiences.
最近他在BBC全球服务节目Outlook中谈到了自己的经历。
He spoke about how he trained himself to hold his breath for a long time.
他谈到他是如何训练自己长时间屏住呼吸的。
Lungs are the organs in the body that hold the air that we breathe in,
肺是身体里容纳我们所呼吸空气的器官,
and he says that he trains himself not by starting with a big breath, but when his lungs are already empty.
而且他说他训练自己不是从深吸一口气开始,而是当他肺里的空气已经排空的时候。
Why is that?
这是为什么呢?
The reason why I do the empty lungs is that the urge to breathe comes earlier and this is when the training starts.
排空肺部气体的原因是呼吸的强烈欲望会来得更早,训练就是这个时候开始的。
Because when you hold your breath on full lungs, the urge to breathe comes like a few minutes in, but the time up to that point is no training at all.
因为当你在肺部全是气体的状态下屏住呼吸时,呼吸的强烈欲望会在几分钟后出现,但在那之前根本没有训练。
Only the time you have the urge to breathe and fight against it, that’s the time you’re actually training.
只有当你有强烈欲望去呼吸并与之抗争的时候,才是你真正训练的时候。
So, why train with empty lungs?
那么,为什么要排空肺部气体训练呢?
Because you have to practise not breathing when you need to breathe.
因为你必须练习需要呼吸时不呼吸。
Can you explain further?
你能进一步解释一下吗?
Of course.
当然。
Normally our breathing is automatic.
通常我们呼吸是自动的。
We don’t have to think about it.
我们不需要考虑。
If you hold your breath there is a point when your body tells you that it’s time to breathe.
如果你屏住呼吸,那么在一个时间点你的身体会告诉你是时候呼吸了。
And at that point, most of us will take a breath, won’t we?
而在那个时间点,我们大多数都会去呼吸,不是吗?
Exactly. Our body and brain is telling us – go on, breathe, take a breath!
正是。我们的身体和大脑在告诉我们——继续呼吸吧,喘口气!
This strong feeling to do something is called an urge.
这种去做某事的强烈感觉被称为一种强烈欲望。
To hold your breath for a long time you have to ignore that urge, you have to fight against it.
要长时间屏住呼吸,你必须忽视这种强烈欲望,你必须与之抗争。
So to train to do that, it’s a waste of time taking a big breath,
所以要训练那样做,深呼吸就是浪费时间,
because holding your breath when you don’t need to breathe isn’t difficult – you have to practise fighting against that urge to breathe.
因为当你不需要呼吸的时候,屏住呼吸并不困难——你必须练习应对那种想要呼吸的强烈欲望。
Nitsch did a lot of free diving in lakes in his home country of Austria.
尼奇在其祖国奥地利的湖里进行了很多次自由潜水。
Diving in lakes is very different from diving in the ocean.
在湖里潜水和在海里潜水很不一样。
Here he is describing the experience.
他在这里描述了他的经历。
In the beginning it’s very spooky, and yes, it’s not a pleasant feeling at all in the beginning.
开始的时候很恐怖,是的,开始的时候一点都不愉快。
It’s something actually quite intimidating, but after a while you get used to it and you learn to appreciate it actually that it’s so quiet.
它实际上是一件很吓人的事情,但一段时间后你就会习惯,而且你会学会欣赏它的静谧。
Quiet and you’re deprived of all sensations except the cold, of course, and so you hear your own heart beat because there’s absolutely no sound.
很安静,当然,除了寒冷外你会失去所有的感觉,所以你会听到自己的心跳,因为那里完全没有声音。
How does he describe the sensation?
他是如何描述这种感觉的?
It’s very cold, dark and quiet when diving deep in lakes and at first he says the experience is spooky.
在湖里潜水时非常寒冷、黑暗和安静,而且他说一开始这种经历很恐怖。
This means it’s a little scary and mysterious – in the same way we might find a graveyard at night spooky – that kind of feeling.
这指的是它有点吓人,有点神秘——就像我们可能在晚上发现墓地那样的恐怖——是那种感觉。
And he also says it’s intimidating, which is a feeling of being frightened by something stronger and more powerful than you are.
他还说这很吓人,那是一种被比你更强大的东西吓到的感觉。
And you experience these feelings because you are deprived of all sensations.
你感觉恐怖吓人是因为你丧失了所有感觉。
When you are deprived of something, it means you don’t have it, it’s taken away.
当你丧失某事物,那意味着你没有它了,它被拿走了。
And sensations are the way we experience the world, so sound, sight and smell.
感觉是我们感知世界的方式,那包括听觉、视觉和嗅觉。
Diving in cold, dark silent waters you are deprived of many of our usual sensations, and that is spooky and intimidating.
在冰冷、黑暗、寂静的水中潜水,你丧失了许多我们通常的感觉,那是恐怖吓人的。
Rather him than me. I don’t think I’d like that experience at all!
那是他,不是我。我想我一点也不喜欢那样的经历!
Right, before we review our vocabulary, let’s have the answer to the quiz.
好的,在我们复习词汇之前,让我们先揭晓今天测试问题的答案。
How far underwater do you have to go until the weight of water is equal in pressure to another atmosphere?
你在水下多深的时候水压相当于另一个大气压?
Georgina, what did you say?
乔治娜,你说是什么?
I thought 100 metres.
我觉得是100米。
Well, that is actually the equivalent of 10 atmospheres!
好吧,那相当于10个大气压了!
So the correct answer is 10 metres.
所以正确答案是10米。
Every 10 metres of depth in water is the equivalent to the weight and pressure of the air above us at sea level.
每10米水深就相当于我们上方,海平面之上空气的重量和压力。
There is a difference between fresh and salt water, but it’s not so much as to make your answer correct!
淡水和咸水是有区别的,但它并不能使你的答案正确。
Well done if you got that answer right.
如果你答对了,那很不错啊。
Well I was clearly out of my depth with that question.
那个问题显然非我力所能及。
You were! Now vocabulary.
是的!现在词汇部分。
The part of our body that holds our breath is our lungs.
我们身体中控制呼吸的部分是肺。
A very strong need or desire to do something, like breathe, is an urge.
做某事的强烈需要或渴望,如呼吸,是一种强烈欲望。
Something spooky is a little scary and mysterious.
恐怖的东西就是有点吓人又神秘的东西。
And it can also be intimidating, which means it’s overpowering and frightening in a way that makes you less confident.
它也可以是吓人的,这意味着它在某种程度上是压倒性的和可怕的,它使你不那么自信。
And to be deprived of sensations, means to have certain feelings, like touch and hearing taken away.
丧失感觉就意味着某种感觉被剥夺了,比如触觉和听觉。
So Georgina, do you fancy free diving?
乔治娜,你喜欢自由潜水吗?
Well. Would I like to go hundreds of metres down in cold, dark, silent water without any breathing equipment?
我想要在冰冷、黑暗、寂静的水中不带任何呼吸设备潜到几百米深的地方吗?
Let me think about that. I’ve thought about it – no thank you!
让我想想。我已经考虑过了——不,谢谢!
Not my cup of tea either – and speaking of tea, it is time for us to go and get a cuppa.
我也不想——说到茶,是时候结束节目去喝杯茶了。
That’s all from us.
以上就是本期节目的全部内容。
Goodbye for now.
再见啦。
Bye!
拜!