模特们是不是太瘦了?
Are models too skinny?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Rob...
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语。我是罗伯。
…and I'm Finn. Hello, Rob.
我是芬恩。你好,罗伯。
Hi there, Finn. I have to say you've got a lean and hungry look today!
嗨,芬恩。不得不说你今天看起来面黄肌瘦的。
Oh really? I'll take that as a compliment, shall I?
真的吗?我就当这是一种赞美了。
Please do. Do you want a doughnut?
好吧。你想来个甜甜圈吗?
Actually, yeah – can I have two?
我可以要两个吗?
So what are we talking about today, Rob?
我们今天谈论什么?
We're talking about skinny – or very thin – models and whether there should be a law banning them from working on the catwalk.
我们今天谈论的是骨感模特,也就是说非常瘦的模特,是否有法律规定太瘦不能在T台走秀。
And a catwalk is the long runway that models walk down at fashion shows.
T台走秀是指时装秀上模特们沿着长过道走猫步。
Well, no danger there for me there Rob – I think I like eating a little bit too much.
这对我来说没什么危险,我喜欢吃很多。
And there's no danger of you becoming a model anyway, Finn – because you're not good looking enough, I'm afraid!
你成为模特是没什么危险,因为你不够帅。
Oh really. OK. Thank you, Rob.
好吧,罗伯,谢谢。
That's very nice of you.
你真是“太好了”!
I think it's time for today's quiz question, please.
我觉得该到今天的问题时间了。
OK – well, here goes.
好的,问题来了。
Which country banned the use of underweight models in 2013?
2013年哪个国家禁用体重不达标的模特?
Was it…a) Israel
a) 以色列
b) Canada
b) 加拿大
or c) the US
还是 c) 美国?
You know what?
你知道吗?
I've got no idea.
我真的是不知道。
So I'll take a guess and say a) Israel.
我猜是a) 以色列。
OK. Well, we'll find out if that's the right answer later on.
好吧,节目的最后再看你回答得是否正确。
So come on, Finn, what do you think?
芬恩,就此你有什么看法呢?
Are the models we see on the catwalk and in the media too skinny?
我们在T台和媒体上看到的模特是不是太瘦了?
Well, yeah, I think some models do look fantastic but others look painfully thin.
没错,一些模特确实很美,但一些看起来是病态的瘦。
Now, the media, by the way, refers to the different ways information is communicated to us,
顺便说一下,媒体指的是信息传递给我们的方式,
so, for example, through TV, radio, magazines, and often the internet and newspapers.
例如电视、广播、杂志、互联网和报纸。
OK. Well let's listen to Jamie Gavin, founder and managing director of media agency inPress,
我们来听听媒体机构inPress的创始人兼常务董事Jamie Gavin是怎么说的。
talking about a new French law being discussed, preventing the use of underweight models.
他提到最近热议的法国法律,禁用体重不达标的模特。
Can you spot a phrase that means a limit or an ending?
你能听出来他用了什么短语来表示限制或结束吗?
I think it's a BMI of 18 or less, that's hopefully going to be banned by the French Assembly today.
法国国民议会今天有望出台法律,禁用身体质量指数比18低(包括18)的模特。
This is what the US health organization states as being kind of clinically unhealthy.
这种体重被美国卫生组织认为是临床上不健康的表现。
So it's almost like a cut-off point.
这也是模特们体重的最低截点。
Yes, be thin, yes be thinner than the general population, but once it starts getting to unhealthy territory really that's time to start banning it.
模特们确实要比大众要瘦一些,但是一旦低于健康状态,就要被禁用。
And the French Assembly did pass this law a few days later.
几天过后法国国民议会确实通过了这项法律。
Now, did you spot the phrase for a limit or an ending?
你听出来表示限制或结束的短语了吗?
It's cut-off point.
是截点。
So models that are too thin will be banned – or won't be allowed – to work.
太瘦的模特将会被禁用,也就是不允许其工作。
And the cut-off point is a BMI of 18 or less.
截点是身体质量指数达18或更低。
Now BMI stands for body mass index.
BMI是指身体质量指数。
And this is the ratio of a person's height to their weight.
这是人体身高与体重的比率。
Ratio means the relationship between two things, showing how big one thing is compared to another.
比率是指两个事物之间的联系,显示一方相比另一方的状况如何。
But what happens if you're just naturally really thin?
如果天生就很瘦怎么办呢?
The authorities could be accused of discrimination against skinny people – or treating some people less fairly than others.
有关当局有可能被指责说是歧视瘦人,也就是说不公平的对待。
That's right.
没错。
It's a good point.
这个问题不错。
And that's why the French authorities and those of some other countries are using BMI as a way of deciding.
这也是为什么法国或其他国家使用身体质量指数作为评判标准。
So, models with a BMI of 18 or less weigh too little when compared to how tall they are.
模特们的身体健康指数若达到18或更低,相比他们的身高来说,体重就太轻了。
And clinically unhealthy – what does that mean?
临床上不健康是指什么?
It means when you need medical treatment for a condition or illness.
这是指因为目前的身体状况或不适,你需要接受治疗。
Now anorexia is an illness where a person refuses to eat in order to lose weight.
厌食症是指人们为了减肥拒绝吃东西。
But some models these days are so skinny they do look anorexic.
一些模特真的太瘦了,就像是得了厌食症。
You're right.
没错。
Let's hear more from Jamie Gavin talking about protecting the health of models.
我们再来听听Jamie Gavin所说的,如何保护模特的健康。
What phrase is used to mean 'the responsibility'?
他使用了什么词来表示“责任”呢?
The theatrical agents and the modelling agents that have got a responsibility to look after their clients.
一些戏剧代理商或模特经纪人有责任照顾他们的客户。
There's a huge amount of pressure on both the agent and on the models themselves
经纪人和模特自身都承受很大的压力,
and really the buck lies with them to make sure these people are healthy and that they're looking after their careers as well.
在保证模特健康方面,经纪人有无可推卸的责任,这也是维护他们自己的事业。
So the problem with the modelling industry is that the agents who employ the girls put pressure on – or strongly persuade – them to lose weight.
模特产业的问题在于雇佣模特的经纪公司给模特施加压力,不断说服她们减肥。
And in this way they aren't taking care of their clients, they are actually putting them at risk.
这种情况下,他们没有照顾好他们的客户,将他们置于危险之中。
Now, why's that, Rob?
为什么会这样呢?
It's because many people in the fashion industry prefer very thin models so it's a case of supply and demand.
因为时尚行业偏爱于骨感的模特,这是供应与需求的问题。
The agents are simply supplying the fashion industry with the type of girls they want.
经纪公司只是给时尚界提供他们所需要的模特类型。
Right. And what does the reporter mean when he says the buck lies with the agents?
是的。经纪公司有无可推卸的责任,这是什么意思呢?
When the buck lies – or stops – with someone it means it's his or her responsibility, not someone else's.
这是指这是他的责任,而非其他人的责任。
And agents who employed underweight models can face fines of up to 75,000 euros, or even prison sentences.
经纪公司雇佣体重不达标的模特,会被处以75,000欧的罚款,甚至面临牢狱之灾。
OK, shall we hear the answer to today's quiz question?
我们回到之前的问题吧?
OK. Well, I asked you which country banned the use of underweight models in 2013?
好的,我问你2013年哪个国家禁用体重不达标的模特?
Was it… a) Israel b) Canada or c) the US?
a) 以色列b) 加拿大还是 c) 美国?
I said a) Israel.
我选的是a) 以色列。
And you were right, Finn! Well done.
你答对了!做的不错!
Now, shall we listen to the words we learned today?
我们再回忆一下今天提到的单词吧?
We heard:
我们听到的单词有:
skinny
瘦骨嶙峋的
catwalk
猫步
media
媒体
cut-off point
截点
banned
禁止
BMI (body mass index)
身体质量指数
ratio
比率
discrimination
歧视
clinically
临床上地
anorexia
厌食症
put pressure on
施压
supply and demand
供应与需求
the buck stops with or the buck lies with
无可推卸的责任
Thank you. Well, that brings us to the end of today's 6 Minute English.
谢谢。今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
We hope you had a healthy interest in today's programme.
希望你喜欢今天的节目。
Please join us again soon.
我们下次再会。
Doughnut?
我的甜甜圈呢?
Go on then.
下去再给你。
Bye.
再见。