这只是游戏这么简单?
Is a game just a game?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Rob...
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语。我是罗伯。
...and I'm Finn. Hello.
大家好,我是芬恩。
Hello, Finn. Did you have a good weekend?
你好,罗伯。周末过得怎么样?
Yeah, it was OK thanks although, you know, I'm a bit tired now.
还不错吧,就是现在很累。
Why's that?
为什么呢?
It's a bit embarrassing but I stayed up all night playing a computer game.
说出来有点尴尬,我通宵玩电脑游戏。
All night?! You must be addicted.
整晚都在玩?你也太沉迷游戏了。
Addicted, by the way, means unable to stop doing something.
沉迷,意思说是做某事根本停不下来。
Well, maybe today's programme might have some advice for me.
也许今天的节目能给我一些建议。
That's right.
没错。
Today we're discussing whether computer games are bad for our health - and in particular - bad for children.
今天我们要谈论电脑游戏是否对我们的健康有害,尤其是不利于孩子的健康。
OK, Rob, why don't you wake me up a little bit by asking me today's quiz question?
罗伯,提问今天的问题让我清醒一下吧。
OK - here goes.
好的,问题来了。
In America, what percentage of people who play computer games are female?
在美国,有多少女性玩电脑游戏?
Is it...a) 28%
a) 28%
b) 38%
b) 38%
or c) 48%
还是 c) 48%
Well, I do know a few female gamers so how about b) 38%.
我认识不少玩游戏的女性,我选b) 38%。
OK, right. Go for the middle option?
好吧,选了中间的选项是吧?
We'll find out if that's the right answer later on.
节目的最后看你回答得是否正确。
OK, so what kind of computer games do you like to play, Finn?
好了,你喜欢玩什么类型的电脑游戏?
Well, I quite like those role-playing games.
我非常喜欢角色扮演类游戏,
You know, the fantasy role-playing games.
就是那种奇幻角色扮演类游戏。
OK, well, role playing is where you create your own characters and stories in a fantasy - or imaginary - world.
好吧,角色扮演游戏是你在一个虚幻,虚拟的世界中创立自己的角色,开始自己的故事。
But, to be honest, those kind of games aren't really up my alley - which means they're not really suited to my tastes or abilities.
老实说,这种游戏我还真的不拿手,真的不符合我的品味。
Any other kind of games you like, Finn?
你还喜欢其他类型的游戏吗?
Yeah, I also quite like shoot-'em-up games.
我还喜欢枪击类游戏。
These are games where you have to do a lot of shooting and there's a lot of violence.
游戏有不少枪战和暴力场面。
It's funny because you don't strike me as a violent person, Finn.
很有趣,在我看来你不是一个很暴力的人啊。
I'm not, at all.
我当然不是。
I wouldn't hurt a fly, Rob!
我连一只苍蝇都不会打死。
But maybe shooting people on a computer screen seems a bit more harmless.
在游戏中枪击一个人似乎没什么损害。
OK. And not to hurt a fly means to be gentle and unwilling to make people unhappy.
好吧,不愿意打死一只苍蝇,是指人很温和,不愿意惹其他人不快。
And harmless means unlikely to hurt or upset anyone.
无害意思是不愿意伤害某人。
Well, let's hear Internet safety advisor Alan MacKenzie discussing how adult computer games can have a negative effect on children.
我们听听网络安全顾问Alan MacKenzie所说的,成人电脑游戏对孩子有怎样的负面影响。
Many people understandably will just think that a game is just a game and not realising the explicit content that's in there
许多人理所当然地认为游戏也就是简单地游戏而已,没有意识到其内容,
- and as you suggest, the violence and sexualisation of women in particular, which is wholly inappropriate for anybody, never mind children.
就像你提到的,暴力和性感,并不适合所有人,更不用说是孩子了。
Well, you know, if you want my opinion, Rob, a game is just a game.
如果你问我的话,我也认为游戏就是个游戏而已。
It's generally a harmless form of entertainment.
是一种无害的娱乐方式。
What do you think?
你怎么看呢?
I'm torn, actually - meaning I'm unable to decide.
我很纠结,我也不确定。
Most people, like you Finn, probably aren't affected by what you see in computer games.
大多数人,就像你,也许不会受电脑游戏的影响。
But we can't ignore the small percentage of people who are affected.
但是我们不能忽视少部分受到影响的人。
Well, that's true really, isn't it, Rob?
确实如此,不是吗?
And whilst playing computer games all night doesn't make me violent, it certainly makes me very tired!
尽管通宵玩游戏没有让我很暴力,但是却让我很累。
I can see that.
看得出来。
But also Finn - when do you and your wife actually talk to each other - when you're in your own computer fantasy world for hours on end?
但是当你一连几个小时都沉浸在自己的游戏世界中呢,你和你的妻子还有真正交谈的时间吗?
Yeah, it's not great, is it?
这确实不太好。
And for hours on end means a long time, by the way!
一连几个小时是指很长时间。
So, I don't know. Maybe if she played as well, then we could have some virtual conversations...
我不知道,如果她也玩游戏的话,我们也许会在网络中交谈。
Well, that sounds ridiculous!
这听起来太荒谬了!
But let's move on.
我们继续说吧。
Alan talks about explicit content in games.
艾伦提到游戏中显而易见的内容。
What does that mean?
这是指什么呢?
That means showing things in an open and direct way.
这是指以直接公开的方式展示某件事。
So some adult games contain open violence and sexualisation.
一些成人游戏里会包含明显的暴力和性感的内容。
And shall we explain what sexualisation means?
性感是指什么呢?
Yes. It means making someone or something sexual - and in this case, women.
是指某个人或某个事很性感化,这里是说性感的女性。
This might be through the shape of a woman's body, or the clothes she wears, or the way she behaves in these games.
也许是游戏中通过女性的线条、衣着或举止体现的性感元素。
Alan says this type of explicit content - violent or sexual - is inappropriate for computer games.
艾伦说这种内容,暴力或性感,不适合存在于游戏中。
And inappropriate means not the right thing for a particular situation.
不适合指在某种特定的场合下不恰当。
And he is worried about children accessing this type of content.
他担心孩子们会看到这些内容。
Let's hear more from him. What advice does he give?
我们再来听听他所说的。他给出了什么建议?
So it's a matter of educating the parents and the wider community in these issues,
这时家长和更大范围内社会群体的教育就至关重要,
and making them aware of the type of content that's in there, and why it's inappropriate,
要让他们明白电脑游戏存在这些内容,为什么不恰当,
and the effects that it may be having on their children and their behaviour.
这有可能会影响到孩子的行为举止。
Alan thinks it's the responsibility of parents and the wider community
艾伦认为,这是家长和更大范围内社会群体的责任,
- now that means other groups of people, such as friends, relatives and teachers for example - to check on what children are viewing and playing.
也就是说朋友、亲戚、老师等要查看孩子是否浏览这些内容,是否有玩这些游戏。
But this will only work if they understand which types of content are OK and which aren't.
但是只有他们认识到哪些内容是无害的,哪些内容不适合,才管用。
That's right. So the adults need educating too.
没错。所以一些成年人也需要加强教育,
They need to be shown.
需要监督他们的行为。
Yes, that's right.
没错。
So I'll be checking on your behaviour from now on, Finn!
从今天起,我也要监督你的行为,芬恩。
OK, That's probably a good idea.
这也许是个好主意。
So, let's hear the answer to today's quiz question next.
接下来我们来看看今天问题的答案吧。
Yes and I asked you, in America, what percentage of people who play computer games are female?
好的,在美国,有多少女性玩电脑游戏?
Is it... a) 28% b) 38% or c) 48%?
a) 28% b) 38% 还是 c) 48%?
And I went for the middle option, as usual, and I said b) 38%.
我选的是中间那个选项,b) 38%。
And you are wrong, this time Finn!
这次你回答错了。
The answer is actually c) 48%.
正确答案是c) 48%。
Are you surprised by that?
有没有很惊讶?
Yes and no.
出乎意料也在情理之中。
I think a lot more people are playing games in general, so lots of them must be women.
很多人都在玩游戏,其中肯定很多也是女性。
Absolutely. Why not?
没错。
OK, shall we now listen to the words we learned today?
我们再来回忆一下今天听到的单词?
Good idea. We heard:
好的,今天听到的单词有:
Addicted
沉迷的
Fantasy
幻想
up your alley
符合你的兴趣
shoot 'em up
枪战类
not to hurt a fly
不忍心打苍蝇
Harmless
无害的
for hours on end
一连几个小时
explicit content
显而易见的内容
Sexualisation
性感
Inappropriate
不恰当的
wider community
更广泛的社会群体
Thank you.
谢谢。
Well, that brings us to the end of today's 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
We hope you enjoyed today's programme.
希望你们喜欢今天的节目。
You can hear other 6 Minute English programmes at bbclearningenglish.com.
登陆bbclearningenglish.com可以收听更多节目。
Please join us again soon.
我们下次再会。
Bye.
再见。