神奇的血液
The wonder of blood
Hello, I'm Rob. Welcome to 6 Minute English.
大家好,我是罗伯。欢迎收听六分钟英语。
With me today is Finn. Hello, Finn.
今天的嘉宾是芬恩。你好,芬恩。
Hi Rob!
你好,罗伯。
In this programme we're going to be talking about blood.
今天的节目我们要谈论的是血液。
Yes. Blood? Did I ever tell you, Rob, that I really hate the sight of blood?
血液?我之前有没有告诉你,我特别讨厌看到血?
And I've even been known to faint – that's to lose consciousness - at the sight of a needle.
我曾经看到针就晕过去了,就是说失去意识。
Come on, Finn. I think you've got a lot to learn.
好了,芬恩。你还有很多要学的。
You wouldn't be here without it, you know!
你知道的,没有血液你就不存在了。
It's a fascinating topic.
这是一个很吸引人的话题。
All sorts of discoveries are being made these days, which could change medical science for ever.
最近有各类发现,有可能会改变医学。
Yes. Well, you are right, of course.
好吧,你说得对。
Blood was even thought to relate to human character.
血液甚至与人类性格有关。
People were hot-bloodied – quick to anger – or cold-bloodied – lacking in passion.
我们通常称容易暴怒的人为热血,缺乏激情的人为冷血。
There were all the myths about vampires when young blood was thought to revitalise older people.
许多关于吸血鬼的神话,讲述年轻的血液可以使人返老还童。
There's a dreadful story that a Hungarian countess had hundreds of young women killed so she could bathe in their blood and stay youthful-looking.
有一个可怕的传说,匈牙利女伯爵杀害了几百名年轻女士,用她们的血沐浴,以保持年轻的容颜。
Right. OK. And in Roman times, if a young gladiator died in battle, people used to drink his blood
没错,在罗马时代,如果一个角斗士死于战斗,人们会饮下他的血,
because they thought it would keep them healthy.
他们认为这样会保持健康。
For 3,000 years, people have been cut or given leeches to let out the blood because they thought that would make people better.
三千年来,人们划破皮肤放血或使用水蛭吸血,因为他们认为放血可以改善人们的身体。
Incredibly, it carried on until the 19th century.
难以置信的是,直到19世纪仍然有人这么做。
But it actually made people worse, or even killed them.
但是这其实会损害人们身体,甚至导致死亡。
So I won't be doing that today.
所以,今天我不会这么做。
OK. Instead, how about answering a question all about blood Finn?
好了,回答一个与血液相关的问题怎么样?
Go on then.
问吧。
If you laid out all the blood vessels in an adult body end to end how long would they be?
将成年人的血管排列开来,一共能延伸多长?
Would they be…a) 30,000 miles
a) 30,000 英里
b) 100,000 miles
b) 100,000 英里
c) 200,000 miles long?
c) 200,000 英里?
Well, let's say 100,000 miles. That's b).
我选100,000 英里,b。
OK. Well, we'll see if you got the right answer at the end of the programme.
好的,节目的最后我们再看你回答的是否正确。
OK, well let's talk more about blood now.
现在我们继续谈谈血液。
We've heard about blood in history
我们了解了关于血液的一些历史。
but Finn, did you know that today beauticians are running businesses in which people pay to have their blood extracted, then injected into their face?
但是芬恩,你知道吗,如今一些美容师推出了一项业务,将顾客的血液萃取,注入面部。
Yes I have heard about this. It's thought to rejuvenate – that's to give new life to - their skin.
我听说过。人们认为这样可以使肌肤焕发活力,保持年轻状态。
Michael Mosley has had just that done to his face as an experiment.
Michael Mosley在自己的脸上做过这样的实验。
He's a doctor and presenter with the BBC.
他是一名医生,也是BBC栏目的主持人。
Let's listen to him talking about it.
我们听听他所说的。
He uses an expression that means "go faster".
他使用了一个表达来表示“更快地”,
Can you tell me what it is?
你能告诉我是什么吗?
Sometimes known as the Vampire Facelift, PRP – Platelet Rich Plasma therapy – claims to accelerate healing and reverse the signs of ageing.
富血小板血浆疗法也被成为僵尸美容,宣称可以加速治愈和扭转老化状态。
First my blood is treated to make a concentrated solution of platelets in plasma.
首先血液经离心后得到血小板浓缩物。
Next, this is injected directly into my face.
然后将其直接注入我的面部。
Ouch! And the word he used was "accelerate".
那个词是“加速”,
Now that means to make faster.
意思是变得更快。
And he said they "treated" his blood.
他提到他们“处理”他的血液,
This means "changed or transformed" it.
也就是说“改变或转化”血液。
Well, today, of course, controlled blood transfusion is a completely normal medical practice that saves countless lives.
如今,可控输血是完全正常的医疗实践,拯救了无数生命。
And blood donors – the people who give their blood – are an important part of healthcare.
献血者,就是捐献部分血液的人,是医疗卫生系统的重要组成。
Yes, Finn, but there's all sorts of other amazing things that blood can do.
但是血液还有其他令人惊叹的作用。
If we are running at altitude – high up - the limbs get tired because there's not enough oxygen.
如果我们在海拔高的地方奔跑,四肢会疲惫,因为没有充足的氧气。
The blood then starts creating new red cells and pours them into the system.
血液这时就会制造新的红细胞,将他们注入身体。
That's why athletes often train in the mountains.
这也是为什么运动员们经常在山上训练。
Altitude training, isn't it?
高原训练法,是吧?
And, apparently, the different types of food you eat have an immediate effect on your blood, or rather the element of blood called plasma.
显然,你所食用的不同类型的食物对血液有直接的影响,更确切地说是影响血液中的血浆。
So, if you eat a cholesterol-high breakfast, for example, very soon after that you can see the fat in the blood.
所以,如果你吃了高胆固醇的早餐,血液中的脂肪含量会增高。
Nice. Ideas about how blood moves around your body have changed a lot over the years too.
血液如何在全身运转的理论几年前来不断发生改变。
The Romans thought blood flowed one way and came out of our feet and hands and was then burnt away.
罗马人认为血液单向流动,从脚到手然后不断消失。
But William Harvey in the 17thcentury found that blood circulated via veins and arteries
威廉哈维在17世纪发现血液经由静脉和动脉流通,
– these are the tubes in our body where blood is carried around.
他们是我们身体中携带血液的管道。
And let's not forget clotting – that's when the blood hardens.
我们不要忘记凝血,就是血液硬化。
If our blood didn't clot when we cut ourselves we'd be dead within minutes.
如果我们切到自己之后,血液不凝结,几分钟之后我们就会死掉。
It is really fascinating isn't it?
这很神奇,不是吗?
And we're just beginning to understand stem cells.
我们也要了解干细胞。
These are also in the blood and are used to repair various organs in the body.
干细胞存在于血液之中,用于修复体内器官。
Modern science is really helping us to understand blood properly for the first time and showing us the way forward.
现代科学让第一次我们正确认识血液,并在这条路上愈行愈远。
Now Rob, before my blood boils, could you let me know the answer to the quiz question Rob?
在我热血沸腾之前,能不能告诉我之前问题的答案?
Yes. So, I asked you if you laid out all the blood vessels in an adult body end to end how long would they be:
好的,我问你如果把成年人体内所有的血管连起来,能有多长。
30,000 miles, 100,000 miles or 200,000 miles?
30,000英里, 100,000 英里还是200,000 英里?
Well, I said 100,000 miles.
我选的是100,000 英里。
Wow. And you know your blood vessels, because you got that question right.
你对你的血管了解挺多啊,你的回答是正确的。
Well, I measured them earlier.
哈哈,我之前量过。
Good. And how do you feel about blood now?
现在你还怕血吗?
Well, I'm probably a bit scared of it still.
还是有点怕。
But now that I know all of these wonderful things that it does, I really get why it's so important.
但是如今我知道了血液有多么神奇的用处,我也知道为什么血液如此重要。
Great. So, let's remind ourselves of some of the words we've said today, Finn.
很好,我们再回忆一下今天提到的单词吧。
Here we are:
今天提到的单词有:
faint
晕倒
rejuvenate
使年轻
transfusion
输血
cholesterol-high
高胆固醇
veins and arteries
静脉和动脉
clotting
凝血
accelerate
加速
treated
处理
Thank you.Well, that's it for today.
谢谢。今天的节目就到这里。
Please visit bbclearningenglish.com to find more 6 Minute English programmes.
登陆bbclearningenglish.com可以查看更多节目。
Until next time. Goodbye!
我们下次再会。再见!
Goodbye!
再见!