疲惫不堪
Running on fumes
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak with me, Feifei…
大家好,欢迎收听BBC《地道英语》,我是菲菲。
..and me, Roy.
我是罗伊。
In this programme, we have an expression to describe when someone is very tired and has used all their energy.
本期节目中,我们要讨论一个表达,用来形容一个人非常疲倦,已经用尽了全部精力。
It can also be used for things when they're out of battery or fuel.
也可以用来描述电池或燃料用完的时候。
Speaking of which, Roy - you look exhausted!
说到这里,罗伊,你看起来疲惫不堪!
Thanks, Feifei!
谢谢关心,菲菲!
Do I look that bad?
我看上去有那么糟吗?
I do feel tired, though!
不过,我确实觉得累了!
Roy, you look like you're running on fumes.
罗伊,你看起来像是“running on fumes”。
You mean my car has run out of petrol?
你是说我的车没油了?
I usually say my car is running on fumes when the fuel needle shows empty,
我一般会在油针显示空了的时候会说我的车“running on fumes”,
but somehow the car keeps going!
但不管怎样车还一直开着呀!
Yes, the phrase 'running on fumes' does relate to cars,
是的,“running on fumes”这个短语确实和汽车有关,
but we also use it to talk about people!
但是我们也用它来谈论人们!
You look like you have no energy, so you're running on fumes!
你看上去没一点劲,所以说你“能量用尽”(精疲力竭)呀!
I suppose I am.
我想是的。
It must be all the hard work I'm doing to help people learn English.
这一定是因为我为了帮助人们学习英语而努力工作。
Hard work?!
努力工作?!
I saw you sleeping at your desk the other day!
前几天我看见你在办公桌上睡觉!
Exactly!
一点儿没错!
I was so tired and running on fumes that I fell asleep!
我太累了,精疲力竭,都睡着了!
Hmmm anyway, let's listen to these examples...
不管怎样,让我们听听这些例子..。
He's been working so hard at work recently.
他最近工作很努力。
He's running on fumes.
累的精疲力竭。
I'm worried about him.
我很担心他。
Towards the end of the match,
比赛快结束的时候,
the footballer said she was running on fumes.
足球运动员说她都没一点精力了。
I was running on fumes yesterday.
我昨天精疲力尽。
I couldn't concentrate in the meeting.
我不能集中精力参加会议。
This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English.
欢迎收听BBC《地道英语》,
We're talking about the expression 'running on fumes',
我们正在讨论“running on fumes”这个短语,
which describes a situation where you have no energy, but you keep going.
它描述了一种你没有一点精力,但不得不继续做事的情况。
So why else are you so tired?
不然你为什么这么累?
Well, I have a baby and he cries a lot.
好吧,我家孩子哭得很厉害。
I spend all night looking after him,
我整晚都在照顾他,
so I have no energy.
所以我累的没一点精力了。
Ahhh, that makes sense.
啊,说得通。
Why didn't you call me to say you you'd be in work later?
你为什么不打电话给我,说你晚点来上班?
Well my phone was running out of battery.
我手机没电了。
It was running on fumes.
手机电量耗尽了。
Sounds like everything in your life is running on fumes!
听起来你生命中的一切都没能量了!
You, your car; your phone!
你!你的车!你的手机!
True, but I'm really impressed you compared me with a car earlier.
是的,但你之前把我比作一辆车,这给我留下了深刻的印象。
If I were a car, I'd probably be a really expensive sports car.
如果我是辆车,我可能会是一辆非常昂贵的跑车。
Roy, if you were a car, you probably wouldn't even have all four wheels.
罗伊,如果你是辆车,你可能连四个轮子都没有。
Bye.
再见。
Bye.
再见。