长大成人还住家里的那些事
Grown up and living at home
Hello I’m Rob. Welcome to 6 Minute English.
大家好,我是Rob。欢迎来到BBC6分钟英语。
I’m joined today by Finn. Hi Finn.
今天和我一起的是Finn。你好Finn。
Hi Rob.
Rob你好。
Today we’re talking about a subject that many of us have experienced – it's living at home,
今天我们讨论的话题我们很多人都经历过--在家里住,
particularly when we're grown up and in our twenties.
尤其是当我们二十多岁长大的时候。
Finn, what age were you when you left home?
Finn,你离开家的时候多大?
I was 18 and I'd just finished school, I was really, really excited to see the world!
18岁,我刚毕业,而且当时我真的真的很兴奋看到外面的世界!
So I left home quite young.
我离家的时候比较小。
Well, I left home at the age of 18 too, to go to university, and I never looked back!
好吧,我也是18离家的,去上大学,并且再也没回头!
Of course, not everyone leaves home when they're that young
当然,并不是每个人离开家的时候都那么小,
and we'll be discussing the reasons why – and discovering why more young people in the UK are staying at the 'hotel of mum and dad'.
一会我们也将讨论下为什么英国越来越多的年轻人呆在“爸爸
Yes, we'll explain some related vocabulary too but first I have a question for you Finn.
是的,我们也将解释下与之相关的词汇但首先Finn我问你个问题。
According to the UK's Office for National Statistics, in 2013,
根据英国国家统计局数据,2013年,
what percentage of 20 to 34 year-olds were living at home with their parents? Was it:
大约有多少20-34岁的人和他们的父母住在一起?是:
a) 16%
a) 16%
b) 26%
b) 26%
c) 36%
c) 36%
I'll say 36%.
我选36%
I'll tell you the answer later.
我一会会告诉你答案。
Back to our discussion about living at home.
回到我们关于住在家里的话题,
Residing with – or living with – your parents is not that unusual in some countries.
和自己的父母住在一起在一些国家并不是那么不常见了,
Economic conditions, culture, or family tradition means that some young people stay at home until they get hitched – or get married.
经济条件,文化,家庭传统使得有些年轻人呆在家里直到他们结婚。
Even then, it may be too expensive to rent or buy a house
即使到那时,或许仍然买不起或租不起房子,
and the married couple continue to live at one of their parents' homes.
结了婚的夫妇继续和其中一边的父母住在一起。
But living conditions can be a bit cramped.
但住起来就有点挤了。
But in the UK, it has been more common to leave home at a fairly young age
但是在英国,更常见的是在很小的年纪离家,
and get your own place to live –
自己住一个地方--
maybe sharing it with other people – like a flatshare.
或许和其他人一起居住--像合租。
Many people may have to move to another city to take up a job – to get a job – or they may be going to university.
很多人或许要去另一个城市工作或者去上大学。
But all this comes at a price – there are bills to pay, there's food to buy, plus the cost of accommodation.
但这些都是有代价的--要付账单,买食物,还有住宿的费用。
That's why there has been an increase in young people living with their parents for longer.
这就是越来越多的年轻人和父母住在一起更久的原因。
The recent economic downturn is the biggest factor.
最近经济的衰退是最重要的因素。
It's harder for them to get on the property ladder – to buy a house.
对他们来说买房子更加难了、
But what's it like to be 27 and still living under the same roof as mum?
但是27岁了仍然和母亲住在一个屋檐下会是什么样子?
Luke Sibson knows. He's 27 and still lives with his mum.
Luke Sibson知道。他27岁了,却依然和他妈妈住在一起。
What does he say is the biggest difficulty?
他说的最大的困难是什么?
I had set plans to own a house, and a car and have a family by the time I'm 30.
我已经设定好了计划买房,买车和成家,到我30岁的时候。
I'm now 27 and I'm not any closer to achieving that.
我现在已经27了,我离那个计划依然很远。
There's something very difficult about being a 27-year-old man living at home with your mum.
27岁的男人还和自己的母亲住在一起有些困难。
There's something very difficult about being an adult living in an environment where you're still a child.
对于成人来说住在一个你仍然是孩子的环境里有些困难的。
It limits me socially; sometimes I feel it limits me professionally.
它限制了我的社交;有时我觉得它限制了我的专业。
Oh dear, he had big plans for what he wanted by the time he was 30.
天呐,他有很大的计划在他30岁的时候他想要什么。
But he's still at home and finds it difficult being an adult in an environment – or a place where you live – where you're a child.
但他仍然在家,在这种环境--你住的地方或你当做孩子的时候,你很难做大人。
So he feels like a child because he's being looked after and doesn't have much independence.
所以他感觉像个小孩因为他一直被照顾,不大独立。
This limits him in what he can do socially.
这限制了他的社交方面。
I suppose he can't bring lots of friends home or leave the house in a mess!
我觉得他不能带一大帮朋友回家,把屋子弄的一团糟!
He thinks it also limits him professionally – so it can affect his career.
他认为这也限制了他的专业--这也会影响到他的职业。
I have to admit, living at home now would drive me mad.
我不得不承认,现在住在家里会把我弄疯的。
Well not everyone has a choice and some might feel the benefits – the good things – are greater than the bad things.
并不是每个人都有选择,有些人会获益--好事比坏事要多。
Alberto Baragan is 29 and lives near Madrid in Spain, a country where unemployment amongst the young is high.
Alberto Baragan 29岁,住在离西班牙马德里很近的地方,这个国家年轻人没找到工作的很高。
He says home living is not all bad.
他说住在家里并不都是不好的。
Can you hear what his reasons are?
你听到他说的原因了吗?
Basically I don't have to wash my clothes, I don't have to make my bed, I don't have to buy anything for me, 'cos my mum does all these things for me.
基本上我不需要洗衣服,我不需要铺床,我自己没必要买什么,因为我的妈妈已经为我做了。
You don't have to worry about paying taxes, or paying electricity, any bills;
你不用担心付税或交电费等任何账单。
you are living basically for free.
你基本上不需要花钱。
He says you are 'living for free' – that is quite a big incentive.
他说“免费居住”- 这是一个相当大的激励。
There's nothing to buy, no bed to make, no washing to do.
你什么都不需要买,不用铺床,无需花钱。
You need quite a kind and generous mother or father to live like that!
过那样的生活,你需要一位相当慈祥和慷慨的父亲或母亲!
Indeed. The type of parents you have may influence your decision to stay at home too!
的确。有什么类型的父母或许也会影响到你住在家里的决定!
Alberto also mentioned there were no taxes or bills to pay, which is great if you're not earning any money.
Alberto也说不需要付税也不需要付账单,如果你不赚钱。
Yes and this is of course the reality for many young people in Spain.
是的,当然这也是很多西班牙年轻人所面对的现实。
But if you have no choice about living at home,
但如果你除了在家里住别无选择,
hopefully you at least have a good relationship with your parents.
希望你至少和自己的父母有一个良好的关系。
This means accepting their virtues – their good points – and their faults.
这就是说接受他们的美德--他们好的点和他们的错误。
Yes, after all, it is their home!
是的,毕竟那是他们的家!
Spoken like a true parent Rob!
Rob,你说话像个真正的父母腔!
Behave Finn, and let's see if you answered today's question correctly.
勇敢些Finn。让我们来看看你回答的今天问题是否正确。
I asked you according to the UK's Office for National Statistics, in 2013,
我问你根据英国国家统计局的数据,2013年,
what percentage of 20 to 34 year-olds were living at home with their parents?
20-34岁的人和自己父母住在一起的比例有多大?
I say to remember five-half minutes ago saying it 36%.
我记得5分半钟钱我说的是36%
You're wrong. The answer is 26%.
你错了。答案是26%。
That's 3.3 million adults.
是330万成人。
That's an increase of about 25% since 1996.
1996年大约25%,有一定的增长。
Well that's it for this programme.
好吧,这就是今天的全部内容了。
Please join us again soon for 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English.
请继续加入我们BBC6分钟英语。
Bye.
拜~