退休
Retirement
Hello, I’m Neil. Welcome to 6 Minute English from bbc learning english.com.
大家好,我是Neil。欢迎大家来到BBC6分钟英语。
Finn is with me today. Hi Finn.
今天和我一起的是Finn。你好,Finn。
Hello Neil.
你好,Neil。
Let’s begin with a question.
让我们以一个问题开始吧。
It’s about retirement and I would like to know what the official age of retirement is in Japan.
是关于退休的问题,我很想知道日本的法定退休年龄是多少岁?
a) 60
a)60
b) 65
b) 65
c) 70
c) 70
I know the Japanese have a reputation for working hard, so let’s say c) 70.
我知道日本人以工作努力著称。所以我选择c) 70。
I will let you know the answer later on.
一会为你揭晓答案。
I was asking that question because today we are talking about when is it time to stop working – another way of saying to stop is to quit – quitting work.
我问这个问题是因为我们正谈论停止工作的时间--停止的另一种说法是退出--退出工作。
Neil, the official word for stopping work is retiring.
Neil,停止工作的官方说法是退休。
People take retirement when they reach an age when they cannot or do not want to work anymore.
当人们到了一定的年纪不能工作或不想工作的时候就退休了。
Are you thinking about retirement Neil?
Neil,你想过退休吗?
No – like many of us, we still have many years of work still to do.
没有,就像我们中的一些人一样,我们还要工作很多年。
Giving up work – or retiring – is usually a financial decision.
放弃工作--或退休往往是一个金融决定。
You mean you can only do it if you have enough money to live your life without having to go to work?
你的意思是只有当你有足够的钱满足生活需要时你才不去工作?
When would you like to retire Neil?
Neil,那你打算什么时候退休?
I would like to retire at the age of 60.
我想在60岁的时候退休。
Then I can get my pension – a regular payment from savings I make each month.
然后我就可以领养老金--从我的积蓄里每个月定期支付。
And later I will get a state pension – a payment from the government.
之后我会有国家养老金--政府付款。
How about you Finn?
你呢,Finn?
It’s not really about the money for me – I just want to work forever.
对我来说钱真的不是很重要--我只想一直工作下去。
I get job satisfaction and as long as I enjoy it, I’ll keep doing it.
我能得到工作满足感,因此只要我喜欢,我会一直工作下去。
Job satisfaction – that is a good reason.
工作满足感--这是一个很好的理由。
I know many people who do their job for the love of it – but sometimes you have to say enough is enough – you have done your best and you can't carry on anymore.
我知道很多人工作是因为喜欢--但有时候你不得不说够了够了--你已经做到最好了,你不能再继续做下去了。
In sport you would say it is time to hang up your boots.
在体育界你可以说“是时候把你的靴子放起来了”。
In fact there is one very popular sportsman who retired after a long time in the job.
实际上有一个非常受欢迎的运动员在工作了相当长一段时间才退休。
He was the manager of Manchester United football club, Sir Alex Ferguson.
他就是曼彻斯特联队足球俱乐部的经理, Alex Ferguson先生。
Yes, he was manager for 26 years!
是的,他做了26年的经理!
So, why did he decide to ‘hang up his boots’ and retire – was he too old?
那为什么他决定“把他的靴子放起来”退休了--是因为年纪太大了?
He was 71 years old – but is 71 too old to be a football club manager?
他71岁了--但是71岁对一个足球俱乐部经理来说就无法胜任了吗?
Let’s hear from Alex Ferguson talking about some of the reasons that made him think about retirement.
让我们来听听Alex Ferguson 先生自己关于他的退休是怎么说的。
How does he describe his health at the moment?
他那时的身体状况是什么样的?
As you get older you’re not guaranteed your health, no one is when you get into your seventies.
当你年纪越来越大,你的身体状况就不能保证了,没有人可以保证当你70多岁的时候。
But touch wood that my health remains for a long time yet.
但是我的健康在很长一段时间内“摸木头”还是可以的。
At the moment everything is hunky-dory but you never know.
目前来看一切都是极好的,但是你永远不知道。
He has a very strong Scottish accent.
他的苏格兰口音非常重。
He said that as we get older our health is not guaranteed – so we cannot be certain of how long we will stay healthy for.
他说随着我们年龄增长,健康就不能保证了--所以我们不确定还能保持多久的健康。
Ah, but he says at the moment, his health is hunky-dory!
呃,但是他也说了,目前他的身体是非常健康的!
That is a strange expression.
这真是一个奇怪的表述。
It means it is good and without problems.
意思是现在很好没有问题。
And he said ‘touch wood’ it will remain good for a long time.
并且他说他还能很长一段时间内“摸木头”。
Why does he say ‘touch wood’?
为什么他要说“摸木头”呢?
It is an informal phrase meaning ‘with luck’ and is said to avoid bad luck.
它是一个非正式的短语,意思是“好运”,以此避免坏运气。
Some people actually touch a piece of wood when they say it.
当人们这么说的时候,有些人真的摸了一块木头。
Well, touch wood, we all have good health.
好吧,“摸木头”,我们都会身体健康。
So, Sir Alex’s reason for retirement is to enjoy life while he has good health. A good reason.
因此, Alex先生退休的原因就是在身体健康的时候享受生活。这是一个很好的理由。
And recently, another person from the world of football said he was retiring.
最近还有一个在足球界很有名的人说他打算退休。
It doesn’t mean he is never going to work again.
这并不意味着他从此就不再工作了。
Instead, he is giving up playing professional football.
相反的,他是放弃职业足球生涯。
You are talking about David Beckham!
你在说的是大卫·贝克汉姆!
He’s not really that old is he?
他并不是真的年纪大了,不是吗?
No – at 38, he’s younger than you!
是的--他才38,比你还年轻!
But at that age it’s a level of competition he feels he can no longer take part in.
但是在这个年龄他觉得有一定的竞争压力,不能再继续下去了。
He’s had a good career and is one of the world’s best-known footballers.
他的职业生涯很好,并且是世界上最出名的足球员之一。
What do you think of him Neil?
Neil,你是怎么认为的呢?
He was good but not the world’s best.
他是很好,但并不是世界上最好的。
He was probably better known for being a celebrity.
或许他作为一名明星更为人们所知。
Anyway, he just felt the right time in his career to stop.
不管怎样,他觉得现在正是时候结束了。
But what about people who are in positions that they just can't give up?
但是那些在职又不能退休的人呢?
Such as members of the royal family?
像那些皇室的成员?
Being a king or a queen is not a job they choose to do – it is hereditary – so something passed on from parent to child.
成为一位国王或女王并不是他们选择去做的一份工作--而是继承的--由父母传递给子女。
So, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands – after 33 years as Queen she recently decided to retire – or a royal way of saying this is to abdicate.
因此荷兰的 Beatrix 女王--做了33年的女王后她最近决定退休--皇家的说法是退位。
Speaking through an interpreter, this is what she said.
通过一位翻译解说,她是这么说的。
What has she been given since she announced her retirement?
自从她宣布退位后她遭受了什么?
Since I announced my intention to retire, I have been struck by overwhelming expressions of heartfelt sympathy.
自从我宣布退位,我就一直被大家由衷的同情深受感动。
This was accompanied by a broad understanding for the desire to now hand over my role to the Prince of Orange.
伴随着大家普遍的理解,现在我把我的位置交给Orange王子
So, since she announced her abdication, she has been struck by overwhelming expressions of heartfelt sympathy.
因此,随着她宣布退位,她就一直被大家由衷的同情深受感动。
Now it’s time to give you the answer to today’s question.
现在是时候揭晓今天问题的答案了。
Earlier I asked what the official age of retirement is in Japan.
一开始的时候我问你日本的法定退休年龄是多少岁?
And I said 70.
我说的是70岁。
You were wrong.
你答错了。
The answer is 60, which was option a)
答案是60岁,选a)
Thanks for joining us.
感谢加入我们。
Please do listen again to another 6 Minute English.
请再次收听我们的BBC6分钟英语。
Bye.
( ^_^ )/~~拜拜,大家国庆节快乐哦!