方便手机充电的无线家具
Wireless furniture for phones
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English.
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语。
I'm Rob…
我是罗伯。
… and I'm Neil. Hello.
我是尼尔。大家好。
Hello, Neil.
你好,尼尔。
Can I borrow your phone charger?
能借我一下你的手机充电器吗?
My phone's just died.
我的手机快关机了。
Er … I don't think my charger is compatible with your phone.
我觉得我的充电器和你的手机不匹配。
Compatible means when you can use things together…
匹配是指两件东西可以同时使用。
I'm afraid they'll be no status updates for you today.
恐怕今天没有你的状态更新了。
Oh dear. I can't believe it's run out of power already.
天啊,手机现在已经没电了。
Well, you shouldn’t have bought a state-of-the-art phone
你不应该买最尖端的手机,
– it's a big drain on the battery.
那种手机特别费电。
State of the art means something that has the newest ideas and features.
最尖端的指某物具有最新的理念和特点。
So I should have stuck with a dinosaur like yours, eh, Neil?
难道我要和你一样买个落后的古董手机不成?
And dinosaur here means something that is out-dated.
这(这里的恐龙)指的是落后过时的东西。
You can laugh at my phone, but it's got plenty of battery life left – unlike yours!
你可以嘲笑我的手机,但是它现在还有很多电,不像你的手机!
Hmmm… I might just pop out and ask if someone's got the same charger…
也许我该出去问问谁有相同型号的充电器。
Stay where you are.
在这待着!
We're recording a programme!
我们在录节目呢!
And today's show is… you guessed it… all about phones!
今天的节目是关于什么,你猜猜,是讲手机!
That’s right, Neil.
没错。
And we're also talking about wireless furniture…
我们还要谈论无线家具。
Pardon?
什么?你再说一遍?
Furniture with built-in wireless charging technology – like a coffee table.
就是指内嵌有无线充电技术的家具,像咖啡桌之类的。
Built in means the technology is included as part of the table.
内嵌指这项技术内藏于桌子内,成为桌子的一部分。
So you just pop your phone on the table, and technology does the rest!
所以你只要将手机放在桌子上,剩下的就交给这项技术就可以了。
Magic!
太神奇了!
And wireless technology is the way mobile phones work using radio waves to send and receive data.
无线技术是指手机通过无线电波来发送及接收数据。
So that's what we need – a desk with a built-in charging spot for both our phones!
所以这就是我们所需要的,一张内嵌有充电点的桌子,可以为我们的手机充电。
But would it be compatible for both of them?
但是所有手机都适用吗?
Well, that's an excellent question – and I don't have the answer.
这个问题不错,但我也不知道。
But can you tell me the answer to this:
你能先回答一个问题吗?
What do modern phone batteries contain? Is it…
现代手机的电池中含有什么物质?
a) nickel?
a) 镍?
b)lithium?
b)锂?
or c) lead-acid?
还是c) 铅酸?
Well, lead-acid sounds dangerous…
铅酸听起来很危险。
so I think it's either nickel or lithium.
所以我觉得要么是镍,要么是锂。
I'll go with lithium.
我选锂。
We'll find out if you're right or wrong later on.
之后我们来看看你回答得是否正确。
But now let's listen to journalist Daisy Buchanan
现在我们先来听听记者黛西布坎南的谈话,
who thinks that mobile phones have stopped us having conversations.
她认为手机阻碍我们的交流。
And listen out for a phrase that means 'It's unlikely to happen soon'.
听听哪个词是描述“不可能很快发生”。
I was thinking yesterday how it used to be,
我在想过去是什么样子,
you know, you used to sort of go into a café or a pub maybe and look for where the loos are
之前我们去咖啡馆或者酒吧,也许进去后会找厕所在哪。
but now the first thing we're looking for is sockets to try and find where you can charge
而现在,第一件事是找哪里有插座可以充电,
if you … you know, if someone has the same charger with you.
看别人是否有和你一样的充电器。
And maybe with this, I might be being naive – I suspect I am – especially with Ikea's new wireless charging furniture…
也许我的观点有点天真,关于宜家无线家具的出现,
that maybe if our batteries died a bit more frequently
我觉得也许我们手机电池没电后,
we are going to… you know… look up a bit more and have a few more conversations.
我们会看更多的书,更专注于聊天。
I'm not holding my breath, but you can but hope.
对于无线家居我并没有很大的期待,但是你可以,你可以期待。
Daisy said some really interesting things there,
黛西说的挺有意思,
so let's listen to that clip again.
我们再听一遍吧。
I was thinking yesterday how it used to be,
你听到那个词了吗?
you know, you used to sort of go into a café or a pub maybe and look for where the loos are
“不可能很快发生”的另一种说法,是没有很大的期待。
but now the first thing we're looking for is sockets to try and find where you can charge
看起来,黛西不是很喜欢无线充电家具。
if you … you know, if someone has the same charger with you.
她认为手机会阻碍我们的交流。
Did you get it?
听起来有些荒谬,但确实如此,不是吗?
Another way of saying 'It's unlikely to happen soon' is I'm not holding my breath.
我们盯着手机的时间太长,反而没时间与其他人交流。
It sounds ridiculous, but it's true, isn't it?
不好意思。你说什么,尼尔?
We spend far too much time staring at our phones instead of talking to each other.
我刚刚在看手机。
Sorry. What's that, Neil?
怎么能这样,罗伯!
I was just looking at my phone.
把手机放一边去。
Come on, Rob!
好的。主要是因为手机的功能性增强,也就是手机能做的事情增多,大大增加了我们看手机的时间。
Put the phone away.
我们接着聊,想想绿色意识。
Are there any environmental factors to consider in relation to new mobile phone technology?
新型手机技术是否有要考虑的环境因素?
OK. Well, that's because phone functionality – that's what a phone can do – is increasing all the time.
我们听听费夫齐所说的某个手机品牌的最新型号,然后从中找出答案。
Let's listen to Fevzi Turkalp talking about the latest model of one mobile phone brand – and find out.
手机生产商想要将手机电池密封,也就是没有用户可更换的电池。
And I guess … you're more likely then to say
我猜你可能会说
you know what I won't replace the battery I'll just get a new phone.
没有替换的电池,那么我就去买一个新手机。
They've taken the decision to make it a sealed unit so no user-replaceable battery…
所以费夫齐说这款新手机没有用户可更换的电池,
And I guess … you're more likely then to say
也就是说你不能把电池取出来,换一个新电池。
you know what I won't replace the battery I'll just get a new phone.
这对环境来说确实是个问题。
So Fevzi says this new phone doesn't have a user-replaceable battery,
没错。
meaning you can't take it out and replace it
环境学家希望手机电池与手机主体可以分离开来。
– and this is a problem for the environment.
这样就可以轻而易举地更新、修理或回收利用电池。
But you can't do this with a sealed unit – a unit that cannot be opened.
如果是密封电池的话,就不可以这样,密封就是说不能打开。
That's right
这就意味着有毒材料会被弃于垃圾堆中。
– environmentalists want products that are designed to be taken apart.
你可以想象
Then they can easily be upgraded, repaired or recycled.
这对环境会造成多大的损害。
But you can't do this with a sealed unit – a unit that cannot be opened.
回到节目开头问你的问题。
What do modern phone batteries contain?
现代手机的电池中含有什么物质?
And this means toxic – or poisonous – materials are often dumped in landfill.
我选的是锂。
And I said lithium…
你很了解你的电池。你答对了!
And you know your batteries well because that's the right answer!
看来我猜得不错。
Now Rob, how about those words again?
现在我们再回忆一下单词?
Wow. What a great guess!
好的,今天我们听到的单词有:
OK, the words we heard today were:
相匹配的
compatible
最尖端的
state of the art
落后过时的事物
dinosaur
无线家具
wireless furniture
内嵌
built in
无线技术
wireless technology
没有很大的期待
I’m not holding my breath
功能性
user-replaceable
用户可更换的
sealed unit
密封装置
toxic
有毒的
toxic
好了,今天六分钟英语就到这里。
We hope you're feeling charged up by today's programme.
希望听了今天的节目后,你觉得电量满满哦。
Please join us again soon.
下次节目我们再会!
Well, that brings us to the end of today's 6 Minute English.
再见。