男人的身体形象
Men's body image
Hello I'm Rob. Welcome to 6 Minute English.
大家好,我是Rob。欢迎收听六分钟英语。
I'm joined today by Finn. Hi Finn.
今天Finn和我一起做节目。你好,Finn。
Hello Rob.
你好,Rob。
Today we're talking about men's body image –
今天我们要讨论的话题是男人的身体形象——
that means how men feel about their physical appearance.
意思就是男人们对自己身体外貌的看法。
So it's not about fashion – the style of clothes they wear –
这个跟流行无关——也就是他们穿的衣服——
it's about how they look physically and how they think other people view them.
而是他们外表看起来的样子以及他们认为别人是如何看待自己的。
So come on Rob, how do you think I look?
那么Rob,你觉得我看起来怎么样呢?
Hmm… You want me to be honest?!
额……你想听实话吗?!
You're a handsome chap really but you're a little skinny,
你是个帅小伙,不过看起来有点太瘦了,
maybe, you don't look like you 'work out' –
可能你看起来不是很“健壮”——
you know, go to the gym – but look at me,
你懂得,就是去健身馆健身——不过你看看我,
I can't talk – I don't look too good either!
我还是别说你了——我自己看起来也不怎么样啊!
Oh come on Rob,
噢,少来了,Rob,
I'm sure your wife thinks you look very handsome!
我敢肯定你妻子肯定觉得你帅的不得了!
You'll have to ask her.
这个你就得去问她啦。
Well before we explore this subject more and look at some related vocabulary,
在我们开始深入这个问题之前,先让我们来看看一些相关的词汇,
let's 'work out' with a question.
让我们“解决(work out又当健身、锻炼讲)”这个问题
It's about a survey on men's body image.
这里有一个关于男人身体形象的调查。
In a survey by the University of the West of England, what percentage of men said they were unhappy about their body?
是由西英格兰大学发起的,问题是大约有多少男性对自己的身材不满意?
a) 20%
a) 20%
b) 55%
b) 55%
c) 80%
c) 80%
Well I think men are quite concerned about their body image so I'm going to say 80%.
我想男人们对自己的身材是很在意的,所以我选80%。
We'll find out if you are right or wrong later.
稍后我们来揭晓答案。
So let's talk more about body image.
好的,那么现在我们就来好好聊聊身体形象的话题。
We probably know more about women worrying about things like their weight, size, and body shape.
我们可能都知道女性非常关心自己的体重、尺寸以及体型。
But men also have bodily expectations –
但男人们也对自己的身材有所期望——
in other words, a view on how they think they should look.
换言之,就是他们想象中自己应该是什么样子的。
But where does this vanity come from?
那么这种幻想是从哪里来的呢?
Vanity – a good word,
幻想——没错,
that's when you are too interested in yourself and especially interested in how you look –
只有当你对自己过分关注的时候,尤其是自己的外貌——
spending a lot of time in front of a mirror.
会花很多时间照镜子。
I suppose it's from pressure or influence from people we see on TV or in magazines.
我想可能是因为我们从电视或者杂志上看到的很多好看的人,从而产生压力或者受到一定的影响。
People have a perception – or a belief – of what the perfect body should look like.
人们有一种想法——或者信仰吧——那就是一个完美的身材应该是什么样的。
Yes, TV and magazines are full of pictures of men with perfect pecs –
没错,电视以及杂志到处都是这种有着完美肌肉的美男——
that's chest muscles – perfect hair and dazzling white teeth.
尤其是胸肌——还有漂亮的头发和闪着光的洁白牙齿。
A bit like Arnold Schwarzenegger?
就像阿诺·施瓦辛格?
Not my type!
那可不是我喜欢的型!
Whilst I like to look fit and healthy, big muscles don't suit me!
我想要看起来壮实健康就可以了,大肌肉可不适合我!
The biggest thing I have at the moment is my beer belly –
现在我身上最大的东西其实是啤酒肚——
my stomach is getting a bit too fat –
我的肚子可是有点太肥了——
and that's something I'm not too proud of.
这可不是什么值得骄傲的事。
It's very impressive, Rob.
你太令我印象深刻了,Rob。
Well some men cheat to try and achieve the perfect physique.
有些人会采用一些投机取巧的方式来获得完美的身材。
They either take certain drugs or drink protein drinks.
比方说吃药或者喝蛋白饮料。
And then there's a muscle-enhancing shirt –
还有一种增强肌肉的衬衫——
that's a padded shirt that you wear under your clothes that make you look more of a hunk – strong and muscly.
它里面有衬垫,把它穿在衣服里面可以让你看起来很健壮——壮实、有肌肉。
Come on Finn, you must have one of those?
Finn,快点从实招来,你是不是也有一件那样的衬衫?
I'm wearing one right now, Rob.
我现在就穿着呢,Rob。
Not really!
不是吧!
And Joe Warner, an author and former editor of Men's Fitness Magazine, thinks they are a waste of time.
前男性健康杂志编辑、作者Joe Warner认为,他们这样做只不过是在浪费时间。
What word does he use to describe wearing a padded shirt –
他用了什么词来形容那些穿“假肌肉”衬衫的人呢——
and what does he suggest men should really be doing to improve body image?
他又是如何建议男人们真正做些有用的事来提高身体的形象呢?
A lot of people now are obese, they are overweight –
现在的很多人都很肥胖,超重——
it's a real issue in the UK.
这在英国可是一个不太好的现象。
And it's another one of these fitness and health gimmicks we see so much of,
我们已经看过太多关于健身和健康方面骗人的噱头了,
I think it's just a real shame people still want shortcuts when it doesn't take an awful lot of effort to get to the gym or go for a walk and men do need to take more exercise.
但在我看来,人们不想付出汗水去健身或者散步,而只是想走捷径,这可不是什么值得骄傲的事情,男人们真的需要好好锻炼了。
So Joe says many people in the UK are obese –
Joe说在英国很多人都很肥胖——
they are too fat and it's dangerous to their health.
他们太胖了,这样可对身体健康没什么好处。
But he describes trying to pretend to look good by wearing a padded shirt as a 'health and fitness gimmick'.
他形容那些通过穿衬垫衬衫来假装自己身材很好的人是中了那些“健康和健身的骗人的噱头”。
Yes, a gimmick is something that looks good,
没错,噱头就是那些看起来似乎很不错,
but is not really useful.
但实际上并不怎么管用的东西。
And he says these health and fitness gimmicks are shortcuts to looking healthy.
他还说这些噱头只不过是一些旁门左道,让人们看起来似乎很好。
What's the real solution Rob?
那Rob,真正有效的方式是什么呢?
Easy – do more exercise.
很简单啊——多做运动就行了。
Walk, run, cycle or go the gym.
散步、跑步、骑自行车或者去健身房锻炼。
Of course body image is about how you think you should look –
当然,身体的形象是关于你如何想想自己最佳的样子的——
I think the best approach is to accept how you look:
我想,其实最好的方法就是接受自己本来的样子:
we don't want to all look the same anyway.
我们并不想让自己看起来和其他人一模一样。
Wise words Rob.
很有道理,Rob。
We shouldn't forget that beauty is only skin deep.
我们不应该忘记美丽或者帅气其实是由内而外散发出来的。
So your character is much more important than your appearance.
所以相比起外貌来说,我们的性格要更重要一些。
A good idiom, but still men – and women – are concerned about their body image.
没错,不过男人还有女人们依然很在乎自己的外在形象。
And earlier I asked you, according to a survey, what percentage of men are worried?
对了,之前我问了你一个问题:根据一项调查,大约有多少男性对自己的身材感到担心?
I said c) 80%. Was I right?
我猜的是c) 80%,对吗?
You were right.
对啦。
The study by the University of the West of England found that 80% of men who responded,
西英格兰大学的这项调查发现有80%的男性,
said they regularly had conversations about one another's bodies.
说他们经常和别人讨论另外一些人的身材。
And the biggest body issue for them was their beer bellies and lack of muscles.
然而他们眼中最大的身材问题是啤酒肚以及没有肌肉。
Well before I head off to the pub…
好的,在我去酒吧之前……
I mean gym, could you remind us of some of the vocabulary we've heard today:
呃,其实我是想说健身馆……你能和大家一起复习一下今天听到的词汇吗:
Yes, we heard:
好的,今天我们听到的词汇有:
body image
身体形象
workout
健身;锻炼;解决
handsome
帅气的
vanity
虚荣,自负;幻想
perception
知觉; 觉察(力); 观念;
pecs
胸肌
beer belly
啤酒肚
muscle-enhancing
增强肌肉的
hunk
厚片,大块
obese
肥胖的
gimmick
花招,诡计,噱头
beauty is only skin deep
美丽由内而来
Thanks. We hope you've enjoyed today's programme.
谢谢。希望大家喜欢今天的节目。
Please join us again soon for another 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English.
同时也期待大家继续收听我们下期的六分钟英语节目。
Bye.
再见。