给在家照顾孩子的父母的建议
Tips for parents coping with kids at home
Hello. This is 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English. I’m Neil.
大家好,这里是BBC教学英语的《六分钟英语》,我是尼尔。
And I'm Georgina.
我是乔治娜。
Do you remember the school holidays when you were a kid, Georgina?
乔治娜,你还记得你小时候的学校假期吗?
Ah, yes, I remember.
啊,记得,我记得。
Six whole weeks without school!
整整六个星期不上学!
I used to go to the seaside on holiday with my family
我那时候常常和家人去海边度假
- sometimes to the coast in England and sometimes abroad to France or Spain.
——有时去英格兰海岸,有时出国去法国或西班牙。
Yes. I remember my dad driving us down to the seaside,
是的。我记得我爸爸开车带我们去海边,
looking out the car window and playing I-spy with my sister.
看着车窗外,和我姐姐玩“我猜游戏”。
But with the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic many children are having to take an extended and unplanned break from school.
但是随着冠状病毒大流行的爆发,许多孩子不得不放了一场得到延长并在计划外的假期。
And with schools now shut for the foreseeable future, this is creating challenges
随着学校现在在可预见的未来关闭校门,这正在带来挑战
- both for children who can no longer meet their friends to play outdoors…
——既是对再也不能和朋友们见面在户外玩耍的孩子而言……
…and for parents who want to keep their children occupied and focused without spending hours watching TV or playing on mobile phones.
也是对孩子家长而言,他们想让孩子保持专注与集中,不花费大量时间在看电视或玩手机上。
In this programme, we’ll be discussing some advice for parents
在本期节目中,我们将讨论一些给家长的建议,
trying to keep their children educated and entertained at home in these unusual times.
家长们想让自己的孩子在这个特殊时期在家中得到教育并愉快玩耍。
But first, today's quiz question.
但首先是今天的测试问题。
Under normal circumstances, which country has the longest school summer holidays?
在正常情况下,哪个国家的学校暑假最长?
Is it: a) Australia, b) Argentina, or c) Italy?
是a)澳大利亚,b)阿根廷,还是c)意大利?
Hmmm, they have really hot summers in Australia, right?
嗯,澳大利亚的夏天真的很热,对吧?
I think maybe they also have long holidays, so I'll say a) Australia.
我想也许他们的假期也很长,所以我选a)澳大利亚。
OK, Georgina. We'll find out later whether you were right.
好的,乔治娜。稍后我们将揭晓你是否正确。
Of course, what's happening right now is very different from normal school holidays.
当然,现在所发生的情况与正常的学校假期大不相同。
Parents and children may be living together under lockdown for weeks on end and this can be stressful
父母和孩子可能会在封锁的状态下一起连续生活数周,这可能会造成很大压力,
as BBC Radio 4s You and Yours discovered when they spoke to parenting expert, Elizabeth O’Shea.
正如BBC广播4频道的You and Yours节目在采访育儿专家伊丽莎白·奥谢时所发现的那样。
The most important thing is see this as an opportunity.
最重要的是把这看作一个机会。
It’s unprecedented what’s going on,
现在所发生的事情是前所未有的,
but you may have a chance to have two or more weeks with your children,
但你可能有机会和孩子度过两个或更多星期,
and if you can change your attitude towards that,
而且如果你可以改变自己对此的态度,
you can actually enjoy this time and teach your children amazing coping skills for dealing with difficulties in the future.
你就可以真正享受这段时间以及教给你的孩子一些应对未来困难的惊人应对技能。
Elizabeth thinks that having a positive attitude by seeing the lockdown as an opportunity will help in this unprecedented situation
伊丽莎白认为,保持积极的态度,把封锁看作是一个机会,将有助于应对这种前所未有的情况
– a situation which has never happened before.
一种从未发生过的情况。
Adults are full of life experience and parents can teach their children things they wouldn’t get to learn at school.
成年人有丰富的生活经验,父母可以教给他们的孩子一些他们在学校里学不到的东西。
Being able to spend time at home with your children can be a great opportunity to teach them coping skills
能够和你的孩子待在家里共度时光是一个很好的机会来教授他们应对技能
- skills they can use to cope, or deal with, stressful situations.
——他们可以用来应对或处理压力情况的技能。
One of Elizabeth’s main ideas is that parents shouldn’t try to re-create a school classroom at home.
伊丽莎白的主要观点之一是,父母不应该试图在家里重塑学校教室。
Instead, it might be better to work with your children as a team and decide together what you’d like to do.
相反,作为一个团队与你的孩子一起做事,一起决定你想做什么,可能会更好。
Here she is talking about keeping kids entertained at home.
在这里她说的是让孩子们在家里玩。
I would brainstorm ideas and then draw up timetables of what you're going to do each day.
我会集思广益,然后制定出每天要做之事的时间表。
Include a nice chunk of time, normally after lunch, for a bit of downtime - quiet reading or quiet play,
包括一大段休息时间,通常是午饭后——安静地阅读或玩耍,
but then the rest of the time, build in activities.
然后,在剩下的时间创建活动。
So playing with your children is wonderful – ball games, board games, card games, word games,
所以和你的孩子一起玩是很棒的——球类游戏,棋类游戏,纸牌游戏,文字游戏,
anything – doing a family disco – anything that is fun and entertaining for them.
任何事情——进行家庭迪斯科——任何对他们来说有趣好玩的事情。
If you lack ideas for what to do during the day, Elizabeth recommends brainstorming
如果你对白天该做什么缺乏想法,伊丽莎白建议集思广益
- talking to your children to produce ideas and suggestions for things to do.
——和你的孩子们讨论来想出要做什么的主意和建议。
Of course, games and activities are fun ways of keeping children entertained,
当然,游戏和活动是让孩子开心的有趣方式,
and she suggests spending a chunk – or large part of time - on those.
而且她建议花一大段或者大量时间在那些事情上。
But it's difficult to find the energy to keep playing games all day long.
但是很难有精力整天玩游戏。
It's also important to timetable in downtime
为休息时间制定时间表也很重要
- time when you relax and do not do much, for example quiet reading.
——当你放松,不做太多事情的时候,比如安静地读书。
And if it all starts going wrong, here's Elizabeth again with a final tip.
如果一切都开始变得糟糕,那就是伊丽莎白在这里再次提到的最后一条建议。
Pillow fights are also a great way to let off steam.
枕头大战也是发泄的好方法。
If the situation becomes stressful then it's good to let off steam
如果情况变得紧张,那最好发泄一下
- do something to get rid of strong feelings by expressing them without harming anyone.
——在不伤害任何人的情况下,通过表达强烈的情绪来摆脱这些情绪。
You could let off steam in many ways – anything from going for a run to having a pillow fight!
你可以通过很多方式来发泄——从跑步到枕头大战!
I think I'm going to need a holiday to get over this lockdown.
我想我需要一个假期来度过这个封锁期。
Which reminds me... it’s time to reveal the correct answer to this week’s quiz question.
那提醒了我……是时候揭晓本周测试问题的正确答案了。
I asked you which country's schools usually have the longest summer holidays.
我问你哪个国家的学校通常拥有最长的暑假。
I said a) Australia.
我说是a)澳大利亚。
Good try, Georgina, but the correct answer was c) Italy.
猜得不错,乔治娜,但是正确答案是c)意大利。
They have up to 13 weeks' holidays in the summer!
他们在夏天有长达13周的假期!
Imagine how much fun you could have!
想象一下你会有多开心!
Or how much English vocabulary you could learn!
或者你能学到多少英语词汇!
Today we've been giving some tips to parents for surviving the coronavirus lockdown,
今天,我们一直在为家长们提供在冠状病毒封锁中熬过去的建议,
an unprecedented situation – meaning a situation which has never happened before.
这种情况是前所未有的,那指的是这种情况以前从未发生过。
One parenting expert recommends keeping a positive attitude by focusing on the useful things parents can teach their children at home,
一位育儿专家建议通过专注于父母能在家里教给孩子的有用东西来保持积极的态度,
like coping skills - skills to cope with stressful situations, like being locked down.
比如应对技能——应对压力处境的技能,比如被封锁在家里。
A good way to generate ideas for things to do is brainstorming
想出点子的一个好方法就是集思广益
– talking with your children to come up with ideas and suggestions for fun learning activities.
——和你的孩子们讨论想出主意和建议进行有趣的学习活动。
A large chunk - or part - of the day could be spent in fun ways like playing games or finding things out together on the internet.
一天中的大量或部分时间都能以愉快的方式度过,比如玩游戏或在网上找乐子。
But don't forget to schedule in some downtime – quiet time to relax and do nothing.
但是不要忘记安排一些休息时间——放松下来,什么也不做的安静时间。
And when it all gets too much, find healthy ways to let off steam
当情绪太大时,找一些健康的方法来发泄
– get rid of strong emotions by doing something energetic, like going for a run....
——通过做一些有活力的事情来摆脱强烈的情绪,比如跑步……
…Or having a pillow fight!
或者来一场枕头大战!
Come on, Neil, I always have a pillow handy, just in case!
来吧,尼尔,我手边总是有个枕头,以防万一!
Well, unfortunately, we've run out of time.
好吧,遗憾的是我们没时间了。
Search BBC Learning English for more language learning programmes as well as English activities for your children during the lockdown.
搜索BBC教学英语,在封锁期为你的孩子找寻更多的语言学习节目和英语活动。
Bye for now!
再见了!