哭泣的力量
The power of crying
Hello. This is 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English. I’m Neil.
大家好,这里是BBC教学英语的《六分钟英语》,我是尼尔。
And I'm Sam.
我是萨姆。
Do you cry easily, Sam?
你容易哭吗,萨姆?
I mean, when was the last time you cried?
我的意思是,你上一次哭是什么时候?
Let me think… Last week watching a movie, probably.
让我想想……可能是上周看电影时。
I was watching a really dramatic film and in one scene, the heroine gets separated from her children.
我在看一部非常戏剧化的电影,在其中一个场景中,女主角和她的孩子们分开了。
I just burst out crying.
我突然就哭了出来。
How about you Neil - when was the last time you cried?
你呢,尼尔——你上一次哭是什么时候?
Men don't cry, Sam.
男人不会哭的,萨姆。
Come on, Neil! That's a bit stereotypical, isn't it?
得了吧,尼尔!那有点刻板,不是吗?
The idea that men don't show their emotions and women cry all the time.
认为男性不会表露情感,而女性总是在哭。
Well, that’s an interesting point, Sam, because in today’s programme we’re discussing crying.
好吧,萨姆,那是一个有趣的观点,因为在今天的节目中我们要讨论哭泣。
We'll be investigating the reasons why we cry,
我们会探讨一下我们哭泣的原因,
and looking at some of the differences between men and women and between crying in public and in private.
以及看看男女之间,公共场合下和私下哭泣的区别。
And of course, we'll be learning some related vocabulary along the way.
当然,我们还将在这个过程中学习一些相关的词汇。
I guess it's kind of true that women do cry more than men.
女性确实比男性哭得多,我想是那样的。
People often think crying is only about painful feelings,
人们通常认为哭泣只是关于痛苦的感受,
but we also cry to show joy and when we are moved by something beautiful like music or a painting.
但我们哭泣也是为了表达喜悦,当我们被音乐或绘画等美好事物感动时。
So, maybe women are just more in touch with their feelings and that's why they cry more.
所以,也许女性只是更能触碰自己的情感而已,那就是为什么她们更爱哭。
Well actually, Sam, that brings me to our quiz question.
好吧,事实上,萨姆,那就引出了我们今天的测试问题。
According to a study from 2017 conducted in the UK, on average, how many times a year do women cry?
根据2017年在英国进行的一项研究,女性平均每年哭几次?
Is it: a) 52, b) 72, or c) 102?
是a) 52次,b) 72次,还是c) 102次?
Hmm, it's a tricky question, Neil.
嗯,这是个棘手的问题,尼尔。
I mean, there are so many different reasons why people cry.
我的意思是,人们哭泣的原因有很多。
And what makes me cry might make someone else laugh.
让我哭泣的东西可能会让别人发笑。
I think some of my female friends probably cry around once a week,
我觉得我的一些女性朋友可能一周哭一次,
so I'll guess the answer is a) 52.
所以我猜答案是a) 52次。
OK, Sam. We'll find out later if you were right.
好的,萨姆。我们稍后将揭晓你是否正确。
Now, while it may be true that men cry less often,
现在,男性哭泣的频率确实降低了,
it also seems that they feel less embarrassed about crying in public.
而他们在公共场合哭泣时的尴尬感似乎也减少了。
This may be because of differences in how men and women think others will view their public displays of emotion.
这可能是因为男性和女性对别人看待他们在公共场合表达情感的看法不同。
Here's BBC Radio 4s Woman's Hour speaking to therapist Joanna Cross about the issue of crying at work.
治疗师乔安娜·克罗斯在BBC广播4频道的《女性时间》节目中谈到了在工作中哭泣的问题。
Let's take the workplace.
让我们以职场为例。
If you've got somebody who seems to cry regularly, I think that's not helpful for the individual,
如果有人似乎经常哭,那我觉得哭泣对这个人是没有帮助的,
because then if they cry over something that really is important to them,
因为如果他们为一些对他们来说真的很重要的事情而哭,
they might not be taken so seriously - or they get a label.
那么他们就可能不受那么大的重视——或者他们会被打上标签。
But I do think crying is often a build-up of frustration and undealt-with situations and it's a bit of a final straw moment.
但我确实认为哭泣往往是挫败感和未处理事宜的累积,是压垮人的最后一根稻草。
So people who regularly cry at work risk not being taken seriously - not being treated as deserving attention or respect.
因此经常在工作中哭泣的人有可能不受重视——得不到应有的关注和尊重。
And they might even get a label - become thought of as having a particular character whether that's true or not.
他们甚至可能会被打上标签——被认为具有某种特征,不管该特征真实与否。
Here's Joanna Cross again:
这是乔安娜·克罗斯再次谈到的:
You build up your resentments, your lack of boundaries,
你积累了怨恨,缺乏底线,
not being able to say 'no' and then somebody says, 'Can you go and make a cup of tea?' and you suddenly find yourself weeping.
不会说“不”,然后有人说:“你能去泡杯茶吗?”你就会突然发现自己哭了。
And everybody says, 'What’s wrong with her?' but actually that’s often a backlog of situations.
每个人都说,“她怎么了?”但实际上那通常只是事务积压所造成的情况。
So, a common reason for crying at work seems to be a build-up of resentments
因此,在工作中哭泣的一个常见原因似乎是怨恨的累积
- feelings of anger when you think you have been treated unfairly or have been forced to accept something you don’t like.
——当你认为自己受到不公平对待或被迫接受自己不喜欢的事物时的愤怒感。
When left undealt with, these feelings can create a backlog
如果不处理,这些情感就会造成事务积压
- an accumulation of issues that you should have dealt with before but didn’t.
——堆积一大堆你应该处理但没有处理的问题。
Right. And then, like Joanna says, someone asks you to do something very simple and easy,
对的。然后,就像乔安娜说的,有人让你去做一些非常简单的事情,
like make a cup of tea,
比如泡杯茶,
and you start weeping - another word for crying.
然后你就开始哭了——这是表示“哭泣”的另一个单词。
That's a good example of a final straw moment,
那是“最后一根稻草”的一个很好例子,
a term which comes from the expression, 'The straw that broke the camel's back'.
这个词语来自短语“压垮骆驼的最后一根稻草”。
The final straw means a further problem which itself might be insignificant but which finally makes you want to give up.
“最后一根稻草”指的是进一步的问题,这个问题本身可能无关紧要,但最终会让你想要放弃。
I hope this programme won't be the final straw for us, Sam.
萨姆,我希望这个节目不会成为我们的最后一根稻草。
I doubt it, Neil.
我对此表示怀疑,尼尔。
The only time I cry at work is when you used to bring in your onion sandwiches for lunch.
我唯一一次在工作中哭是你曾经把洋葱三明治拿来当午餐的时候。
In fact, I can feel a tear rolling down my cheek right now…
事实上,我现在就能感觉到一滴眼泪从我的脸颊上滚落下来……
Ah, so that counts as one of your cries, Sam.
啊,所以那也算你哭了一次,萨姆。
Remember, I asked you on average how many times a year women in the UK cry - and you said?
还记得吗,我问你英国女性一年平均哭几次,你说?
I said a) 52.
我说是a) 52次。
Well, don't cry when I tell you that you were wrong.
好吧,我告诉你你答错了的时候,不要哭啊。
The actual answer was 72 times a year.
实际答案是每年72次。
Which on average is more than men, but less than parents of new-born babies, both mothers and fathers.
哭的次数平均高于男性,但要低于新生儿父母,爸爸和妈妈都是。
They cry almost as much as their babies!
他们几乎和他们的孩子哭得一样多!
Today, we've been talking about crying - or weeping, as it's sometimes called.
今天,我们一直在谈论哭——它有时被称为哭泣。
People who often cry at work risk not being taken seriously - not treated as deserving of attention or respect.
那些经常在工作中哭泣的人有可能不受重视——没有得到应有的注意和尊重。
This means they might get a label - becoming known as someone with a particular kind of personality,
这意味着他们可能会被打上标签——被认为是具有某种特定性格的人,
even though that may not be true.
尽管那可能不是真的。
But crying is also a healthy way of expressing emotions.
但是哭泣也是表达情感的一种健康方式。
It can help deal with resentments - feelings of anger that you have been treated unfairly.
它可以帮助处理怨恨——你受到不公平对待时的愤怒情绪。
If we don't deal with these feelings in some way, they can grow into a backlog
如果我们不以某种方式处理这些情绪,它们就会变成积压待办的事务
- an accumulation of unresolved issues that you now need to deal with.
——堆积成你需要去处理的那些未解决事宜。
And if you don't deal with them, you might become a ticking bomb waiting to explode.
如果你不处理这些情绪,你可能会成为一个定时炸弹,等待爆炸。
Then anything someone says to you can become the final straw
然后,别人对你说的任何话都能成为压垮你的最后一根稻草
– the last small problem which makes you want to give up and maybe start crying.
——让你想要放弃甚至开始哭泣的最后一个小问题。
Oooooooo...
呜呜呜……
What’s the matter, Neil? Was it something I said?
怎么了,尼尔?是我说了什么吗?
No, Sam - I'm crying because it's the end of the programme!
不,萨姆——我哭是因为到了节目最后了!
Ahh, don't worry because we'll be back soon for another edition of 6 Minute English.
啊,别担心,因为我们很快就会回来继续另一期的《六分钟英语》。
But bye for now.
再见了。
Bye.
再见。