告别布什大厦
Farewell Bush House
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English.
大家好,这里是6分钟英语。
I'm Rob and Rosie joins me today.
我是罗伯,今天和我一起的是罗西。
Hello Rosie!
你好罗西!
Hi Rob!
你好罗伯!
Today we're talking about what can be a very stressful moment in our lives – moving house.
今天我们谈论的是在我们生活中压力非常大的时刻——搬家。
Packing up even a small house or flat can be quite stressful and time-consuming but imagine the upheaval involved in moving a big company or organisation.
甚至是装修一个小房子或公寓都是压力非常大和耗费时间的,但是想象一下参与一个大公司或者是组织搬迁的剧变。
Like the BBC World Service maybe?
也许像是BBC的全球服务?
Exactly like that.
正是像它。
Because I am of course talking about our home, Bush House in London.
因为我当然是在谈论我们的房子,伦敦的布什大厦。
It's where we are speaking from now.
就是现在我们说话的地方。
But not for long because the World Service is preparing to leave the building for new purpose-built facilities in another part of London.
但是不会太久了,因为世界广播正在准备离开这个建筑到伦敦另一个地方的新建的专用设施里。
It's a sad time and time to reflect on what's taken place in this famous London landmark.
这是一个悲伤的时刻和时间来反省这个著名的伦敦标志建筑所发生的事。
More on that in a moment but first it's time to set you a question Rosie.
稍后有更多时间,不过首先给你设置一个问题,罗西。
So are you ready?
那你准备好了吗?
I guess so.
我想是如此。
OK.
好的。
Do you know when the construction of the first part of Bush House (we call it Centre Block) was completed?
你知道布什大厦的第一部分建筑(我们称作大厦中心)是什么时候完工的吗?
a) 1913
a)1913年
b) 1923
b)1923年
c) 1933
c)1933年
I'm going to say b) 1923.
我将要选择b)1923年。
As usual we'll find out the answer at the end of the programme.
通常条件下我们将要在节目的最后揭晓答案。
Now, as I mentioned we're saying farewell to Bush House this year.
现在,正如我所提到的,今年我们要告别布什大厦。
The building has housed the BBC World Service since 1941 – so it's been our home for seventy years.
这所建筑自从1941年被BBC全球服务所使用,所以七十年来它都是我们的家。
I haven't been there that long but I still have some fond memories of the place in my relatively short time here.
我在那里没有住那么长的时间,但在这里与我相关的短暂时间里,我仍然拥有这个地方的温柔记忆。
It certainly has a special place in the hearts of people who have worked here – the staff.
这对于那些在这里工作的人们来说这当然是个特殊的地方。
This could be because of the style of the building with its wide marble staircases and Roman columns.
由于这所建筑的风格,宽大的大理石楼梯和罗马时代的圆柱,它确实是如此。
Yes, it doesn't look like a normal media centre but that's because it wasn't designed to be one.
是的,它看起来不像是一个正常的媒体中心,那是因为它不是为此设计的。
Did you know that back in 1929 it nwas declared – or reported – to be the most expensive building in the world having cost around two million pounds to build!
你知道在1929年它是怎么被报道的吗,它因花费了二百万英镑而被称作世界上最昂贵的建筑。
Well was all that money worth it?
所有的钱真的值得吗?
It probably was if we listen to what some BBC staff have been saying.
它可能是的如果我们听一些BBC的员工一直所说的。
This producer thinks it's a special place.
这些生产者认为它是个特殊的地方。
Listen to his reasons…
听听他的理由。
I don't know whether it's just the physical building, the bricks and mortar of Bush House, or the fact that we have a sort of United Nations of broadcasting here, but I think maybe it's a bit of both.
我不知道是否是因为它只是个物质上的建筑,砖块和水泥构成的布什大厦,或者是因为我们在这里有联合国的广播,但我认为这两种都有。
It's not a bespoke broadcasting centre and that's part of its charm.
这不是一个定制的广播中心,这就是它的魅力的一部分。
It's a rabbit warren of corridors and crazy modifications and things and that's part of what makes it special I think.
是兔窝式居民区的走廊和疯改建之类的东西让我觉得它非同一般。
So there are two things that have made Bush House special.
那么是这两个东西使得布什大厦很特别。
The physical building – that means the bricks and mortar that it has been built with.
实体建筑意味着它是由砖块和水泥建成的。
But he also suggests something else.
但是他也提到了其他东西。
He says it could be the United Nations of broadcasting.
他说可能是由于联合国广播。
He means it's a very multi-cultural place.
他的意思是这里是一个多文化的地方。
There are people of all different nationalities broadcasting to all different parts of the World.
这里有不同国家广播的工作人员,他们关注着世界上所有不同的地方。
He also talked about the charm of the place.
他也提到这个地方的魅力。
This is the character, which he says is due to not being a bespoke broadcasting centre.
他说由于它是作为一个非定制的广播中心,这也是它的特征。
As we said, it wasn't originally built for radio.
就像我们说的,它不是一开始就为无线电而建造的。
But since the BBC moved in, things have been changed and added on – these are the crazy modifications he mentioned.
但是自从BBC搬进来之后,事情就发生了改变,并变得多了起来,这就是他提到的疯狂改建。
To modify something is to change something.
修改就是改变。
And did you hear how he described the corridors?
你听到他是怎么描述走廊的吗?
Yes, like rabbit warrens!
是的,就像兔子窝!
Lots of long dingy passages where yousee producers running from office to studio.
有很多幽长的昏暗通道,那里你能看见制片人从办公室匆匆跑到演播室。
There's one thing about Bush House that another producer has criticised – or made negative comments about.
还有一个其他制片人批评或是对布什大厦做出消极评论的地方。
See if you can work out what it is…
看看你能不能知道是什么?
I love this building, every bit of it.
我爱这个建筑的每一点。
I loved it from the very first moment I entered the building.
我自一走进入这个大厦就喜欢上了它。
The only thing I wasn't happy about were the carpets.
我唯一不喜欢的地方是地毯。
They were worn out, with lots of holes, very undignified. I thought my God!
地毯已经磨坏了,有很多的破洞,非常不雅观。我的上帝啊!
Such a beautiful building, such a fantastic organisation, such awful carpets!
这么漂亮的建筑,这么优秀的组织,却有这么槽糕的地毯!
Ha!
哈!
He wasn't happy about the carpets.
他对地毯不满意。
He described them as very worn out, lots of holes and very undignified so lacking in dignity, not really representing the BBC.
不是代表BBC,他把它描述成磨坏的、很多破洞的、不雅观或是如此不高雅。
It's not what he was expecting as the building was beautiful and it was such a fantastic organisation.
这不是他所期待的漂亮的、优秀组织的建筑。
Well they do say 'first impressions count' and his first impression of the BBC were the awful carpets!
他们确实说了“第一印象”,他对BBC的第一印象竟是槽糕的地毯。
How about you Rosie?
你呢,罗西?
What impression did you get when you first entered Bush House?
当你第一次走进布什大厦的时候,你的第一印象是什么呢?
Well I was in awe when I first entered Bush House because it's just so huge and very beautiful.
当我走进布什大厦的时候,我充满了敬畏,因为它是如此的宏大和美丽。
Sadly we won't be walking into Bush House for much longer as most of us are moving to a new state-of-the-art building somewhere else in London.
遗憾的是我们以后再也不能走进布什大厦了,因为我们大多数人将要搬到伦敦其他地方新建的大厦里。
But I guess this building will remain the spiritual home of the World Service.
但是我猜这栋建筑将是国际广播的精神之家。
Rob, what will you remember about this place?
罗伯,在这个地方你会记起什么?
Well as you say, it's the quirkiness, all the corridors and hidden little rooms.
就像你说的,所有的走廊和不明显的小空间真的很诡异。
And also the old-fashioned studios that seem to have lots of wood in them, for some reason!
由于某些原因,老式的工作室里有很多木质材料。
So that's what I remember but do you remember the question I set you today?
我知道那个,那你还记得今天我给你设置的问题吗?
Yes I do.
是的,我记得。
Good.
很好。
Earlier I asked you if you knew when the construction of the first part of Bush House (Centre Block) was completed?
先前我问你你是否知道布什大厦的第一部分建筑(大厦中心)是在什么时候竣工的吗?
And I said b) 1923.
我回答是b)1923年。
And you are right.
你答对了。
Well done!
做得很好!
The answer is indeed 1923.
答案确实是在1923年。
That's when the main part of Bush House was completed.
那是布什大厦的主要建筑竣工的时间。
And did you also know that Bush House was named after Irving T. Bush who was one of the designers.
你一定也知道布什大厦是以它的设计师之一欧文T布什命名的。
It was originally built to be a world trade centre.
它起先是被当做世界贸易中心来建造的。
I didn't know that but that's quite incredible!
我不知道,但是这太不可思议了。
I wonder what will happen to it next?
我不知道接下来将会发生什么?
I'm not really sure actually.
我真的不确定。
OK Rosie, could you please remind us of some of the vocabulary we have heard today?
好的,罗西,你能回忆起今天我们所听到的词汇吗?
upheaval
剧变
reflect
反映
staff
职员
declared
公开宣布的
charm
魅力
bespoke
定做的
modification
修改
criticised
批评
undignified
不庄重的
state-of-the-ar
文艺部落
Thanks Rosie.
谢谢你,罗西。
That's all for now, but do join us again soon for more 6 Minute English!
今天到此为止,请继续关注6分钟英语!
Bye for now!
再见!
Bye bye!
拜拜!