发布会必须进行!
The show must go on
Welcome back to English at Work. It’s an exciting day for Tip Top Trading.
欢迎回到职场英语。今天可是令人兴奋的一天。
It’s launching its latest product – the plastic aubergine.
顶级贸易公司将推出其最新产品——塑料茄子。
The launch is taking place at a swanky hotel; lots of clients have turned up - but there’s one important person missing.
发布会在豪华酒店举行,很多客户都已到场,但某个关键人物还没来。
(whispering) Has anyone seen Anna?
(说悄悄话)有人看见Anna没?
I haven’t seen her all morning. Tom, you were with her last.
我一早上都没见她。Tom,你是最后和她在一起的人。
That was last night at the pub. She was drowning her sorrows.
但那是昨天晚上,她伤心在酒吧买醉呢。
Drowning her sorrows?
伤心买醉?
Yeah. She saw Dave from IT with another woman – Julie from accounts, actually. She was very upset.
是啊,她看见IT男Dave和另一个女人在一起,就是会计Julie。Anna可是难过死了。
Oh poor Anna.
哦,可怜的Anna。
So you left her drowning in the pub?
你把她一个人扔那买醉了?
And who’s got the prototype aubergine to show at the launch?
发布会要展示的茄子模型在谁那?
Oh no! Anna has. It’s in her bag. What are we going to do?
呃,不是吧,在Anna的包里。我们该怎么办?
Panic!
完蛋了!
No Denise. Calm down. I’ll just have to make a start and I’m sure Anna will turn up. OK, here goes.
别慌,Denise,冷静点。我先上去开始,Anna一定会来的。好了,我去了。
(Clears throat) Excuse me everyone, could you all gather round? Our presentation is about to begin.
(清嗓子)打扰一下,大家能往一起聚聚吗?我们的展示马上开始。
I’l l change the slides for you on the computer Paul. I’m good with technology.
Paul,我帮你切换幻灯片。我技术可是很好呢。
Okey dokey. (Stumbling over words) Ermm…ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming to our presentation.
没问题。(结结巴巴)呃,女士们,先生们,谢谢大家出席发布会。
We have something very exciting to…ermm…show you and it’s not a fruit…ha ha…
我们要展示一个非常精彩的产品,不过不是水果哦,哈哈。
(Door opens) ….and here it is – fresh from the factory – our plastic aubergine! (Polite applause)
(门打开)在这呢。。。刚刚加工出来的,塑料茄子!(鼓掌声)
Anna, you’re just in time.
Anna,你来的真及时。
I know. I think I drank a bit too much last night and now I can’t remember what to say.
我知道。昨晚喝的有点多,现在想不起该说啥了。
Well, you need to convince everyone that this is best product on the market and that it’s something they really want.
好吧。你要让大家相信这是市场上最棒的产品,是他们真正想要的东西。
You could say “We believe this high quality product is something your business needs”
你可以说“我们相信这款高质产品正是您业务所需。”
and, “Our new product has been designed to the highest specifications”
“它(新产品)符合最高规格设计。”
and tell people that “This product is the perfect decoration on any café or restaurant table”
“是咖啡馆或餐厅桌上的完美装饰。”
tell them that , and the orders will come flying in!
就这样告诉大家,订单会扑天而至的!
What? They’ll send them by aeroplane?
什么?用飞机送订单?
No Anna! Just do your presentation and see what happens.
不是,Anna。你只需做好展示,观察所发生的事情。
OK then. (To the audience) Yes everyone, this aubergine may look good enough to eat
那好吧。(对观众说)大家请看,这款茄子可能看起来很好吃,
but it is made of the highest quality plastic and I’m convinced it’s something your business needs.
但它是用高质塑料做成的,我深信它正是您的业务所需。
Err yes, that’s right. It may be plastic but it is… fantastic!
呃,没错。它或许是塑料的,但却非常奇妙!
Thank you Paul. This product has been designed to the highest specifications. It’s tough and durable.
谢谢你,Paul。这款产品符合最高规格设计,坚韧而耐用。
Yeah but why would I want to buy it?
但我们为什么要买它?
‘Cos it’s cheap mate!
因为它很便宜!
No Tom. It’s because it is the perfect decoration on any café or restaurant table. It shows you’re serious about food.
Tom,不是这样的。因为它是咖啡馆或餐厅桌上的完美装饰,会显得您对食物很认真。
And it doesn’t go mouldy.
而且它不会发霉。
Yes. We’re taking orders today and… and…
是的,您今天就可订单。而且。。。
And? And what, Anna?
而且?而且什么?Anna?
I don’t know what to say next.
我也不知道是什么了。
Offer them a discount and a guarantee.
而且还可提供折扣和保证。
Oh right. If you place an order for more than 1,000, we can offer you a generous discount.
哦,对的。如果您订单数量超过1000,我们可提供优厚折扣。
Plus, all our products come with a money - back guarantee.
而且,所有产品都有退款保证。
I like it!
哇,我喜欢!
Well done Anna. She gave a clear presentation , and sounded enthusiastic about the product.
做得好,Anna。她的展示清晰明确,听起来对产品很有热情。
Here’s a reminder of some of the things she said:
下面一起回顾下她用到的短语:
It is made of the highest quality plastic and I’m convinced it’s something your business needs.
它由高质塑料做成,我想正是您业务所需。
This product has been designed to the highest specifications. It’s tough and durable.
这款产品符合最高规格设计,坚韧而耐用。
It is the perfect decoration on any café or restaurant table.
它是咖啡馆或餐厅桌上的完美装饰。
We can offer you a generous discount. Plus, all our products come with a money- back guarantee.
我们可提供优厚折扣,而且,所有产品都有退款保证。
Thanks for listening. Tom has a few slides to show, which illustrate how the aubergine has been designed . Tom … Tom?
谢谢大家聆听。下面由Tom为大家播放幻灯片,展示塑料茄子的设计过程。Tom,Tom?
(whispering) Oh no, it’s frozen, the slides won’t change.
(悄悄话)哦,不要!卡住了,幻灯片不能切换了。
(From back of room) It’s OK, I can fix it, I am the IT guy after all .
(从房间后面)没关系,我来处理,毕竟我是IT男嘛。
Dave? What are you doing here? Cheating on Anna like that. Here Anna, give me that aubergine.
Dave?你来这干嘛?叫你欺骗Anna。Anna,把茄子给我。
Tom, no!
Tom,不要!
(Throwing the aubergine) There, that’s for upsetting Anna. (Window smashes)
(扔出茄子)看招,叫你让Anna伤心!(窗户碎了)
Ha ha - missed me!
哈哈,没打着!
Ha! Well the aubergine’s certainly tough and durable.
哈,这茄子真是坚韧耐用。
Tom, Anna, I think we’d better talk about this back in my office.
Tom,Anna,回我办公室好好谈谈这事。
Crikey! That was certainly a spectacular presentation.
哎呀!这真是个精彩的展示。
Let’s hope Tom’s outburst doesn’t stop the orders flying in – but not via the window!
真希望Tom的爆发不会影响订单飞至,当然,不是通过窗户!
Find out next time on English at Work. Bye!
一起在下期职场英语中寻找答案吧。再见!