你睡不着时要做什么?
What to do when you can't sleep
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Neil.
大家好,欢迎来到六分钟英语。我是尼尔。
And I'm Rob.
我是罗伯。
You look tired, Rob.
你看起来很疲惫,罗伯。
Well, I didn’t sleep well last night.
好吧,我昨晚没睡好。
I was tossing and turning all night, but I couldn’t get to sleep.
我整夜辗转反侧,但是没睡着。
Well, that’s a coincidence, as our topic today is insomnia - the condition some people suffer from when they find it difficult to get to sleep when they go to bed.
好吧,巧合啊,我们今天的主题就是失眠——一些人上床睡觉时发现难以入睡时的症状。
Thankfully I don’t really have insomnia, but every now and again, I find it difficult to get to sleep.
幸运的是我并没有真的失眠,但时不时地,我发现很难入睡。
Well, keep listening and we might have some advice to help with that, but first, a question:
好吧,继续听,我们或许会有一些建议来帮助解决那个问题,但首先是一个问题:
What is the record for the longest a human has gone without sleep?
人类不睡觉的最长时间纪录是多少?
Is it: A) about seven days? B) about nine days? Or C) about 11 days?
是A)大约7天?B) 大约9天?还是C)大约11天?
What do you think, Rob?
你觉得呢,罗伯?
All of those seem impossible!
所有那些似乎都是不可能的!
So I’ve got to go with the shortest - about seven days.
所以我选最短的时间——大约7天。
Well, if you can stay awake long enough, I’ll let you know at the end of the programme.
好吧,如果你能保持清醒足够长时间,我会在节目结束时告诉你。
Dr Michael Grandner is an expert in all things to do with sleep.
迈克尔·格兰德纳博士是睡眠方面的专家。
He was interviewed recently on the BBC radio programme Business Daily.
他最近接受了BBC广播Business Daily节目的采访。
He was asked what his best tip was to help you get to sleep if you are finding it difficult.
他被问到,如果人们发现入睡困难时,他帮助人们入睡的最佳建议是什么。
What was his suggestion?
他的建议是什么?
And it sounds counter-intuitive, but trust me I’ve got decades of data behind this statement: If you cannot sleep, get out of bed.
这听起来是有悖直觉的,但相信我,我有数十年的数据支持这项表述:如果你睡不着,那就起床吧。
So Rob, how does he suggest you help yourself to get to sleep?
所以罗伯,他建议人们如何帮助自己入睡呢?
Well actually, he says that the best thing to do is to get out of bed!
好吧,事实上他说最好的办法就是起床!
That sounds exactly the opposite of what you should do, doesn’t it?
那听起来和你应该做的正相反,不是吗?
Well, he does say that his advice is counter-intuitive, which means exactly that.
是的,他确实说他的建议是有悖直觉的,意思也正是那样。
That it is the opposite of what you might expect.
它与你的预期相反。
And he says that this advice is backed up by decades of research.
他说这个建议有几十年研究的支持。
A decade is a period of 10 years and when we say decades, it’s a general term for many years, at least 20.
“A decade”是10年的时间,当我们说“decades”的时候,它是很多年的统称,至少是20年。
Let’s hear that advice again from Dr Grandner.
让我们再听听格兰德纳博士的那个建议。
And it sounds counter-intuitive, but trust me I’ve got decades of data behind this statement: If you cannot sleep, get out of bed.
这听起来是有悖直觉的,但相信我,我有数十年的数据支持这项表述:如果你睡不着,那就起床吧。
So why is getting out of bed good advice?
所以为什么起床是个好建议?
Here’s the explanation from Dr Grandner.
这里是格兰德纳博士的解释。
When you’re in bed and you’re not asleep and you do that over, and over, and over again for extended periods of time, the ability of the bed to put you to sleep starts getting diluted.
当你躺在床上未能入睡,你一遍又一遍,一遍又一遍,长时间这样做的时候,床让你入睡的能力开始削弱。
Not only that, it starts getting replaced by thinking, and tossing and turning, and worrying, and doing all these things.
不仅如此,入睡开始被思考、辗转反侧、担忧和所有这些事情所取代。
When you’re not asleep, get out of bed.
当你睡不着的时候,就起床吧。
This is probably one of the most effective ways to prevent chronic insomnia.
这或许是预防长期失眠最有效的方法之一。
It’s also one of the really effective ways to treat it.
它同样是治疗失眠真的有效的方法之一。
It won’t work 100% of the time, but it will actually work more than most people think.
它不会百分之百起作用,但它实际上会比大多数人认为的更有效。
We normally sleep in beds.
我们通常在床上睡觉。
Beds are designed to make it easy to sleep, but if we can’t sleep, that makes the bed’s impact weaker.
床的设计是为了让人们更容易入睡,但是如果我们睡不着,那就会削弱床的作用。
As Dr Grandner says, 'it dilutes the power of the bed to help us sleep'.
正如格兰德纳博士所说,“它削弱了床帮助我们入睡的能力。”
When you dilute something, you make it weaker.
当你“dilute”某物时,你会使它变弱。
For example, you can dilute the strength of a strong fruit juice by adding water to it.
例如,你可以通过加水来稀释浓果汁的浓度。
So if we stay in bed, tossing and turning, which is the expression we use to describe moving around in the bed trying to get to sleep,
所以如果我们躺在床上辗转反侧,那是我们用来描述在床上动来动去,试图入睡的表达,
we begin to think of the bed as place where we don’t sleep rather than as a place where we do sleep.
我们会开始认为床是我们不睡觉的地方而不是我们睡觉的地方。
So, get out of bed to break the connection.
所以,从床上起来,断开这种联系吧。
This he says is a positive way to approach chronic insomnia.
他说这是治疗长期失眠的积极方法。
Chronic is an adjective that is used to describe conditions that are long-lasting.
“Chronic”是用来形容长期的一个形容词。
So we’re not talking here about occasionally not being able to get to sleep, but a condition where it happens every night.
所以我们这里说的不是偶尔睡不着,而是每晚都睡不着的状况。
Let’s hear Dr Grandner again.
让我们再听听格兰德纳博士的观点。
When you’re in bed and you’re not asleep and you do that over, and over, and over again for extended periods of time, the ability of the bed to put you to sleep starts getting diluted.
当你躺在床上未能入睡,你一遍又一遍,一遍又一遍,长时间这样做的时候,床让你入睡的能力开始削弱。
Not only that, it starts getting replaced by thinking, and tossing and turning, and worrying, and doing all these things.
不仅如此,入睡开始被思考、辗转反侧、担忧和所有这些事情所取代。
When you’re not asleep, get out of bed.
当你睡不着的时候,就起床吧。
This is probably one of the most effective ways to prevent chronic insomnia.
这或许是预防长期失眠最有效的方法之一。
It’s also one of the really effective ways to treat it.
它同样是治疗失眠真的有效的方法之一。
It won’t work 100% of the time, but it will actually work more than most people think.
它不会百分之百起作用,但它实际上会比大多数人认为的更有效。
Time to review today’s vocabulary, but first, let’s have the answer to the quiz question.
是时候回顾今天的词汇了,但是首先让我们揭晓今天测试问题的答案。
What is the record for the longest a human has gone without sleep?
人类不睡觉的最长时间纪录是多少?
Is it: A) about seven days? B) about nine days? C) about 11 days?
是A)大约7天?B) 大约9天?还是C)大约11天?
What did you think, Rob?
你觉得呢,罗伯?
I thought it must be about seven days.
我想它肯定是7天。
Well, I’m afraid you’re not right.
好吧,恐怕你没回答对。
The answer, rather amazingly, is actually just over 11 days.
答案相当令人惊讶,实际上比11天多一点。
Extra bonus points for anyone who knew that that was done in 1964 by someone called Randy Gardner.
任何人知道这是兰迪·加德纳在1964年做的事都可以获得额外加分。
That’s extraordinary.
这太令人惊奇了。
It’s difficult to imagine even going a couple of days without sleep, but 11!
一两天不睡觉都很难想象,但是11天啊!
I wonder how long he slept for after that!
不知道在那之后他睡了多久!
14 hours and 40 minutes.
14个小时40分钟。
You’ve got all the answers, haven’t you?
你已经知道所有答案了,不是吗?
Well when I can’t sleep, I get up and read trivia!
嗯,当我睡不着的时候,我就起来读一些冷知识!
And now it’s time for the vocabulary.
现在是词汇时间了。
Today our topic has been insomnia.
今天我们的主题是失眠。
This is the word for the condition of not being able to sleep.
这个词用来形容无法入睡的状态。
And something that people do when they are trying to sleep is toss and turn in bed.
当人们试图睡觉的时候,他们所做的事就是在床上辗转反侧。
The opposite of what seems logical or obvious is counter-intuitive.
似乎合乎逻辑或显而易见的东西的反面是有悖直觉的。
It goes against what you might expect.
它与你或许期望的相反。
So if you can’t sleep, get out of bed.
所以如果你睡不着,就起床吧。
Our next word is diluted.
我们的下一个词是“diluted”。
This is from the verb to dilute which means 'to make something less strong'.
这个词源于动词“削弱”,意思是“使某物变弱”。
And finally there was the adjective chronic.
最后是形容词“chronic”。
This is an expression for a medical condition that is long-lasting.
这是对长期身体状况的一种表达。
So someone who has chronic insomnia regularly has difficulty getting enough sleep.
所以长期失眠的人通常很难获得足够的睡眠。
It’s not just something that happens now and again.
这不是只偶尔发生的事情。
Well, we hope that 6 Minute English isn’t a cure for insomnia, but I do find listening to podcasts and spoken radio helps me get to sleep.
好吧,我们希望六分钟英语不是失眠的治愈之法,但我确实发现听播客和口语广播能帮助我入睡。
Well, before we all drop off to sleep from the comforting tone of your voice, Rob, it’s time for us to say goodbye.
好吧,罗伯,在我们大家从你那舒适的语调中入睡之前,是时候说再见了。
That's it for this programme.
以上就是本期节目的全部内容。
For more, find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and our Youtube pages, and of course our website: bbclearningenglish.com,
想了解更多,请登录我们的Facebook、Twitter、Instagram和Youtube页面,当然还有我们的网站:bbclearningenglish.com,
where you can find all kinds of other programmes and videos and activities to help you improve your English.
在那里你可以找到各种各样的节目、视频和活动来帮助你提高英语水平。
Thank you for joining us, and goodbye.
感谢你的参与,再见。
Byebye!
拜拜!