烟花也“愤怒”
Fireworks
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. You are Rob…
大家好,欢迎来到BBC地道英语,这是罗伯。
And you are Feifei. Hello!
这是菲菲。大家好!
So, another year over, Rob.
一年又过去了,罗伯。
Yes and what a year it's been –
是的,那是怎样的一年啊!
and there's just one more thing to do before the next year begins. Party!
不过在新的一年来临之前,我们还有一件事要做——聚会!
Yes, New Year means party season –
是的,新年之际,一定少不了各种庆祝的——
so are you going to a party, Rob?
所以你是要去参加聚会吗,罗伯?
Yeah, Richard's invited me to his New Year bash at his house.
是的,理查德邀请我去去他家里参加新年聚会。
Everyone's going – apart from you of course.
大家都要去——当然除了你。
And I've even invited Zhong.
而且我还邀请了钟。
Oh dear.
天哪。
Why do you say that?
为什么这么说?
Well, if she goes, there will be fireworks.
好吧,如果她去的话,你就会有“fireworks”了。
Fireworks! Great!
烟花!太棒啦!
Not great, Rob.
并不是,罗伯。
When we say there will be 'fireworks' we don't always mean the colourful exploding things we see in the sky.
我们有时候说“fireworks”并不是指空中的美丽烟花。
Sometimes 'fireworks' describes a lot of angry shouting.
它有时候也会被用来描述某人愤怒得大喊大叫。
So if Zhong turns up at the party, there’s bound to be some shouting and arguing.
所以,如果钟也去的话,聚会上肯定会时不时出现愤怒的大叫声和争吵声。
Here are some more examples of fireworks…
我们先来听几个例子吧……
The fireworks started when I told her what I really thought about her boyfriend!
当我告诉她我对她男朋友的真实看法时,她就生气地大叫起来。
Argh! I'm going to be late again. The boss is going to be furious when I get to work. There's going to be fireworks!
啊,我又要迟到了!等我进办公室的时候老板就要暴怒了,马上就要大吼起来了。
There's a public meeting about the new building plans tonight – and there's bound to be fireworks!
今天晚上有关于新建筑计划的公开会,肯定少不了愤怒的争吵。
This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English.
这里是BBC英语教学的《地道英语》节目。
And I'm with Rob, who's off to a party where there might be fireworks… that's a lot of angry shouting.
这是我的搭档罗伯,他要去参加一个新年聚会,这个聚会上虽然少不了“烟花”,但也可能会出现“愤怒的叫喊”。
Enjoy the party, Rob!
玩的开心,罗伯。
Thanks. So why might there be lots of shouting?
谢谢,所以那里为什么会出现很多愤怒的叫喊声?
Well, Zhong is Richard's ex-girlfriend.
好吧,钟是理查德的前女友。
Their relationship didn't end well.
他们分手的时候不是很友好。
Oh dear. The situation sounds a bit 'explosive'.
天哪,这看来是要“爆炸”了。
Maybe it won't be such a happy New Year.
或许这不会是一个开心的新年了。
Errr, what are your plans, Feifei?
菲菲,你准备怎么过?
Me? Well I'm meeting my good friends by the river in London to watch the real fireworks – they're always amazing.
我?我和好朋友们准备在泰晤士河边看跨年烟花表演——超赞的!
So, there'll be no angry shouting?
所以,那里不会有“愤怒的叫喊”?
Nope. Just cheering and laughter.
当然,只会有欢声笑语。
Sounds great. Maybe I could join you?
听起来很不错,我可以和你们一起吗?
Errr, go on then as it's New Year's Eve.
呃,好吧,就当这是跨年夜。
Great – it looks like our New Year celebrations will go with a bang!
太棒了——看来我们的新年庆祝活动要伴随着烟花盛开的“砰砰砰”了。